Search results

1. Northwinds

Can an Amplifier make this huge difference in sound?

An amp can make a huge difference. Slew rate, damping, reserve power for transients. A good amp will point out bad things in your system. I do not use tone controls or loudness as they color sound. Then your speakers need to do stuff right with that clean power. My amp has near zero THD+N at...
  2. Northwinds

Scuzzer is no longer with us.

RIP Sir
  3. Northwinds

Apt Holman preamp....anyone familiar with it?

I have a beautiful clean one with the stage III phono upgrades and completely rebuilt PS and upgraded anything out of spec. Great preamp! I got it to drive two monster amps. It does not hold a candle to my dual mono Class A preamp but hangs in close enough to stay in the house as a backup
  4. Northwinds

How "analog" can digital music sound?

Get a DBX-DX5 CDP and see how analog a CD can sound. They are considered the most analog sounding CDPs that I am aware if. They were built to recover dynamics from the Redbook cds
  5. Northwinds

Best little table radio?

Got this about 20 years ago at a yard sale for $1 and forgot about it. Cleaning up in garage and found it behind a box. Brought it in livingroom plugged it in and it works fine. From 1968-69 "The Glissando" model Z434M Zenith SS radio. I bet a lot of us had one in our parents house as a kid
  6. Northwinds

Who is going to win the Mike Tyson versus Jake Paul fight?

All I can say is that Tyson is going to get the upper hook in there and its going to be a quick cats paw swatting then the right to the chin and Jake will be snoring comfortably on the floor. 59 or not, that man is deadly as a cobra. I grew up in Johnstown, NY when Tryon Boys School was there...
  7. Northwinds

L O N G speaker wires versus L O N G RCA cable from pre-amp to amp Pros and cons

I think my speaker wires are 8ft each. Interconnects 3' or shorter
  8. Northwinds

Do you let your animal (dog or cat) range free outside for most of the day?

Cat strictly indoor. We have Boxer too but she goes out in our yard does her business then comes right back i
  9. Northwinds

Member jimfet has passed - RIP

Not being able to see well has not allowed me to keep up with much news here. RIP Jim, you were a good man
  10. Northwinds

Bang for the Buck - Upgrade Cerwin Vega D3's to Yamaha NS-1000's?

I had a pair. A bit bright for what I needed. The tweeters are unobtainable these days last I knew. They are great nearfield speakers IMO What's nice about CVs is that they can be taken to a whole new level. You'd never believe I run D9s myself but a lot of small stuff was done to put them...
  11. Northwinds

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Classic from my youth
  12. Northwinds

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Outlaw Country's finest
  13. Northwinds

What does your gear say about your personality?

God of Glorious Thunder and no tone controls to mess it up
  14. Northwinds

What does your gear say about your personality?

Godzilla crushing Tokyo
  15. Northwinds

Elac Miracord 625 stuck as a rock

Thankfully the one I found was maintained. C clip already gone. Tire looks newish
  16. Northwinds

JBL Control 10, worth the purchase?

I have a pair that came from NBC30. They work and sound impressive. Handle enormous amounts of power so great with a quality high current amp. Better then any other JBLs that I have owned so far
  17. Northwinds

NAD 7225PE - need a method to isolate TO3 case aka collector from chassis ground

I would be interested in what @Geppetto would think about this issue
  18. Northwinds

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

Yes I referenced his info
  19. Northwinds

This ADC is it. I assumed original but still quite good. The stylus is a bushed/bonded 3x7 elliptical, the compliance is 20 to 25cu, it's spec'd to be flat out to about 18 kHz, maybe a little more. Chances are the inductance is 270mH, give or take, with DC resistance hovering around 570 ohms...
  20. Northwinds

Benjamin Miracord 625 idler. Got it because he could not test it and I saw it in his pickup and asked with the other equipment shown in vid. Original cart on the sled. Seems to work when I tried it here at home. In fact sounded perfect no speed issues. Tire not hard or flatspotted...
  21. Northwinds

The Boombox Thread

Only one I still have is a Grundig. You can calibrate the tuner with 5 controls on the back. Only boom box I ever saw/owned that had this feature
Back
Top Bottom