Search results

1. robgmn

Any advanced users of JRiver here? Need help with automation

Been using JRiver for years and am interested in having it play my music list in shuffle, but to automatically throw in a "bumper" now and then to give it more of a radio feel. I actually like the music to get split up occasionally, but not with commercials, and not at perfect intervals. I've...
  2. robgmn

Any advanced users of JRiver here? Need help with automation

Been using JRiver for years and am interested in having it play my music list in shuffle, but to automatically throw in a "bumper" now and then to give it more of a radio feel. I actually like the music to get split up occasionally, but not with commercials, and not at perfect intervals. I've...
  3. robgmn

Optimus /Radio Shack Linaeum LX5

Hi all. Just got a set on the 'bay that were "great condition", but the woofer surrounds are dust (seller is making good, thankfully). Going to do new surrounds, but I have an older set of Seas (L15RC/PTV-TB H1151-08) speakers from a Tandberg teleconferencing unit. I'm considering modifying one...
  4. robgmn

Speaker impedance vs static resistance

My story: Vintage Kenwood receiver in my living room sh** the bed for no apparent reason. Local repair guy said the amp was toast and replaced it along with re-flowing some questionable solder joints. Reminded me to check my old bookshelf speakers in case one had failed and was acting more like...
  5. robgmn

Multichannel DAC - PC to AVR?

I've Googled the heck out of this, and searched here, but I seem to just go in circles that lead to more questions than answers. Mods-please move this if not in the right sub-forum! Maybe someone here can decipher my question better than Google? Does a USB DAC/soundcard exist that I can plug...
  6. robgmn

Anyone familiar with rotary encoders?

MODS - Please move to General if this shouldn't be here! i am a tinkerer and learn by diving in headfirst with both feet. Here's what I'm trying to figure out (short story): Can a 12-position mechanical rotary encoder be replaced with an optical rotary encoder, if both are 4-wire (Voltage+...
  7. robgmn

Had to repair my Carver ALIII after 20 yrs. of ownership.

Long story short: I started hearing an odd rattle from my left speaker. I assumed my son had done a "bass test" and damaged the woofer (like when he blew the dust cap off one of the drivers in my isobaric sub). I did a mechanical exam of the upright speaker (move cone in and out) and heard it...
  8. robgmn

Any appliance repair gurus here (refrigerator defrost issue)

Hi all. 'Hoping to get some help since all the local sources are closed. Dealing with a side-by-side 'fridge that has a defrost issue. The evaporator is split into two distinct "sections", a larger one on top, a smaller on the bottom & they are "separated" by a glass tube defrost element. her...
  9. robgmn

Shure M97xE cart (brush) issues

I tried to contact Shure today about this. After clicking the "Chat" button that is on their support page for the cart (in case my question wasn't in the FAQ), the Chat person told me that "Chat" wasn't for carts. She then directed me to call the toll-free number. After hearing "Your call is...
  10. robgmn

Phono stage versus line-level stage.

Got a question that I'd like to research before I have a go at it: My preamp has a phono stage with these specs: MM = 2.5mV/47 k-ohms and a line-level-in stage with these specs: CD, etc.= 150mV/47 k-ohms. If I run my TT into the line-level stage, will I only be sacrificing the RIAA...
  11. robgmn

Relay search

I figure if anyone might be able to help me, it would be another DIY'er. I'm looking for a relay for a non-audio repair, and have only been able to find it if I buy in lots of 200 or more. Wondering if anyone can point towards a comparable substitute. The original is a PCD-124D1M; 24volt coil...
  12. robgmn

Sig has too many lines?

During the switchover, a few blank lines were inserted into my signature, making it look somewhat ungainly. When I remove the blank lines (thus shortening the sig), I get a message that the sig is too long and needs to be shortened. Huh?
  13. robgmn

Old Marantz in the media

I thought there was an AK thread for vinatge equipment spotted in movies, on TV, etc., but I can't find it. Anyway, went to a movie last night and saw a commercial for Hyundai, touting their "Grammy Amplifier" program (to find up-and-comers in the music industry and commercialize them). At...
  14. robgmn

After 20+ years, my 'phones are dead.

Of course, they're unobtanium (unless I want to spend $160 on eBay for a "vinatge" set). Far from HiFi, but great to slap on when working around the house, in the garden/garage/yard/etc. Easy and comfortable.
  15. robgmn

Service manual or belt for Fisher 9235 CD player

Trying to help my brother find a belt for this player. He describes it as similar to a rubber band about 5" in diameter. I've Googled a bit for the service manual, parts list/cross reference, etc., but am having no luck. 'Anyone out there possibly have a reference for this old player?
  16. robgmn

IEC connector from PC power supply?

I'm working on a home-built amplifier, made from as many repurposed parts as possible. I have several old PC power supplies and am considering pulling one of the IEC connectors and using it for the amp. Is there any reason for me to remove the capacitors that are currently connected, or...
  17. robgmn

Can any DIYers spare two panel-mount RCA jacks?

Playing around with a homemade amp and need just two jacks. 'Seems silly to spend 5-25x the cost of the jacks on shipping and don't want to wait for China postal, when someone here might be able to help for the cost of the parts and a few stamps... I'll preimburse by P.P. for postage and the...
  18. robgmn

Steely Dan Hi-Res files

Does anyone have any Hi-Res Steely Dan files and would be willing to share a PARTIAL file? I'm not looking to steal music (thus why I only want a partial file), I'd just like to do some experimentation & comparisons of Hi-Res versus Redbook and vinyl, but I'm a cheapskate and don't want to...
  19. robgmn

"Shorting to ground"

I'm going to be working on a home-brew amplifier using some off-the shelf components and scrounged parts. The input board can be wired for balanced or unbalanced input. To use unbalanced mode, it is recommended that I short the "positive" leg of the input (V+) to ground. As it is wired now...
  20. robgmn

JST PH and Molex Micro Fit connectors needed

Hoping to get some help from anyone who can offer it. I'm working on a project and need to connect wires to these two connector types (JST PH and Molex Micro Fit). I'd be happy with pre-wired plug, but could also work with just wires that have the female metal connector on the end. Before I...
  21. robgmn

I think UPS succeeds in spite of itself.

I ordered some parts from eBay. As of yesterday morning, the tracking report showed they'd be delivered April 8th. When they didn't arrive by 6PM, I checked tracking. The update showed that they were still sitting at the origin UPS sort facility and would be delivered some time between today...
  22. robgmn

Happy Easter!

23. robgmn

Amp enclosure ideas?

I'm thinking about a project of building my own amplifier for one of my systems. I'm going to build as inexpensively as possible and need some ideas on a case to house it in. I was thinking of taking an existing BPC component that is dead -beyond-repair, gutting it and using the case...
  24. robgmn

Anyone augment their headphone experience?

Digitizing some old albums today and was reminded of something I used to do years ago. I'd listen to music with headphones on AND speakers playing. The speakers added bottom end that the 'phones could never provide and made for an entirely different experience. This later morphed into...
  25. robgmn

Manufacturers commenting on AK (?)

I read in a recent thread (and others int he past) that some mfgrs. expressed a "dislike" or disdain for this site for various reasons. My question is: why would we care what manufacturers think of the forum?
Back
Top Bottom