Search results

1. Taowolf51

Anyone else ticked off at the overuse of Auto-Tune??

Some use it as an effect, others use it as a crutch. I have no problem with the former, but am not fond of the latter. The thing is, when properly used, auto tune isn't noticeable, it should just sound like a singer. If you notice it, it's most likely done intentionally as an effect rather than...
  2. Taowolf51

Emotiva XDA-2

Great little piece of kit, I'm extremely surprised there aren't more like it. It's everything you could want from a modern digital preamp (except maybe DSD support).
  3. Taowolf51

Sub $100 DAC?

The Schiit Modi is just short of $100. It outputs RCA, but that can easily be converted with a cheap cable if you need 3.5mm.
  4. Taowolf51

Whats the best Android phone for music

Here are some audio measurements for the G3 and One M8. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_vs_htc_one_m8-review-1094p7.php Another option is to use OTG (if your phone supports it, which most new phones should) with a proper external DAC/Amp, if you can deal with the extra bulk. One thing to keep...
  5. Taowolf51

Safe N Sound(Stone Wool) Vs Fiber Glass(OC 703) Vs Accoustical Cotton

You should make a frame for it out of 2"x4"s, then space it an inch from the wall. Placing a rigid piece of wood behind it will reduce its performance.
  6. Taowolf51

That's why the pre-cut panels are so darn nice. :) They are a bit tall, though.
  7. Taowolf51

Safe and sound does not have any odor. It's also limp (where OC is rigid) and may be harder to cut (though you can get it in those pre-cut panels which work great). Safe and sound should be a lot cheaper than OC as well. Safe and sound isn't hard to work with, but be sure to wear gloves.
  8. Taowolf51

Freq response graph for comparison purposes?

Here's another site with a lot of headphone measurements. http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads Have you ever tried EQing out that 10kHz spike? What headphones do you have?
  9. Taowolf51

TIME Magazine Headphone Review April 2014

If there's one thing I've learned, it's not to trust random non-enthusiast headphone reviews. Their experience is usually limited to apple earbuds, and the headphones they are reviewing.
  10. Taowolf51

Fuzziness in right channel of integrated amp

Does the sound come from the tweeter or woofer? Does it sound like this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41961113/OptonicaNoise.wav
  11. Taowolf51

Fuzziness in right channel of integrated amp

Does it become a problem at lower volumes?
  12. Taowolf51

$3 billion headphones - Apple buying Beats?

They've been on the brink of going out of business for a long time. Their super warranty, while awesome for the consumer, probably doesn't help.
  13. Taowolf51

$3 billion headphones - Apple buying Beats?

The ESP-950 has been getting a resurgence among headphone enthusiast circles because they're surprisingly excellent 'stats (with amp) for between $550 and $1000 depending on the market. I ended up being able to sell mine for a couple hundred more than I paid for them because of the jump in...
  14. Taowolf51

Why are HDtracks FLAC files only showing 44.1 on DAC

Are you using WASAPI?
  15. Taowolf51

My horrible experiences with old stereo receivers/amps

Agreed, my first decent amp was vintage, and I've sunk hundreds into it and it still doesn't work right. I then decided to buy new amps and have been happily listening to music ever since. I'm certainly not completely against buying vintage, but I am somewhat averse to it now.
  16. Taowolf51

About to commit to a bifrost DAC

I don't know much about those speakers, but I'll just say that spending the extra cash on the things that make the sound (speakers and headphones) will lead to the best result in my experience. You will need to upgrade your DAC from that Fiio, though. Does it need to be a $500 DAC? That depends...
  17. Taowolf51

About to commit to a bifrost DAC

In my experience, the most important thing to upgrade are headphones by a large degree, second most important is the amp, then the DAC. Personally, I wouldn't get a $520 (Uber with USB) DAC for a $300 pair of headphones. You did say you were going to upgrade headphones over time and don't ever...
  18. Taowolf51

Thiel: Educate Me

The late Jim Thiel designed his speakers to be completely phase and time coherent. He spent his life perfecting this aspect of speaker design. From what I know, the overwhelming majority of Thiel speakers use drivers designed by Jim and built by Thiel (to meet his needs for phase and time...
  19. Taowolf51

This Kitty is digging the BASS!!!

This is why you don't give your cats E.
  20. Taowolf51

Help me, I'm "sound blind"!

One of the big difficulties I face is recognizing how much of a difference a new piece of equipment is actually having vs how much of an effect I'm hearing because of placebo. I've noticed that as soon as I put something new into my system (this is less of an issue with speakers, but it still...
  21. Taowolf51

Vintage vs. Modern

My misunderstanding, then. The way you wrote it made it seem as though you used the store as a demo room. No need for sarcasm, I wasn't specifically referring to you, but the general trend of using a store to demo a product and buying it online to save 10%. It's especially rampant in audio and...
  22. Taowolf51

Vintage vs. Modern

This is exactly why stereo stores are going away, people are just using them as a demo room and buying online.
  23. Taowolf51

Vintage vs. Modern

Perhaps it varies from area to area, I have a number of high-end stereo stores nearby. My problem is finding a place to listen to high-end headphones (Head-Fi meets so far have been my only option). The modern speakers I do own were all bought used because of the savings, so for me, buying...
  24. Taowolf51

Vintage vs. Modern

This thread is doing better than I expected it to by the 6th page. :) In my experience, it really isn't two camps (new vs old) it's all about what you like. There are some awesome vintage speakers and some really crappy vintage speakers; same goes for modern speakers. There are trends that each...
  25. Taowolf51

Emotiva Quality

You should call them and ask, it may be interesting to see what they say.
Back
Top Bottom