Search results

1. asdf_x2

I think I've lost it

Hi, I've been on a cartridge/stylus buying binge lately: Carts: Signet TK5E Technics EPC-U205C MK3 AKG P25MD/35 NOS styli: Audio Technica: ATVM8, ATS12, ATS12S, ATN12S, 2x ATN15, 3x ATN14, 3x ATS13E (for transplanting) AKG: 2x X25/24mkII styli, X15S Have i gone crazy? Any known cure for this...
  2. asdf_x2

Yamaha CD-S1000

I recently bought a second hand Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD player. I'm new to this level of hifi equipment and bought this one for all the wrong reasons: it matches my amp Yamaha CA-1000 visually and by name, it weighs 15kg and seemed to have gotten mostly good reviews. I of course tested it at the...
  3. asdf_x2

Link to Yamaha Integrated Amplifier History (Since 1972)

I wish i could be posting the part about B-1 but for now the CA-1000 will do: A true audiophile amplifier including a Class A/B operation selector, all enclosed in a beautiful form. Yamaha released the CA-700/500 and entered the component stereo market in 1972, and the next year began a...
  4. asdf_x2

Class A in CA-1000

Is the Class A in CA-1000 (and 800/1010/2010) Real True Class A? I mean does it stay in Class A for it's rated output, which is 15W@8ohm for CA-1000. Some places state that it is real Class A and some regard it as not. It doesn't really matter to me whether it is either or since it sounds...
  5. asdf_x2

My first pre: Denon PRA-1100 or NAD 1000?

Hi, i'm about to purchase my first separate preamp to try. I've been offered Denon PRA-1100 and NAD monitor series 1000 for roughly the same price. Which one would you choose? My impression of NAD is that their reliability isn't as good as Denon's. But it seems that nad's phono section is...
  6. asdf_x2

Technics SL-Q2 - how to add damping fluid?

Hi, would anyone happen to know how you add damping fluid to SL-Q2? I have the Technics pdf that lists 4 different methods, but q2 isn't listed. Im keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't involve disassembling the tonearm base. Thanks.
  7. asdf_x2

New RCA cable wiring help needed

Yesterday i replaced the RCA cables on my Technics SL-Q2 with Mogami 2534 quad. I used just one cable for L and R, 2 of the conductors were connected to the L&R '+' and two to L&R '-'. I also put separate ground cable. After putting it all back together i realized that i had also connected the...
  8. asdf_x2

Technics SL-Q2 with EPC-206C

Technics SL-Q2 with EPC-207C I bought a cheap not-so-mint Technics SL-Q2 as a temporary tt while my Dual 721 is out of order. It came with EPC-207C cart that has been fitted with 206C stylus. I listened to some of my test records (that i don't mind getting worn) and it sounded decent with some...
  9. asdf_x2

Got myself a Yamaha CA-1000

For a while now, i've been wanting to try out a Yamaha CA-series integrated. I missed out on a local reasonably priced CA-1010, probably only by few minutes. As a consolation i bought a CA-1000 from german epay for not too much money: It works but some has been inside doing dodgy stuff...
  10. asdf_x2

Phono input capacitance question

I'm venturing deeper and deeper into the world of vinyl and now i'm wondering about the total capacitance of my vinyl system. I replaced the old crappy RCA cables of my Dual 721 with Cordial CDMX234 cable with Rean connectors. The cable is said to have 42pF/m capacitance. I made 1,5 meter...
  11. asdf_x2

Dual 721 w/ Goldring 1006

I recently got my first turntable, A Dual 721 with Goldring 1006 cart. Left channel wasn't producing anything but hum. So i lifted the mechanism from the base (please excuse for my lack of correct terms) and cleaned out the furballs from the mechanism. I also took out the RCA cables...
  12. asdf_x2

CR-800 filter bypass fail

I've come to the conclusion that i somehow messed up my CR-800's sound by adding filter bypass caps (1µF, 250V, almost 2cm wide polyester? ones). I noticed that my CR-800 sounded fatiguing in the long run and High Frequency tones sounded irritating. When i procured a Sansui 6060 i immediately...
  13. asdf_x2

Got myself a Sansui 6060

I found a working, decent condition Sansui 6060 from a flea market. First i've seen a x0x0 series here in Finland. Maybe Sansui wasn't that popular up here? This is my first decent sansui, my R-50 isn't exactly a highly regarded model :) but i recognize same sound characteristics between them...
  14. asdf_x2

Cabling matters and how biwiring worked for me

Controversial topic, i know, but i can't quite believe how big of a difference biwiring made in my setup. I have KEF Q500 floorstanders which according to some web forum users really benefit from biwiring/biamping. Delusional, i thought, and ran my setup with one wire and jumpers of the same...
  15. asdf_x2

Advice appreciated with H/K hk870 power amp

Hi! I just got a hk870 power amp. It powers up fine. Wait light turns to On in about 8 seconds which i understand is normal. However i measured DC from speaker terminals and it says around 7 VDC on both channels!? So i tried to adjust dc offset, but i ran out of turns at around 4 VDC...
  16. asdf_x2

New amp to top my Yamaha CR-800?

Hi, I got bitten by the vintage bug roughly a year ago. I have few units but my priced one is a Yamaha CR-800, recapped and cleaned. Previously i had my speakers connected to a Harman Kardon AVR230, which is a low-end surround receiver. Thought it was quite decent but the recapped Yamaha...
  17. asdf_x2

Kef Q500

So I was searching for a floostanding speaker and auditioned in various stores at least the following: Monitor Audio BX5, RX6. Dali Zensor 5/7, Icon6 mk2, Rega rs3, Epos epic?, some Dynaudio, some Elac, some cheap Boston Acoustics, some System Audio, some Amphion and finally Kef Q500. All around...
  18. asdf_x2

CR-800 questions

Hi! I have a CR-800 that worked fine, but with the experience of recapping two lesser units and experiencing better sound from them i've built up the courage to start working on my CR-800. So far i've recapped the pre board and power supply board. Sounds more detailed. :music: I also...
  19. asdf_x2

Story so far...

Hi, thank you for making me addicted :) I now have my soldering iron hot practically every free hour i have. But like probably most of you, i enjoy every second of it. It started with me finding a Sansui R-50 receiver in the dumpster. It still has some issues and not a high priority any...
  20. asdf_x2

Rotel RX-300 DC after power off?

Hi, i have a Rotel RX-300 just like here (there seems to be an older model with the same name that looks like this?). It sounds good, but unfortunately i have two problems with it: 1. After i power it off, after a few seconds i measure 7V DC at the speaker terminals which then starts...
  21. asdf_x2

Need some help with a R-50

Hi, i'm new here. I recently discovered an abandoned Sansui R-50, waiting to be disassembled for recycling. I decided to take her home and see if she's still functional. Well, she is, sort of... there are no huge problems concerning sound, but i have a few questions. And please note that i am...
Back
Top Bottom