Search results

1. SimplySound

Jazz News & Reviews - Read all about it!

This is the place for any and all articles about JAZZ! Let's get it started with Mosaic Records Jazz Gazette for March 2024! https://www.mosaicrecords.com/jazz-gazette-news/
  2. SimplySound

Where do you obtain/procure your Digital Content? And why?

So, here we are in 2024, and the times may or may not be a changing! Some make a point that streaming is replacing physical digital content (CD's, SACD's, HDCD's, DxD's), but they are still being produced! As we noted in the thread 'CD Manufacturing Technology - Current State of the Art or...
  3. SimplySound

JVC (Victor) K2 Interface Technology - A blast from the past?

Or could JVC's technology be another gateway to the future? A lot has been written over the last few years in the realm of Digital Recording/Playback Technology around the 'Time Domain'. There are many who feel this is where the original Redbook CD's got it wrong. They focused exclusively on...
  4. SimplySound

CD Manufacturing Technology - Current State of the Art or Dead-end?

I found this series of articles to be interesting as a look at the 'state of the art' in CD manufacturing technology. Some say with streaming, that CD's are dead or will die eventually. I guess, but the Japanese are still bangin' em out! But why? First up: Sony Blu-Spec CD2...
  5. SimplySound

Livingston, NJ - KEF R107 w/KUBE... $1000 - Scroe!

This is a listing for what looks to be a really nice set of KEF R107's with the KUBE in Cherry. Looks to be a later set with the Hz indicators on the KUBE. For $1000, I'd call it a steal & a scroe! No affiliation...
  6. SimplySound

Digital Media Players: Views & Reviews

I thought I'd start a thread to share insights into all the various Digital Media Players (DMP) out there. A good number of them are listed in this Wiki. Tell us what you use and what you like about it. Tell us if you've done some comparisons and what you took away from the experience. Tell...
  7. SimplySound

Mastering in this day and age! We're talking Loud!

Got this in my inbox today from Cookie Marenco - Founder and Producer Blue Coast Records and Music. Given some other discussions we have been having, it got me thinking how the focus of Mastering has changed! He poses the question: What matters more to you… dynamics or a loud track? Should an...
  8. SimplySound

Jazz Reissues: Keeping up with the Labels

I love Jazz, as many on AK do! So, I thought it would be worthwhile to have a thread to keep up with new releases, as well as re-issues/re-masters. Specifically, allowing us to discover and cover the various Labels out there. Not the resellers like HDTracks, Amazon & Apple, but the companies...
  9. SimplySound

What is 'Lossless' and is 'Stereo' Lossy?

This is an interesting post in Audiophile Style entitled 'Is It Time To Rethink Lossless?' The article really gets you thinking about the music we listen to. One commentor goes so far as to say: "The philosophical question becomes: are stereo recordings "lossy" because it doesn't capture the...
  10. SimplySound

Psychoacoustic rendering (Ambiophonics): presenting the landscape

I've been I guess what you would call an audiophile for somewhere around 40 years. I've always been intrigued by the engineering that goes into trying to replicate a live studio/concert audio experience. The efforts in the 50's & 60's to enhance the popular embrace of music (Classical, Jazz &...
  11. SimplySound

Windows based Media Server: Experiences & Insights

I thought I’d create a thread for us to share our experiences optimizing a Windows based PC as a Media Server. A ‘Media Server’ is different from a ‘Streamer’ in that it maintains storage of the Digital content and generally doesn’t rely on the network to deliver that content, unless it is done...
  12. SimplySound

Fidelizer experiences & insights

Anyone using Fidelizer on their Media Server? I'm interested in all experiences and insights.
  13. SimplySound

Anthem AVM 60 experience...

Well, I decided to upgrade my Pre-Pro from an NAD T187 to a newer Anthem AVM 60. And I thought I'd write a bit of a muse on my impressions. Not a review per-say, just my sonic thoughts. I upgraded primarily because I wanted to have fully balanced outputs. I have VAC Musicblock 160's driving...
  14. SimplySound

Today's Afro-Beat & Afro-Jazz Playlist

We have a Latin Jazz & Salsa Playlist and we have a Brazilian Playlist, but I wanted to truly capture the spirit of Africa, independent of the Latin influences. In my mind this thread is all about the unique poly-rhythms and instruments of the African Continent. This is why I have combined...
  15. SimplySound

Lipinski Sound - The Pro's Studio

I thought I'd share this for awareness. Many of us use "studio monitors" as our daily drivers. Now what constitutes a studio monitor could be discussed and argued by many. Over the years names like Yamaha, JBL, KEF and Dunlavy come to mind. And I'm sure there are many others that would fall...
  16. SimplySound

Audio Reference Speakers - French Vintage HiFi!

I just ran across this VERY intriguing article in French Vintage HiFi. I came about this in a round about way. I had started a thread for Mordaunt-Short Speakers a while back. In there, I had alluded to the early MS-700 & MS-737 design that used the Decca London Horn. I knew of the...
  17. SimplySound

Do YOU clean your speaker surrounds?

We're taking the butyl rubber surrounds here! Do you protect them? If so why and with what? If not, why not?
  18. SimplySound

VAC PA160 MkII vs Standard Monobloc 160

I was wondering what the differences where between the VAC PA160 MkII and the Standard Monobloc 160. I asked this question in another thread and thought I'd add it here to maintain a record... Does anyone know what changes were made between the VAC PA160-MkII and the "Standard Multibloc" 160...
  19. SimplySound

Tube Amp Thoughts?

I know this forum gets this question all the time... what tube amp should I buy? Well I'll ask the question in context to help perhaps frame it more accurately. I am running a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV's (91db efficiency) with a Rogue ST-90 (~90-100w/Channel). It sounds great and I've rolled it...
  20. SimplySound

Speaker Spec-sheet Links

Hey folks, found this link to a wide range of speaker spec-sheets, which may be helpful to some.
  21. SimplySound

Dunlavy Scroe! $2K

Wow... this seems like a running event to me! No Afil... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649392200-dunlavy-2-scii-2-sciii-and-1-sc1av-black-finish/
  22. SimplySound

What have I done... Popping sound after warm up.

I'm a relative Tube Neophite. I bought a beautiful sounding (and looking) Rogue Audio Stereo 90 (Magnum) a couple months ago. It specifically states that you should power up the Source/Pre-Amp, prior to powering up the Amp. I had been doing that religiously, and man, the system sounded...
  23. SimplySound

Dunlavy SC-IV's - Rochester, NH - $1750

Get the sniper rifle ready! If you are so lucky to pick these up at the current bid, I'd say you scroed!!! No Afil! And for posterity!
  24. SimplySound

Dunlavy SC-III - Green Bay, Wisco-Disco - $1200 - Get the jog going!

I'd say more than a stroll is in order... Dunlavy's are getting harder and harder to come by. These are the SC-III's which are a small step down from the SC-IV's, but a big step up from the SC-II's! No Afil! More info here.... and for posterity!
  25. SimplySound

Dunlavy Audio Labs Archive - From the mind of a "Legend"!

I noticed that we didn't have a central site for discussion and archiving of information about what, I believe most would agree, was a legendary speaker line from a "Legendary" designer. I think we also would all agree that it takes some special capabilities and insight to become recognized in...
Back
Top Bottom