1. 1TUFSS

Pioneer SR-303 lamp replacement - LED?

well done! :)
  2. 1TUFSS

Pioneer SX-3900, worth a recap?

if it's a multi-voltage unit, I'm after a dead one to restore
  3. 1TUFSS

Repairing SA-9800 #2: Dim display,Dirty Relay & Poor mechanical contacts

Great to see all of this - it's worthy of a sticky. Salvation at last for us SA-9800 lifers.
  4. 1TUFSS

Nikon's Z Series Mirrorless Cameras

Disappointing. Nikon needs to lift its game, or they're doomed to play second fiddle to Canon in the mirrorless era.
  5. 1TUFSS

Converting old transparencies and negatives to digital.

Just reset the measurements or save to any image format that disregards size.
  6. 1TUFSS

^ This. Of course the scanner is going to default to 24x36, that's the real-world size of what it's scanning. It's either still producing a large-resolution file, or if it is not, the DPI setting is too low - or the scanner is simply unsuitable for film.
  7. 1TUFSS

They are out there, and many more so in the AF camp. Nikon made them by not bothering to update lenses in a timely manner, which suits these people just fine - until the manufacturer decides to break compatibility for largely arbitrary reasons. That is the crux of the matter. Some will complain...
  8. 1TUFSS

This was done to preserve PDAF functionality with E mount cameras which lacked it. I have had the chance to shoot one of these setups with a Minolta 85/1.4 and, impracticalities of a pellicle mirror aside, it performed much as I would expect for an old-school screw-focus arrangement. Some people...
  9. 1TUFSS

Nikon could do as Sony did and offer the base adapter plus a fully-featured version with integrated AF motor - it's been done before. What sticks in the craw is that Nikon's FX DSLRs have been superbly accommodating of old glass, with AF motors faster than anything from the film era (except the...
  10. 1TUFSS

By the way, in case it needs pointing out: the big drawback of SLR scanning is the lack of ICE or similar automatic dust removal. This is a massive time-saver, and at the cost of a very slight reduction in sharpness, is at least as good as Photoshop. This does not apply to B/W or Kodachrome...
  11. 1TUFSS

Any unit you can afford from the IV onwards. The earlier models use SCSI; the 4000 (pro version of the IV) uses FireWire. All later versions use USB, which is what you want. Buy Vuescan for use with them - it's worth every dollar. The 8000 and 9000 models are most likely well out of your...
  12. 1TUFSS

For their sake I hope it does happen, otherwise manual-focus shooters are better off with a cheapo third-party adapter - actually, those third parties may even opt to exploit this demand with a fully-featured adapter of their own. The FTZ does nothing for manual focus lenses: there's no...
  13. 1TUFSS

Won't be bothering with the Z cameras until they replace the atrocious FTZ adapter with one that actually bothers to cater to the millions of AI and AF lenses they have made. My ancient F4 offers an electronic rangefinder and matrix metering even with manual-focus lenses; that Nikon's latest and...
  14. 1TUFSS

Forget flatbeds - their true optical resolution is limited - and go straight for an older dedicated 35mm scanner like one of the Nikon Coolscan units. They are affordable and can still be serviced. I use a Nikon 5000 ED, which produces scans of roughly 24 MP 'true' resolution; it is sharper than...
  15. 1TUFSS

Noah Schumacher (BigVoyevoda, Hallo-Fi Electronics, Vintage Audio Restorations) Being Investigated

Had confirmation from Jason that my SX-3900 was among the units which were not recovered from Noah. The unit was delivered to him in 2016, and spare parts for 3900s (including multi-voltage transformers as used in my unit) appeared on eBay not long after he disappeared, so sadly it may have been...
  16. 1TUFSS

Repairing SA-9800 #2: Dim display,Dirty Relay & Poor mechanical contacts

@ph2113 quite a few people would be interested in a guide on performing this operation, I think
  17. 1TUFSS

Facebook groups for me from now on methinks. Thanks for the number though, much appreciated. Cheers

Facebook groups for me from now on methinks. Thanks for the number though, much appreciated. Cheers
  18. 1TUFSS

Noah Schumacher (BigVoyevoda, Hallo-Fi Electronics, Vintage Audio Restorations) Being Investigated

An acquaintance on one of my Facebook groups just posted saying that his gear is being shipped back. Hang in there everyone...
  19. 1TUFSS

I hear some people have already received their gear, but suspect these are the earliest, easiest cases. The rest will have to wait.
  20. 1TUFSS

The latter is not true. Adam is still very much alive and kicking on Facebook, and I have not a shred of doubt that he is real. He has also alerted members of his group to the ongoing investigation, and provided Detective Fiegel's contact information. Basically what Noah did was strongarm...
  21. 1TUFSS

It's what happened to Adam Tara. Noah had him over a barrel from what I hear.
  22. 1TUFSS

Replace mains bulb on Pioneer sa8800

for future reference (others attempting this job), assuming it's the fabled Fluoroscan 8800 and not one of the Japanese domestic models, it's an 8-volt 50mA bulb wired to the power supply board. This is a faceplate-off job as it's encased in a rubber shroud meant to direct the beam, and it's...
  23. 1TUFSS

Hi Joseph, not sure whether notifications are working, sent you a PM.

Hi Joseph, not sure whether notifications are working, sent you a PM.
  24. 1TUFSS

SX-3900 FM: Nothing but static

Soooooooooooooooo... after many months of cursing, desk-thumping, hair-tearing, and honestly just finding better and/or more urgent things to do, I'm bloody thrilled to say all is well in this big 3900. The bias faults were traced to a trio of partially shorted Zener diodes: D102, 104 and 106...
Back
Top Bottom