Search results

1. bobins08

Audio Technica Pro 12E

I am giving my daughter a Pioneer PL12D II. This unit is in very nice shape. I am doing the basic refurb to get it ready for her. It has an Audio Technica Pro AT12e cartridge. There are hundreds of AT variants, this one probably came with the table. Is it a basic AT12 with an elliptical...
  2. bobins08

2230 Restore, my experience and thoughts

From about 2010 to 2012, I accumulated a 2220, 2230, and a 2270 all at advantageous prices. I also had a 2265 and I have since given to my son. Yes, the equipment I could never afford at the time was all of a sudden inexpensive. I have not played them much, my 2270 resides in my office and...
  3. bobins08

Changed my 2 channel to 2.1 and loving it.

I found a cheap Polk subwoofer on CL for $25 so I bought it and put it in my home theater. I took my Velodyne CT Series 12 inch powered sub out of my home theater and lugged into the basement to my 2 channel system (in signature). My preamp is a custom unit and I put two outputs on it to hook...
  4. bobins08

Clumsy me dodged a bullet ...

I decided to swapped cartridges and put on my moving coil. Had to get out my SUT and another set of interconnects. Got it all connected and was placing at in the pre-tested optimal spot to keep away hum. OH, NO .... I dropped the SUT behind my component credenza!!! Bam it falls between the...
  5. bobins08

Tell me about CD Transports

I am my mostly an analog guy but I understand digital and I like it sometimes. I want to like it more. I would like to hear thoughts on CD Transports. I’m using an external DAC and driving it with a mass market early version Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player. I don’t think it’s bad, except for...
  6. bobins08

DB Systems Phono-8 in the house

Yesterday afternoon I received a DB System -8 phono preamp with the -2a power supply from @hoodie. This was a BarterTown transaction. Everything went great, no hassles, shipped quickly and well packed, arrived safe and sound and on time. Thank you @hoodie !! It has what appears to be all...
  7. bobins08

Do tubes lose their fidelity

Background: I have a somewhat unique and custom preamp. It’s a PasPro 1 tube preamp board, fitted into a Hafler DH101 case, an external power supply, an upgraded TKD Volume pot, no tone controls, and upgraded RCA in/outs. Designed by John Hullig at Musical Concepts it really has a very nice...
  8. bobins08

Speaker Placement Importance

About a year ago, with some helpful advice from AK, I managed to position my speakers in a most enjoyable manner for stereo. My speakers have excellent dispersion and image quite well when they are set up properly. Since that time I have upgraded my amp and I have trying numerous...
  9. bobins08

RIP Aretha Franklin

The Queen of Soul.
  10. bobins08

Finally got one ... in the Stanton club now (edit: Stereohedron retip)

I have never owned a Stanton, although my first turntable was a Garrard 40B changer that came with a Pickering V15 and ATE stylus. I picked up this Stanton 681EE from Barter Town. It has a real Stanton stylus, probably an elliptical, which made the deal attractive to me as I wanted to hear...
  11. bobins08

Best tweak - ear cleaning

Its been hot and humid and I have been fighting a summer cold, sinus pain, and asthma. I noticed my ears were feeling plugged and full. My wife is an RN, she cleaned my ears with drops of hydrogen peroxide and a warm flush. Lots of crud came out and now I feel better and hear better...
  12. bobins08

Musical Design D-150

Back in 2011 I upgraded my Hafler DH 220 with the latest Musical Concepts driver boards and power supply. John from Musical Concepts lives just a few miles away and I was getting ready to call him for a Torriod transformer kit and for a step up in the power supply, looking for more storage/...
  13. bobins08

ADS L880 Questions

I kept my L880’s at my Girlfriends house for years to have a decent sound system while visiting her. They were a part time speaker for me. When I got them to my house back in 2015 I used them sparingly as a backup set as they are not able to supplant my main speakers. Well for a change of...
  14. bobins08

Beogram TX

Hello, I need some opinions. I have the opportunity to purchase a working Beogram Tx. The owner says the “needle” is good and it plays. Pictures look clean but I have not seen it in person yet. Don't know which cartridge is on it yet but is safe to assume it will need replacing (the stylus...
  15. bobins08

CR 620 main filter cap questions

My brothers CR 620 has a leaky and oozing electrolytic cap, I don’t have the C number but it’s a 1000uF/ 50v cap. I am helping him but we live about 800 miles apart so I’m really just advising at this stage. We are considering having him replace only the one bad cap for now and then all the...
  16. bobins08

anyone know how to measure Channel Imbalance?

I am breaking in an Nagaoka MP 110 cartridge and I hear a channel imbalance that I am having a had time living with. I have checked alignment (including azimuth) and that is not it, it sounds really good the way it is set up. I swapped the cartridge wires and the louder left channel moved to...
  17. bobins08

Best material for shimming a cartridge in a headshell

I recently set up an AT 35E moving coil cartridge on my marcmorinized AR XB with Technics arm wand. I had to shim the cartridge to get the VTA right. I used a 2mm thick piece of cork which resides next to the cartridge body, plus a piece cut from a credit card, which is next resides between...
  18. bobins08

AT 35E "Vintage" Moving Coil Experience

A few years back I was pondering putting moving coil on my TD 160/s SME 3009 series II (Improved) arm. My good Buddy and Fellow AKer @sturgus gave me an AT 35E body. The stylus was broken but this moving coil has a replaceable stylus. New OEM stylus are available at LPGear for $149 and this...
  19. bobins08

Who makes LP Gear Vivid Line?

I moved my M97xE with Vivid Line stylus from my office system onto my marcmorinized AR XB in my main system. First time I played it in this system with all my recent improvements (speakers, cables, power conditioning, etc). I really like the sound this combination produces. I have never...
  20. bobins08

Small improvements add up ...

Incremental improvements, even small ones, can add up to provide a big overall benefit. I have made the following changes to my stereo system, some cost nothing, some little, and some took a little investment. Here is my recent journey over the past few months and listed in order of when I did...
  21. bobins08

Perils of a NOS Vintage Stylus - My VN35E

Back in April I found a NOS VN35E for $185.99 on the auction site, given the price of the SAS and others aftermarket options I decided to get the real Shure Stylus. I already have a VN35E but with lots of unknown miles on it so the prospect of a fresh one were too good to pass up. I have...
  22. bobins08

My best system upgrade ever ...

... has been buying these speakers. Yes, I know this is the turntable board but heck, I post here quite a bit. I just picked up a set of Acoustic Zen Adagio's. They are used but there is not a scratch or mark on them. Not going to review them here but I will say they sound excellent. I...
  23. bobins08

CD Transport and DAC Questions

I have many Red Book CD's sitting around and I am looking to start playing them and trying to get a reasonable cost, yet non-fatiguing digital playback system. So far I am leaning toward Schiit (ok, I like saying that) for the DAC. Not sure if the Modi Multibit is good enough or maybe I go...
  24. bobins08

2270 - Impressive Phono Stage - leave it or recap?

I picked this Receiver up used about 6 years ago. Cosmetically its average, the Seller is an electronics tech and he replaced the left channel output and driver transistors which were blown when he got it. He reset the bias and idle current, treated the controls and switches with de-oxit and...
  25. bobins08

Advice on a long audio cable run

I am looking at a situation where the distance between my pre-amp output and power amp input requires a 35 foot cable run. Looking for a solution that provides good quality cables and does not break the bank. I am not someone that can "hear" state of the art cables but I sure do not want the...
Back
Top Bottom