Search results

1. Warpserver

Kenwood KA-5700 Unusually Hot Resistor

I think you guys are onto something with the short somewhere. I have a copy of the service manual here (including schematic + component list). Here's a quick pic of the schematic and some coloured traces. Red is the line R26 resides and green is a ground line. Blue are potential "short" areas...
  2. Warpserver

Measuring the voltage across: R26 (the one getting hot): Even 40V R25 (the one above it): Right around 16V.
  3. Warpserver

I have a Kenwood KA-5700 here that seems to work fine, sounds good with no weird breakouts or pops or anything in my short testing. One problem I noticed though is something smelt a bit warm, like dust on a vacuum tube warm. Odd for a solid state amp. After some probing around I found one...
  4. Warpserver

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

Cats really like subwoofers.
  5. Warpserver

What camera(s) do you own?

Got a new lens for the camera, replacing the broken 28-105 f/3.5-4.5D. Picked up this Sigma 35-80 f/4-5.6 for $12 on ebay, working fine sans the sticky rubber. So, in total now it's a Nikon D90 and cheapo Sigma 35-80 f/4-5.6 lens.
  6. Warpserver

What bad audio things make you cringe?

First that really gets me is when people connect speakers with too much wire stripped off the end so there's unstripped wire hanging out the speaker connections just waiting to be twisted and shorted. Another that gets to me is when there's reverb\modified eq added to everything, such as web...
  7. Warpserver

Recording With a Laptop

I do recording with a Digidesign (AVID now) MBox 2. Unfortunately they've quit making it and the only way to get one is used online (iirc around $60 on ebay). They do have Windows 8 drivers (work fine with 10) and Mac OS 10.9 drivers surprisingly. I'm honestly not a big fan of Behringer myself...
  8. Warpserver

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

I actually have that one physically, here's the next page from that:
  9. Warpserver

Questions about home back up power/back up generator.

I'd imagine 11kW would be plenty, unless you plan on running everything in your house at once. I know I myself work with minimal stuff I can when the power is out (which can be anywhere from a few hours to a few days being California). If you have electric stove\oven I'd recommend finding a...
  10. Warpserver

Any thrift shoppers?

There used to be occasional stuff at thrift stores but nothing in the last at least 5 years. I've given up actually wanting to stop in. Usually there's nothing good, just garbage like Yorx AIOs or cheap cassette decks in dire need of belts. When something does show up it's always horribly...
  11. Warpserver

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

I've spent the last week or so scanning and cropping ads from old magazines. Here's a link to all of them, 172 total. They're only thumbnails until you click on the image you want to see to save your bandwidth, but beware as all are 300dpi unscaled scans. http://imgur.com/a/dP10u So...
  12. Warpserver

Looking for a 5.1 Phono friendly receiver

Sony STR-DA5300ES is a 7.1 with sub output, optical inputs and a (quite decent) phono preamp. I've got one and while it's alright, you really need the original remote to properly set it up (which I don't have).
  13. Warpserver

Pioneer RT-701

I'd clean the pots for the input as a fist test. If that doesn't work clean the heads and if that fails a recap might be in order.
  14. Warpserver

Show Gear in Available Lighting

Taken outside and looks like shit from the top being horribly overexposed and the bottom horribly under but meh.
  15. Warpserver

Meanest Thing You've Ever Done to Audio Gear?

Hrm, let's see. I have a couple. Denon USC-50F or something speakers. Sounded pretty damn good for what they are but I kept them down on the floor where they got destroyed. Also tended to crank the bass a bit high and ended up blowing them. At my old school there's some HSU sub that had a...
  16. Warpserver

Is anyone authorized to operate your system?

The living room setup I rarely touched but that's because I don't watch TV. It's just the cable box, AVR, TV and speakers anyways so it's not hard to turn on and use. My main setup in my room no one else touches. I trust that people would be able to use it but I don't allow anyone else in my...
  17. Warpserver

Vintage 80s/70s amp war

Similar but to me a bit "cleaner". If anything it reminds me most of the Sansui G-X000 receivers. If you can get that Yamaha though I'd go with it instead.
  18. Warpserver

Vintage 80s/70s amp war

I'm not a huge fan of the sony either however I do quite like the Kenwoods I own myself, KA-5700, KR-6160 and KR-4070. If you're interested I'm actually fairly close to you (Fairfield) and have a spare Pioneer SA-720. There might be some other stuff on Craigslist under the electronics section...
  19. Warpserver

I don't know how you guys do it.

I think you can add "Can you call me and I'll never answer or call you back?" This one is what annoys me the most. I don't like making phone calls to start with but at least picking up and yelling no or something would be nice.
  20. Warpserver

Kenwood KR-6160 Dead Right Channel and DC on Outputs

Today I pulled out the KR-6160 to take pics and it turns out I have a mostly dead right channel and there's DC on the outputs. List of issues I've found: 1.) Right channel is mostly dead. Has a static sound even with the volume down and speaker switch on off. If you turn it up around half...
  21. Warpserver

Receiver and Amp nudies! Post them if ya got them!

Onkyo TX-SV7M, their first (and one of the first ever) surround receivers. Really a "hackjob" with how primitive it is. The oddest part: A STK amp and Sanken discrete amps in one unit. I guess they decided they didn't have enough space for all Sanken as it would've made more sense to dual...
  22. Warpserver

Show Me Your Sansui!

Sansui G5000. Sounds a lot better than I remember.
  23. Warpserver

Post your photography!!

Not too pretty in terms of composure (yet) but really experimenting with slightly longer exposures and smaller apertures to keep more in focus. Also working with dealing with the range between bright and darks, such as in this one. Of course making them look pretty will be easier once I get...
  24. Warpserver

What's the worst audio stuff you've ever seen?

All those modern "retro" pieces of crap, such as Crosley. I wouldn't touch it with a 2000' pole but people keep buying it for whatever reason. Haven't had good luck with Onkyo receivers either though, and that's both modern and old. My TX-2000 likes to blow the right speaker fuse, the TX-SV7M...
  25. Warpserver

First set up, need a mixer

I'm not a huge fan of Behringer myself, I've used a few and I've found the preamps to be pretty shitty compared to others and the cheaper ones often have horrible static noise even with no enabled inputs, the X1622 is very guilty of this. I'm using a Soundcraft EPM8 myself ($300 new - probably...
Back
Top Bottom