Search results

1. vwestlife

Magnavox MX1700

With the platter removed, position the tonearm over the center of where a record would be, then turn the spindle clockwise by hand. You should see the auto-return mechanism push that metal rod to move the tonearm back to the holder.
  2. vwestlife

Magnavox MX1700

You can easily pry out and remove the built-in 45 RPM adapter, as shown at 12:55 in this video (the view is blocked by my hand, but you can still get the jist of what I'm doing):
  3. vwestlife

TEAC. What is the correct pronunciation?

TEAC and TASCAM are both inherently English acronyms, so translating them into Japanese characters and then expecting English speakers to use the Japanese pronunciation instead of our own native pronunciation rules doesn't make much sense. TASCAM is even an English acronym within an English...
  4. vwestlife

Things I Did Not Know About Dolly Parton

She accidentally stepped on Kenny Rogers' foot while singing with him, and briefly interrupted the performance to say "excuse me!" to him:
  5. vwestlife

AV cables for audio only?

A video cable should be even better for audio, because a composite video signal has a bandwidth of 6 MHz, versus only 20 kHz (0.02 MHz) for audio.
  6. vwestlife

Just Got a Carver TX-11a With a Few Issues

Yes, that one on eBay is a Cuthbert transmitter.
  7. vwestlife

Just Got a Carver TX-11a With a Few Issues

What kind of Part 15 transmitter? If it's the Sean Cuthbert design, you may need to make this adjustment:
  8. vwestlife

And for the record:
  9. vwestlife

Learning the proper Japanese pronunciation is all well and good... if you want to pronounce it correctly while speaking Japanese. But we're not. We're conversing in English, and foreign manufacturers do often Anglicize their names. That's why the official U.S. pronunciation of Hyundai is...
  10. vwestlife

Catel Stereo/FM modulator

It's for cable FM. On some cable TV systems you could hook it up to your FM tuner and receive stereo simulcasts of TV channels (before stereo TV was implemented) and sometimes additional audio channels not available on regular over-the-air FM radio, such as background music for businesses.
  11. vwestlife

AT3600L copy?

That's the Crosley NP15 cartridge. Designed to look like an AT3600L, but not based on or compatible with one.
  12. vwestlife

Vintage VS New Phono Cartridges & Specifications

IIRC there was an agreement between cartridge manufacturers a while back to no longer specify frequency response above 20 kHz, since many LPs pressed since the 1980s have been made from digital recordings which don't contain anything above that frequency, and humans can hear about it anyway...
  13. vwestlife

"High" End Accessory

I bet clinical studies would prove that weed is a lot more effective than snake oil.
  14. vwestlife

Cassette deck repair

Here's a free copy of the service manual: https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/s/sony/sony-tc/13258983-sony-tc-229-sd-service-manual
  15. vwestlife

MQA files for bankruptcy

The downfall really began two years ago, when Golden Sound did tests proving that if you submit your master recordings to MQA encoding, it alters them in unpredictably detrimental ways -- the exact opposite of what the name "Master Quality Authenticated" promises:
  16. vwestlife

Anyone enjoy music older then you?

Classic Rock stations playing music from the '60s, '70s, and '80s are getting unusually high ratings these days with people age 18 to 34 -- all of which are too young to remember the music from when it was new. Although, to be fair, if you're in that age group and you're listening to FM radio...
  17. vwestlife

Brush or Goop?

For routine cleaning, a dry soft bristle brush works fine. For cleaning a buildup of gunk on the stylus, try adding some isopropyl alcohol, or dipping the stylus into a dry piece of Magic Eraser (melamine foam).
  18. vwestlife

Recording stereo system with external mics?

I always laugh when I use a direct hookup of a turntable or cassette deck in one of my videos, and one of the commenters asks me "what speakers are you using?" The answer is that I'm using their speakers, because that's what they're listening to it through.
  19. vwestlife

Cardas or PartsExpress RCAs

The only possible advantage is that the color coding of the channels is more distinctive. Otherwise they are identical.
  20. vwestlife

What's a deep groove LP?

"Deep groove" refers to the groove (indentation) in the label area, not the groove that the stylus plays. It's a way to tell that the record is an original pressing, and therefore might sound better than later pressings, although it's no guarantee, and sometimes the opposite is true...
  21. vwestlife

Simple electrical question.

If the device has a square-within-a-square symbol on it, that means it is double-insulated and does not require an electrical ground connection.
  22. vwestlife

Question about RCA cables. NO, not sound quality.

Only if it's about 100 feet long:
  23. vwestlife

LPs outsell CDs again, now? Yep.

Vinyl began outselling CDs in 2020 in terms of revenue, because the average new LP is almost twice as expensive as the average new CD, but not in units sold. Same thing in 2021. Now, 2022 was the first year that vinyl began outselling CDs in terms of both revenue and units sold. So that's why...
  24. vwestlife

Used SL-D2 w/ Pickering NP/AC cart + PD07-C stylus

Remove it from the headshell and the model number should be on the top.
Back
Top Bottom