Search results

1. Neo-Luddite

MC-60 tube replacement?

I had a 6550 blow up yesterday and there's a '27' written on it by the guy who rebuilt them. Each power tube has a different bias number written on it. What do I need to do? I can't imagine bringing the amps back in every time they need a tube?? Thanks much~
  2. Neo-Luddite

Dual 1228: operate arm manually to align headshell?

I want to install a new headshell on my Dual 1228. How do I operate the tone arm manually? Sorry...I'm a total newb. Thanks!
  3. Neo-Luddite

Spotify from ipad into hi-fi?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have Spotify on my iPad and I'd like to play it through my hi-fi. My CD player has a USB port but when I plug the iPad in, it says no support. Thanks much...
  4. Neo-Luddite

Speaker terminals on MC-60s?

I get sound with positive and common...how come not with the negative terminal?...what's the diff? The reason I ask is I have some buzz from my REL subwoofer which is tapped into said terminals. But the REL instructions say +/-...:scratch2: Thanks, Aaron
  5. Neo-Luddite

25ft speaker cables?

Are 25ft speaker cables ridiculous? Anyone using any this lenth on their 'good' system? :scratch2:
  6. Neo-Luddite

Are sub-woofers lame?

I've got some Nola Boxers that sound wonderful but sometimes I think I'm overextending them a bit. The local hi-end shop says to get a sub-woofer. They sell very high-end gear and have REL as a brand. My question is...at what point should I just get a tower? Although I don't like the idea of...
  7. Neo-Luddite

Correct bias tubes for my MC-60s?

I had my McIntosh rebuilt a year ago and I think I fried the 6550 power tubes in one of the amps. My question is: the repair guy had found 6550s with the correct bias and wrote the number on the tube. Can I just get two new tubes and plug them in or should I find some with the right...
  8. Neo-Luddite

MC-60 tube failure?

I've got about 150 hours on my rebuilt MC-60s. Last night I decided to audition new interconnects and speaker cables. So I gave the gear a decent work out. When I was done trying the speaker cables, I switched back to the originals and fired it right back up to see if I noticed a difference...
  9. Neo-Luddite

What causes distortion?

I think I heard some high frequency distortion tonight. It was on what I thought was a pretty good recording, at a fairly high volume.. Thanks, Aaron.
  10. Neo-Luddite

What do you use with your MC-60s?

I'm curious what pre-amp and speakers fellow MC-60 owners use? Thanks!
  11. Neo-Luddite

Turn off or leave on?

I have some McIntosh tube mono blocks that I definitely turn off after use. But my pre-amp is solid state....should I leave it on? I listen to music most evenings. Thanks!
  12. Neo-Luddite

Dual 1228 or 1019?

My dad has a couple Dual turntables. A 1019 and a 1228. I think the 1228 has a Shure cartridge? Which one should I mess with for my first try at vinyl? Also...what is United Audio? Thanks, Aaron
  13. Neo-Luddite

Best sounding 'alternative' albums?

I listen to a lot of 'alternative' rock...progressive, punk...whatever. But since having my first decent hi-fi, I'm looking for recommendations for other great recordings in this genre...? So far, I've been impressed with: Radiohead: Kid A and Amnesiac Arab Strap: Philophobia Some Ryan...
  14. Neo-Luddite

Not sure what I need?

I'd like to stream MOG in the garage through a stereo system. What should I buy?...what would the device be called or known as? The new tech stuff is confusing to me... Thanks!
  15. Neo-Luddite

C26?

I can buy a nice working C26 for $350....should I? Thanks, Aaron
  16. Neo-Luddite

Taming a bright set up...

Hi Guys, I've posted recently about my new Nola Boxers being too bright but I'm starting to wonder if my Audio Research LS3 is the problem? I have had my MC-60 monos just rebuilt and have about 25 hours on them. The LS3 is used and sounds really good with some select recordings but overall...
  17. Neo-Luddite

New Nola Boxers...

I just got my Nola Boxers and thought I'd start a thread. I'm pretty new to 'critical listening' but so far I'm impressed. Chris Russo at East End Hi-Fi sold me this set as I don't have a local dealer here in Minnesota. Chris was very helpful and a great communicator. He said they might need as...
  18. Neo-Luddite

My new Nola Boxers...

I just got my Nola Boxers and thought I'd start a thread. I'm pretty new to 'critical listening' but so far I'm impressed. Chris Russo at East End Hi-Fi sold me this set as I don't have a local dealer here in Minnesota. Chris was very helpful and a great communicator. He said they might need as...
  19. Neo-Luddite

MC-60 serial numbers?

I have some MC-60s with serial numbers of 1F768 and 769. Am I right in thinking they were made in about 1958 or '59? Thanks, Aaron
  20. Neo-Luddite

KG-4 too bright?

I recently tried my KG-4s with my McIntosh MC-60 mono blocks and Audio Research LS-3 solid state pre-amp. The cd player is a new NAD 546. What is the proper placement? I feel like they should have sounded better...seemed bright and fatiguing. This compared to an older set of Pinnacle PN-60s...
  21. Neo-Luddite

Terminals for MC-60s

What do I call the spade type terminals for the speaker hook-ups on my MC-60s? I used crappy automotive ones that are too wide...are there different sizes for audio? Thanks much, Aaron
  22. Neo-Luddite

Speaker buzz...

I have some Pinnacle PN-60s that seems to be shot. They sound really good most of the time but at certain frequencies, they buzz... How does one figure out what's wrong? Noob question. :)
  23. Neo-Luddite

Comment on forum.

I have to say. This is one of the most polite forums I've ever been on. It's really a nice thing these days. :)
  24. Neo-Luddite

Nakamichi?

Why doesn't Nakamichi seem to make cool stuff anymore?
  25. Neo-Luddite

How important is speaker wire length?

I've got a situation where I have to run wire down into the basement and up again to the left speaker. I want to get or make a decent set of cables for my new speakers on order (Nola Boxers). Should I make them the same length for sure?...and just coil the right side wire up? I know this...
Back
Top Bottom