Search results

1. repair_guy

Can someone help with this lightning hit Tandberg receiver

Thank you for the information, I very much appreciate it. I would be very interested in buying a new tuner can for this, mostly because I don't have much RF test equipment here and I've already spent months on and off working in this. I have confirmed everything downstream works fine, I used a...
  2. repair_guy

Yes I have, with the working test tuner the AGC from U201 is 0.5V on a station and about 0.05V to 0.01V off a station. I even fed a small voltage through a 10K resistor into the non-working tuner and it does nothing. The AGC stays at 0.01V with the original tuner. I have been working on this...
  3. repair_guy

Tuning voltage is changing with the dial position, looks to be right. It does actually tune, but the sensitivity is so low it can tune in maybe one station and that doesn't even get a rise out of the signal meter. It really acts as if the first stage isn't doing anything at all. Maybe I should...
  4. repair_guy

That's exactly what I originally thought so I already replaced both mosfets, no improvement or change. I forgot to mention that before. I also checked all the varactors and transistors and they test fine. None of the transformers and coils are open. Maybe the lightning arced through the board...
  5. repair_guy

Here is my Tandberg TR-2040 that had a lightning strike into the antenna terminals, happened back in the 1980's according to the person I bought it from. They had a whole long story on that. The lightning seems to have taken out the tuner, everything else still works. Is it possible to repair...
  6. repair_guy

Why don't they use JFETs for audio? (Experiment)

Wow, I didn't realize they were used so much, I guess I was wrong. Maybe it's just the specific equipment I work on that doesn't use them very often.
  7. repair_guy

I know they're used in certain spots, maybe a few here and there, but they're not widely used. I've worked on audio equipment for many years and the majority of transistors I see are the standard BJT ones.
  8. repair_guy

What's the reason? I'm not an engineer, but I work on electronics, and to me they seem to work well and can be used in circuits similar to tubes. I even did an experiment and used them in place of a tube in a phono stage. First, I connected it to about 30V B+, then plugged two FETs directly into...
  9. repair_guy

Can I add a bias oscillator to a cassette recorder?

I have a cassette recorder that was built without any bias oscillator at all. It records awful distorted horrible "sound"? Actually it should be called noise, yet I checked the record amp and it's clean, just no bias. Does anybody have a simple bias circuit that could work off 6 volts? I don't...
  10. repair_guy

Pink pinch rollers? What does it mean?

I bought replacement pinch rollers for this JVC deck and they're pink. I put them in anyway, they actually work great and are very grippy and smooth. But why are they pink? Has anyone seen this before? I'm just thinking.... why?
  11. repair_guy

HH Gregg to close all stores

They just built one only a couple years ago in my city. Nice looking place but no customers, just 10 pushy salespeople with nothing to do. Once they close we'll only have a lone best buy as our only electronics store left in our town. I guess it's just a matter of time, soon all electronics will...
  12. repair_guy

Should all 1970's tantalum caps be replaced?

It would be interesting why they fail. I have a computerized turntable from 1979 that has a bunch of tantalums that are surrounding an unobtainium IC. It works but it only would take one to blow up the IC for good, so I'm changing them out for new ones. I'm going to do some tests on the old...
  13. repair_guy

Should all 1970's tantalum caps be replaced?

I'm not usually a fan of replacing caps that still work, but these things fail without ANY warning at all. I had a tape deck literally smoke because one of these in the tape bias section decided to short. This took out four transistors, burned several circuit traces. It even heated up and...
  14. repair_guy

How much longer do you think you have?

Well I'm 34 now, so probably about another 25 years or so. All of the men on both sides of my family lived only into their 50's or 60's, none made it into their 70's.
  15. repair_guy

MCS 3338 - one channel bad - question about resistor

I could be wrong, but the picture shows what looks like a 0.43 ohm resistor. The RNU2 is a resistor type code, the 2 being the watts. Looks to be a wirewound resistor, probably 5% tolerance. Resistors usually don't blow on their own, there could be a shorted output transistor.
  16. repair_guy

I was confident my snowflake picture looked like a tie-fighter...

This is amazing. How do you get close enough to get the picture? You must use some kind of magnifying glass for this. I was told many years ago that snowflakes are very small, a tiny speck. I've never seen snow before, I want to see it someday, if I can ever get out of Florida.
  17. repair_guy

Sony CDP-690 CD Player

I would say the leaf switches on the tray are dirty. They tell the board when the tray is closed and are inside the unit on the CD transport. Not that hard a repair to do.
  18. repair_guy

Interference across vintage receivers - Marantz/Pioneer/Eico

Upon hearing it, that sounds like some kind of telecom equipment. It's not the sound of SMPS power supplies. What you're hearing is digital data of some kind. Quite a few digital electronics put out sounds like that, but they usually only go a few feet. Cordless phones can throw out noise that's...
  19. repair_guy

Tandberg TR-1055

Glad to hear that it works and sounds great. That pull knob confused me too, turns out that it switches the signal meter to a power output meter when pulled. Yours looks to be in great shape, much nicer than mine when I got it. On mine the meters were shot, half the caps were bad, a few...
  20. repair_guy

Vintage 1960's Winegard Colortron TV antenna. Worth anything?

If it's a VHF UHF antenna it should receive HDTV broadcast. It doesn't matter if it was built in the 60's, most outdoor antennas are old designs anyway. Hook it up to a HDTV and scan "over the air" and see what you get. Would be good for FM too.
  21. repair_guy

Budget Input for old console

What input are you using? On consoles the phono input is usually line level and should work with a smartphone.
  22. repair_guy

Tandberg TR-1055

I have one of these, it's a loud and dynamic sounding amp. That tuner issue should be an easy fix, probably a loose tuning string. Mine was frozen like that, didn't take much to free it up. The parts that are difficult to find are the controls and switches, they're some odd German made parts...
  23. repair_guy

Mattel speaker wires?

Perfectly tuned, and positioned to trip over at 3:00am.
  24. repair_guy

40 year old elna caps vs new panasonic m series caps

Any new (quality) caps should be better than 40 year old ones. Elna caps are the better ones, but that was back when they were new. After aging 40 years they will have higher ESR. I've yet to see one that measures well after 40 years old. I can almost tell how old they are just by looking at the...
  25. repair_guy

"Baby, It's Cold Outside..."--Happy Holidays!!!

I wish it would get cold here. It's been so warm I have a big snake outbreak going on right now. Those stupid things keep getting into the air conditioner and screwing it up. Yesterday a big sucker got in there, almost burned out the fan, good thing it had a thermal cutoff. The fan isn't strong...
Back
Top Bottom