Search results

1. R

What's the market like for turntables, these days?

I really shouldn't feed a troll, but I'll have one last crack at getting this back on track. Yes, I do like to have that done to what I own. It's one of the ways that I learn things, which makes me a more effective audiophile. Incidentally, you keep using the word "belittle". I haven't seen any...
  2. R

Says the man with a list of Mac gear in his sig. Looks like you've ****** this thread, so I'll bow out and come back later to discuss matters of interest with people who aren't *********. It's a shame. This could have been an interesting thread, until you wrecked it. I can't understand why...
  3. R

Most of my gear I got for bugger all. It's not the money that engages me, it's the sound. That can be had at many price points, though you seem set on establishing that your price point is higher than mine. Fine. I don't give a toss. I'm not really sure why you've gotten some mistaken...
  4. R

Ah, so opinions are verboten now? Who died and made you the AK Opinion Police? Sure it is, if you delete all of the positive stuff that I said about Chinese people and their engineering ability and just misleadingly quote a tiny part.
  5. R

I can't speak for others, but sure, I may be making assumptions. "China" is code for "cheap and shoddy", the way I used it. That's not to say that I have any prejudice against the Chinese. As a recovering engineer, I know for a fact that they can build top quality gear. It's just that we ask...
  6. R

What are your favourite sad or depressing songs?

I have a lot to pick from, given that I'm a big fan of guys like Warren Zevon and Tom Waits, but what's stuck in my head right now is Les Morts Dansant, by a less well known British band named Magnum. It seems to be about people being shot for cowardice in WWI. Of course we later learned that...
  7. R

I've been hearing reports that so-called Millennials have rediscovered vinyl. Apparently, it's as popular with them as my handlebar moustache. This weekend, I finally got around to giving my recently acquired Thorens TD-165 a whirl and I have to say, I think I'm set. This is the turntable for...
  8. R

Am I a bad person, or just a hoarder?

Thanks, VintageVibe, that is exactly the kind of to do list that I was hoping for! Some of that, I can probably figure out myself, but do you know of any helpful tutorials? I must confess to ignorance on tracking weights, etc. I have a stylus pressure gauge, but I've never used it. johnebravo -...
  9. R

KT-88/6550 SE purchase, any idea who built it?

I might be wrong, but I thought that Kegger's were done with Fred at Emotive. I gave mine a listen last night and it sounded magnificent, with my W70s. For a while, anyway. All of a sudden I lost one then both channels. This morning, I took the KT88s to my workshop and they both tested strong...
  10. R

What's a good passive pre? And let's talk about tube phono stages while we're at it.

Lots of nice kit being suggested, thanks. I do like "under the radar" stuff, so I might keep an eye out for a Garrard MRM of some flavour. The Schiit looks like a great deal and would be perfect, if it had three inputs rather than two. That said, I hardly ever use my tuner these days, so...
  11. R

Well, they're rare as far as I'm concerned. Don't rule out the possibility of somebody with more experience than I coming along and telling us that I'm wrong. Plus, there's at least a fourth one - Fred from Emotive Audio told me that he has built one too. Mine is a hybrid, with a solid state...
  12. R

I can't be any help, but this is only the third SE KT88 amp that I've ever seen. One of the others is Pete Miller's design, the other is one that I own, which we think may have been a prototype, never put into production, but we don't know by whom. PP KT88 amps seem to be common. SE, not so much.
  13. R

What TT's do you folks have

I have most of them, as long as they retailed for under $1000. Dual, Garrard, Thorens, Perpetuum Ebner, BSA, you name it. I have a bunch of Japanese ones too, but they're at a similar price point. This may be heresy, but I know the limitations of my ears. I honestly can't tell the difference...
  14. R

Well, I swapped the stylus out in the M95ED and it's playing like a champ. It needs a lube job - when I first fired it up it was a bit slow when set to 33, but a brief run at 45 broke loose whatever was dragging and it's keeping good time, for now. The only remaining obstacle is the anti-skate...
  15. R

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Up until a couple of minutes ago, it was "The guitar and other machines" by The Duritti Column. But I'm trying out a new (to me) Thorens TD-165 and I suspected that it was running a tad slow, so I swapped it out for 2112 by Rush, because I know that inside out, so am able to gauge the speed by...
  16. R

What's a good passive pre? And let's talk about tube phono stages while we're at it.

Yes, the voltage divider approach. That's how I'd go, if I built my own, but the key would be finding an enclosure that's pretty enough to not look out of place with the other kit. I have a friend who has a CNC laser engraver, so I guess I could have him do the faceplate, but I'd still need an...
  17. R

I started rambling, over in the Turntables forum, about how I want a nice passive pre and a separate tube phono stage. Then it occurred to me that this might be a better place to discuss such matters. I posted a while back about a mystery prototype amp (hybrid job, with SE KT88s - Genalex Gold...
  18. R

Fair comments, chaps. It's a TD-165 with a straight tonearm. The cart that's in there now (sans stylus) is another M95ED, so I think I'll start with that one. I had intended to give that mystery prototype amp (hybrid job, with SE KT88s - Genalex Gold Lions, no less!) a go, once I had the...
  19. R

So, a while back I got a smoking deal on an entry level Thorens. The cart was missing the stylus, so I set it aside until I got round to it. Today, I felt an urge to give it a listen. "No problem," I thought "I'll just borrow a cart from one of my others. In front of me, as I type this, are: A...
  20. R

Mystery hybrid tube amp. Solid state & KT88s. Prototype?

This started off in the Tube Audio forum, but it was suggested that I bring it over here in case anybody has any ideas. I recently got this stereo SE KT88 amp, with a solid state front end. The only markings that I can see on the boards (which look pretty professional, with SMD components) are...
  21. R

Can anyone ID this amp? Stereo, SE KT88, Hybrid...

Yeah, I found a few similar pics, doing an image search. Sadly, all that they have in common with my amp is the "front to back" form factor. Otherwise, they're nothing like it, being integrated amps with many tubes rather than a hybrid power amp with just two KT88s. Also, given what little we...
  22. R

I got it at an estate auction and can't add much as to provenance, except to say that the chap was wealthy and had no cheap or mid-fi gear. Everything was TOTL - Mac, Emotive Audio, Origin Live, Manley, EAR, etc. So, I'm confident that this is a similar level of kit. I can add this, however...
  23. R

The prototype idea is one that I hadn't considered. If that's the case, though, we may never know unless one of the designers happens to be a member here. I too read it as having a solid state front end with tube outputs. Me too! It's a little unusual in that it goes from front to back, as it...
  24. R

All I can see on the boards, so far, is "Amp1". They're very professional looking PCBs, though. I'm reluctant to tear it apart, but I might give the dental mirror a try, next time my bench is clear. I got it from an estate auction, where it was listed as a custom job by Emotive Audio, but I've...
  25. R

I recently got this stereo SE KT88 amp and this is the first time that I've had a chance to take a look at it. I haven't listened to it yet, as I'm waiting on a new stylus - though if I get impatient I might just borrow a cart from another turntable. As you can see, it's a hybrid and I can't...
Back
Top Bottom