Search results

1. friarmac207

Cartridge recommendations please.

Speaking from personal experience, a Denon DL-110 HOMC cart would rock on the TD160. I have since gone to the DL-103R on mine, but going from an M97xE to the DL-110 was a mindblowing improvement on my system. Best, David
  2. friarmac207

Dual 1019 RCA jack help!

+1..
  3. friarmac207

Budget Phono Preamp: Yaqin MS-12B Vs Solid-State

I have the Yaqin MS12B, and it performs far above its paygrade for the money. I found the stock tubes a bit harsh, but after putting in some NOS replacements, it made both turntable and CD sound far more defined and rich. I was previously using the PreOut of my McIntosh MAC1900 receiver, so SS...
  4. friarmac207

2A3 SET amps. Desire sets in..

Jeez, the first one looks like a bug zappah... Said the Mainah... Sweet!
  5. friarmac207

A big old beautiful vacuum tube.
  6. friarmac207

Thank you to each of you for your input. I called Bottlehead yesterday, and after a 20 minute chat with Josh-including a love fest for Portland, Maine record stores we both adore.. Small world- I ordered the Stereomour kit. They say it'll be about a month. I am so excited to bring this amp into...
  7. friarmac207

Thanks, sebrof. I will keep the ST70 for a bit, but its currently not being used-the SCA-35 is just a sweet little amp, and its become the main rig mainstay. As for the Turn it Up sig, that would be covered by the MAC1900, and the hoarder pile of guitar tube amps that I've amassed! I'm...
  8. friarmac207

Good to hear it, marantzfan. From what I've read, my KG4s should be efficient enough, and there are posts around the web from others using them with SET amps. My room is somewhat shallow, too, so I doubt I'd ever be using more than 1-1.5 watts from the amp. My SCA-35, volume straight up at noon...
  9. friarmac207

Hi folks, since getting into tube amps with a Dynaco ST70 and then doing a full rebuild of a Dynaco SCA-35, I've been researching SET amps. I think its time to pick up/build a 2A3 SET. I've been leaning toward a Bottlehead Stereomour kit. I'd appreciate any input/thoughts on that kit from folks...
  10. friarmac207

Any upgrades for a Thorens TD160 with TP16 Tonearm and Nagatron 185E Cartridge

I think the previous posts about cover it. I'll add that putting a Denon DL110 HOMC cartridge on mine was an incredible improvement in detail and soundstage. I wasn't expecting it to be such an improvement, but it really, really made that table shine.
  11. friarmac207

School me on Dynaco amps

I have both a modded ST70 and a complete reboarded SCA-35 integrated. The ST70, with VTA board and Russian 6P3s-e tubes is a great sounding amp (I run the tubes through Klipsch KG4s..) that was easy to work on and is a delight to listen to. The SCA-35, which is basically an ST-35 amp with the...
  12. friarmac207

New audiophile table!!!

Hey, there's something to be said about a deck that's VTA is adjusted with a Bic lighter...something... Lol
  13. friarmac207

Experience w/Auditorium 23 and K&K Basic SUTs?

I will definitely post some on it. Can't wait to delve into my first LOMC cart. The table is currently running a DL110, which was a distinct upgrade over any of my other carts. I was reading up on the wood body/potting/naked configs of the 103.. I'd love to hear what changes you find with it...
  14. friarmac207

Thank you for the great input, Scott! Here's where I'm going at this point.. I ordered a DL103R from Comet Supply-hoping it'll land in a couple weeks. I found a virtually new K&K MC SUT on ebay for a great price. It has already arrived. So... I'm going to run the 103R through the K&K, and do...
  15. friarmac207

Can a Denon DL-103R reproduce High Fidelity Music ?

I'm about to put a DL103R on my Thorens TD160 Sup0er/SME M2 rig. One consideration of high fidelity that comes into play-regardless of what cart- is the limit of our hearing. Hell, I'm 50, and this youtube test (simple 20-20k sweep) show me that I lose ALL hifi info at around 17k-goes silent for...
  16. friarmac207

Tube Rollers... Looking for Good Tube Source

Jim McShane is a great source for tubes. I've purchased from him several times-always helpful and good prices. http://www.mcshanedesign.net/ cheers, David
  17. friarmac207

Good to know, Scott. Thanks for the input! David
  18. friarmac207

Thanks, folks! This gives me some more food for thought. I just don't want to make an impulse buy and then want an upgrade in a month.. Much appreciated! David
  19. friarmac207

Mofi Original Master recordings.

I have a bunch of the MoFi releases, and they are among the best vinyl in my collection. Some are pricey, but $60 for The Allman Bros Eat a Peach-new/mint/beautifully pressed is a bargain, as an example. In my experience, I've never had a bad pressing from them. David
  20. friarmac207

TD-160 SME Ser3 mounting board original or new metal type?

Here you go, Graham. http://www.soundsupports.com/
  21. friarmac207

TD-160 SME Ser3 mounting board original or new metal type?

I just mounted my SME M2-9 on a TD160 super with a soundsupports armboard, no bushings and it couldn't have been simpler, and it sounds mint! They make great armboards, for sure. David
  22. friarmac207

Hi folks, I am in the market for a SUT to match up with a Denon 103R that is on the way. I've been doing some due diligence, and I think I've narrowed down my list to the Auditorium 23 Standard and the K&K Basic kit. Does anyone have experience with both of these SUTs? Any input is greatly...
  23. friarmac207

Just Bought An AR XB

Nice table! I just finished a major restoration of an AR XA, and love it. Here is a link to Dave Archambeau's page on DIY AR tips/links. It was invaluable to me in my project. Dave is on AK pretty regularly, so along with marcmorin and Dave about, you're in good hands here...
  24. friarmac207

Pioneer PL-518?

I have a PL-518 that I picked up for $100, and it is a fine player. I have too many tables (if that's possible...), but can't bring myself to sell it. Its doing duty in our bedroom system :) $80 for one in good shape is not shabby. I put an Ortofon OM5E cart on mine, and 70s rock sounds great on...
  25. friarmac207

Joel from Vinylengine

I just contacted Joel at the end of June- mailto:j.boutreux@gmx.de... He had my order in shipment within the same day, received stateside in 12 days. I think it was 5 minutes from the time I sent the email to his response. David
Back
Top Bottom