Search results

1. IEHAGY

Dead preamp tube or something worse ?

It started with louder than normal noise floor / hiss that I was able to control by adding a passive preamp into my chain ... then it started taking longer than normal for it to heat up .... and now it wont heat up at all. I'm wondering if its time to take my beloved Juicy Music Extreme to a...
  2. IEHAGY

Need Help Trouble Shooting a hissy juicy music pre-amp

Hi. I don't post hear much cause I am total novice with any thing under the hood of my system, but I appreciate all the wisdom on this board. My issue is that my beloved Juicy Music Extreme preamp is giving off a loud white noise hiss noise floor in both channels capable of being heard up to...
  3. IEHAGY

Looking for bookshelf speaker reccs based on my system ...

Hi y'all I would appreciate some advice in my hunt for some new speakers. I have assembled my current system around a pair of Vandersteen 2ce speakers and I like how it sounds but y am moving to a house with a smaller listening space and unfortunately I don't think the Vandersteens are going...
  4. IEHAGY

Any impressions on the Parks Audio Puffin ?

Hi ! I'm looking for any impressions that you may have on the Parks Audio Puffin. I am overhauling my system from an integrated to seperates and have blown my budget already on amp and preamp ( Mccormack dna 0.5 Gold & Don Sachs Sp14 linestage ) and am now in need of a sub $500 phono stage...
  5. IEHAGY

Great buying experience from vintage 5.0 !

Bought a mccormack dna 0.5 gold from @vintage 5.0 and couldnt have gone smoother. He was super friendly, timely, and communicative. And the amp came packed to withstand a nuclear winter !
  6. IEHAGY

Signal Output ?

I just noticed my Stromberg Carlson Stereo 8 has a set of RCA jacks for "signal output" in addition to tape output. What exactly are these for? Does this mean it could be used as a preamp ?? Thanks for any help solving the mystery.
  7. IEHAGY

Would a Juicy Music Blueberry mate well with a Mccormack power amp?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Just wondering because these are both dream pieces of equipment for me and wonder if its wise to look for both at the same time. My speakers are vandersteen 2ce. Thanks !
  8. IEHAGY

Novice Questsions on Vandersteens

I am looking at picking up a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's in the coming days and had a couple questions that maybe y'all could help me with. These speakers were recommended by the gentleman who rebuilt my ARXA turntable and he did such a killer job on that that i want to follow his recc. 1. I...
  9. IEHAGY

Outdoor Speakers

Hi all, Is there a consensus on passive vs. active speakers for outdoor use? I am think in particular for hooking up to an ipod or macbook, nothing serious, just something for bbqs and lying in the hammock. It seems like having a power amp permanently outside would be a bad idea, and...
  10. IEHAGY

What do I need to know about the VPI 16.5

So I took the plunge and bought a brand spankin new vpi 16.5 (for a really good price - local LA pickup). My question is - I understand the basic use as presented in the manual. Screw down record, turn on plater, add a little fluid , place brush down for 6 to 8 rotations, vacuum for 2...
  11. IEHAGY

How do I get the most out of my Heil AMT 1Ds?

Hi all, About two months ago I bought a pair of ESS Heil AMT 1Ds from a fellow AKer and they have literally changed the way I listen to music. They are like milk and honey to my ears, I have buying more records than usual lately just so I can hear how they sound through those tweeters...
  12. IEHAGY

Do I need a Phono Pre?

I am currently using a Stromberg Carlson Sc 8 integrated amp to run a a TT to my speakers and it does the job, but barely - I have to crank it up nearly 11 to get it comfortable listening levels. I have used the same amp with the auxiliary in from an computer and the sound is much larger...
  13. IEHAGY

Some Newbie questions about Tape

Hi Y'all, So after amassing more than enough turntables, I am thinking of take the plunge to tape for the first time and have a few questions that maybe you can be kind enough to help me answer. (Please bear in mind these are probably very idiotic questions) 1) Is it possible to run a R2R...
  14. IEHAGY

SANSUI BA 303 on L.A. Craigslist

This ad caught my eye - looks in really good shape. Way out of my current price range, but if money was not an option I would go check it out. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/3523254434.html
  15. IEHAGY

Is it a bad idea to screw into directly into cabs?

Just got a nice pair of EV 12TRXB speakers in what I think are original cabinets. The enclosure is heavy solid wood, at least and 1 3/4 " thick. I was considering screwing some hairpin steel legs into the base to lift them off the ground, which I think would improve them sonically and...
  16. IEHAGY

Stromberg Carlson ASR 880

Hey Guys, I am looking at buying my first tube amp ( SC ASR 880 ). Would this model be a good start for trying out the magical world of tube. Anyone know anything about it's phone stage? The amp belongs to another AKer so I can beleive its been well cared for. What would be a...
  17. IEHAGY

How do I get into tubes?

Firstly, thanks for the advice as always. Secondly, I am in need of a new amp source for a secondary system and thought I might use the opportunity to dabble in tubes. I am a complete novice electrically speaking, so the more turnkey the better. The main purpose will be mainly vinyl so I...
  18. IEHAGY

I think I like my bedroom set better than my main.

After having been on AK for only a couple months now, I have cobbled together to settups that I am pretty damn happy with, especially the one that currently sits in my bedroom. All the elements are fairly cheap, costing me about $300 total, but man it sings. The highs are crisp and clear, the...
  19. IEHAGY

Ar xa ?

I am considering buying a AR XA turntable for my second system and wondering about the value. The seller, who refurbishes TTs, says " The T-Bar suspension has been examined and the springs are supporting properly. The spindle bearing was cleaned and oiled. The tonearm pivot has been cleaned...
  20. IEHAGY

Rotel 603

Just picked up a Rotel 603 off craigslist. Cleaned it up a bit inside and out, and I have to say it's not to bad at all. I compared to my Denon TT and DCM speakers, which currently has a Sansui 5000a. While the Sansui is noticeably warmer, the Rotel really hold up. It definently has more...
  21. IEHAGY

Is this Junk worth $25?

Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a local craigslist ad offering all this for $25. A sansui TT ( FR-D35 ) a Sony Cassette deck Yahmaha equalizer and fisher speakers. It doesn't list models other than the sansui. All I really need is a TT for the bedroom ( and an...
  22. IEHAGY

Beach house "bloom"

Just purchased this album and aside, from what I consider beautiful music there are a lot of really interesting things going on with the packaging and presentation. Not only is the vinyl white, which though hard to find track breaks is really aesthetically pleasing, it was also pressed in 45...
  23. IEHAGY

New to this - need some very basic advice.

Hi All, I am trying to set up a second system in my bedroom and have been playing around with going to tubes. Now the problem is, I know nothing about tube audio other than it looks beautiful and can sound amazing. Right now, I am looking for an amp to feed a pair of ADS L8e's that i...
  24. IEHAGY

Please Help Me decided what to get !

I have been looking at getting some new speakers for my modest sound living room. For now, they would be paired with a Denon TT and a Sansui 5000a. The three choice I have had my eye on are : 1. ADS L8e for around $90 2. ADS L-810 for about 230 3. DCM TF 500 for about 150 I am gonna...
  25. IEHAGY

A/D/S L8e's - worth it?

Hey Guys, I am strongly thinking about picking up a pair of ADS L8es off CL. I need a pair of bookshelf speakers for a medium sized room to use with my Denon TT and from what I have read these would seem to do the trick. Any thoughts? Asking price is just south of $100 but I think I can...
Back
Top Bottom