Search results

1. PaulParrot

Hot Stampers....Anyone own any?

Anyone who buys a Hot Stamper is essentially doing so because it has the seller's blessing, and he does indeed talk a good game. But, what is the likelihood that he hears everything the same as the buyer does, and that they have the same equipment and the same taste. Also, he has admitted...
  2. PaulParrot

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass 30th Ann. Edition - Opinions?

Astley was very heavy-handed on the controls, processing the ever-loving heck out of the tapes. His main technique was to heavily de-noise everything and then try to put the music back in with EQ. He made a lot of "questionable" EQ choices. I have not heard the remastered (colorized cover)...
  3. PaulParrot

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass 30th Ann. Edition - Opinions?

Stay far far away from the remastered version (the one with the colorized cover). Jon Astley was the guy in charge of remastering and he even won an award for it, but the results are yecchy. The original vinyl is easy enough to buy on eBay, millions were pressed. That is the way to fly. If...
  4. PaulParrot

Listened to my first record today!

Need more info to say.
  5. PaulParrot

Salvaging albums from a flood

If that mold spreads, you'll wish you had never seen any of them! I would throw the whole lot in the garbage. Mold is not to be messed with. There are literally millions of cheap records out there that have no water damage to them. So why bother with junk? No matter how good of a clean-up job...
  6. PaulParrot

Record shelves

I've yet to be in a house in which the refrigerator or bathtub fell through the floor. :D Record shelves aren't going to cause any problem.
  7. PaulParrot

Record shelves

I've never heard of a record shelf killing a child. I'm sure it's a lot more dangerous riding in a school bus or skateboarding.
  8. PaulParrot

Remastered Beatles Vinyl: Will you buy?

Read post #34.
  9. PaulParrot

Record shelves

I threw a 2 x 4 Expedit on top of my 5 x 5. Both are attached to the wall. They haven't collapsed yet, knock on particle board.
  10. PaulParrot

Massive publicity, especially interviews, and word of mouth should help a lot on sales. But obviously the CD market is but a former shadow of itself, and The Beatles should have struck several years ago. If they'd have finalized the deal with i-Tunes, you can bet Apple Computer would have...
  11. PaulParrot

Record shelves

Yes, Ikea Expedit is the next best thing to building your own, and a lot easier.
  12. PaulParrot

Unwarping warped albums?

Think of how fine a single groove is in a record. Imagine how grossly it changes shape when the vinyl is warped. Consider the impossibility of the music in a single groove ever being put precisely back to its original shape EVEN IF the warp were flattened out.
  13. PaulParrot

In just several months from now, we will know if the Beatles vinyl remasters are better than the UK pressings currently available on eBay. If someone hasn't gotten around to buying Beatles albums sometime in THE LAST 40 YEARS, waiting several months more doesn't strike me as unreasonable. One...
  14. PaulParrot

Unwarping warped albums?

What Rick said. A record like you described is hopeless.
  15. PaulParrot

Yes, new vinyl remasters of The Beatles will indeed be released, just not on Sept 9. St*v* H*ffm*n let it slip out at his Forum, then had the thread deleted. He's not involved with them, though, personally. RTI is pressing them here in the States from metal parts shipped over from EMI. Vinyl...
  16. PaulParrot

Now is the WORST time to buy the blue box set. Once the new vinyl remasters come out, the price of the old will drop bigtime.
  17. PaulParrot

A few more to the classical vinyl collection today.

The great Erato label from France has been mentioned above. A bargain hunter's thrill can be had by finding Musical Heritage Society pressings that were licensed from Erato. There were many. They will say so on the back, at the bottom, with the technical information. Also mentioned were the...
  18. PaulParrot

Today's classical playlist

An awesome piece at a most righteous price.
  19. PaulParrot

The poet laureate of modern music

Dylan doesn't get any better than this: Solo, live in Dublin 5/5/66, performing "Just Like A Woman." Officially unreleased footage on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueGuzmotwaI
  20. PaulParrot

Going to see Tom Rush tonight

That was the name of my gym teacher. I guess they're probably two different people.
  21. PaulParrot

Recommendations for classical newbe

I wouldn't recommend starting with any of those ones you list. Here's what I'd do in your moccasins: Go to a library that has a decent selection of classical CDs. Figure out broadly what you like and don't like. Are you more into symphonies or chamber music? More into baroque or romantic or...
  22. PaulParrot

Today's classical playlist

Why don't you try it at 45 rpm? :music:
  23. PaulParrot

Beatles album question "Yesterday" and Today

If you can't see the black V of Ringo's shirt underneath, it's not a paste-over, so it's worth around $15 or $20.
  24. PaulParrot

WHIPPED CREAM and OTHER DELIGHTS!

I sure don't understand paying $30 for a re-issue when there are millions, literally, of used copies around, and many are in NM too.
  25. PaulParrot

Latest acquisition...Dare I open it?

Sealed inner bag photos Here is for you non-believers: Mendelssohn: Sym 4 and Schubert: Sym 8 Columbia ML 6375 (mono 2-eye) You can see the perforation on the right side, where one would rip open the sealed bag.
Back
Top Bottom