Search results

1. P

Replacing inductors, sand cast resistors - necessary? Good idea?

Take a breath percivilla. It's incumbent to provide data on the person(s) making certain claims. That's the way life works. My opinion doesn't matter ... but I'm not making any claims either. Measure your loudspeaker frequency and distortion responses before and after said swaps to show some...
  2. P

Seems to me we're talking aesthetics vs performance here. Medium rare vs well done. Some days I don't trust my ears as far as I can throw them. I do trust measurement though. They don't lie to me. It's customary to back up claims with data. You can back up the claims with subjective statements...
  3. P

It's not. Should be revealing though for somebody just swapping out good components because somebody else said they should.
  4. P

Anybody that is interested in evaluating component changes should at least try to be impartial. I know that's hard to do but maybe, do one loudspeaker "upgrade" (leaving it's mate untouched) and have a wife/kids/drinking buddy swap between the two while you're blindfolded. See if you can pick...
  5. P

automojo ... are you familiar with confirmation bias? "the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories." What you say sounds well and good but where is the data to support it? Simply saying "I can hear a difference" doesn't mean too much. If you can...
  6. P

"Resistors with the most excess noise are old-fashioned carbon composition resistors. Carbon film resistors are a bit better, and metal film resistors have even lower excess noise figures. The best resistors for avoiding excess noise are foil and wire-wound resistors with ceramic glass, or...
  7. P

Noise is misleading here. All circuits make "noise". Typical noise levels of a resistor is way below the noise floor .. as in you can't hear it. "Noise" of an FM channel is -134db down as an example. Not audible. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson%E2%80%93Nyquist_noise
  8. P

The Final Chapter MOJO II+ SUPER AMT3's

13stoploss ... are the Transar's making music?
  9. P

Midrange front and center please ..

When I hear "recessed mid range" the first thing that comes to mind is a phase alignment issue between the drivers. Many loudspeakers opt for a 2nd order filter which is a real bear to get right, as far as phase alignment is concerned, on a flat baffle. The resulting cancellation, due to phase...
  10. P

ESS AMT 1a initial impressions

I've had the Heil tweeter w/the narrow center gap housing for many years. Also have gone through a few diaphragms in that time. If you get around to doing measurements on them you'll see the 6-8db peak around 7-8khz. Taming that will render them "not so bright".
  11. P

Accoustic Air Suspension

The stuffing slows the rear wave and that's what makes the enclosure appear to be larger. If you can measure the loudspeaker response any standing waves will probably show up in a waterfall plot. They will appear to be parallel blips across the frequency range. If not, loose poly-fill is going...
  12. P

Ribbon tweeter orientation: Vertical vs horizontal

If you're considering (2) drivers, one vertical, one horizontal, covering the same frequency range that would probably create an issue with "combing" in their frequency response. Wavelengths get pretty short as frequency rises and drivers tend to have narrowing dispersion as the frequencies they...
  13. P

Restoring another set of ESS AMT 3 Rock Monitors

I don't understand what you're saying. The day new drivers are swapped into an enclosure w/crossover designed for other drivers and it works great is the day you should grab a couple lottery tickets.
  14. P

Restoring another set of ESS AMT 3 Rock Monitors

Doesn't really matter which crossover is in there after you swap in new drivers.
  15. P

HEIL AMT DATA THREAD

Looking forward to what you find Robbie_uC
  16. P

New “high endish” speakers - missing mid range

If you don't like 'em ... take 'em back. I'm sure you did this but if not, take some audio samples along with you shopping. Pieces that you know, how they should sound. If the sales person won't accommodate, take yourself and your 6k somewhere else.
  17. P

HEIL AMT DATA THREAD

Hmmm, I've heard of some 8ohm diaphragms ... 4ohm is typical and they usually measure 3.5ohm DC resistance. You sure you're reading 9ohm DC? Maybe the diaphragm is pooched ... ribbon strips touching someplace? I've been wanting to get a hold of the different housings to test differences, w/same...
  18. P

Can a back loaded horn cabinet be made around an audax speaker

Depends on what sort of bass response you want. The higher tuning will give more "slam" and the lower tuning will extend the bass lower using the room to reach down. Go for the lower tuning if you're not a bass head.
  19. P

Higher vol. levels required for records vs FM

I thought the radio stations started maxing out their signals awhile ago .. as in "loudness wars". I wouldn't go by their levels as any kind of comparison to what's right.
  20. P

1960 JBL 001 loaded speaker score today!

Fix the pic!
  21. P

Critical fq range 300hz- say 4k hz not right = DISTORTION/FATIGUE

Mortons new "salt based capacitors" will remove the stink, the muddy and highly polluted mid range replacing it with a nice softer bouquet.
  22. P

HORN QUESTION

Cool! I like the look.
  23. P

HORN QUESTION

One way to verify TA is to measure the loudspeakers frequency response @ the xo with one of the drivers polarity reversed. A null will appear in the response @ the xo frequency. The deeper the null is reflects the optimal driver position. With DSP you'd apply a delay to one of the signals eg. a...
  24. P

EPI Masonite Tweeters - The "sinking screw" hole fix

Problem with masonite and MDF for that matter is that when you break the outer "hardened" layer moisture is allowed to attack the surface below. That weakens the surrounding material. I'd think using a truss headed screw would be the best in this case. The tiny amount of screw head sticking up...
Back
Top Bottom