Search results

1. M

Amp Noise at Power Up

My McIntosh 2100 has recently developed a noise in the left channel at power up. The noise sounds like a "pfft" for a few seconds and then subsides. No preamp was attached and the amps gain was set at minimum. Is this something that I should be concerned about?
  2. M

Mike Zuccaro

Does anyone have any experience in using Mike Zuccaro in San Diego for McIntosh repair in the past 12-months. I have a MC 2100 that has developed issues and he's been mentioned on the forum in the past as a McIntosh tech, but nothing recently. I'm also open to recommendations for other techs...
  3. M

R2R Tech Needed

My Pioneer RT-707 needs attention. I am looking for a comptent tech, preferably in Texas, but I'll ship almost anywhere in the lower 48. Thanks.
  4. M

RT-707 Tech Recommendation Needed

I need a recommendation for a competent R2R tech that can service my RT-707. I am in ruralish central west Texas and will ship, but I would prefer not to have to ship it across the country unless I really need to. Thanks
  5. M

Basic R2R Recording Question - Use Source or Monitor Levels?

I am trying to understand recording with a Pioneer RT 707 deck that I have recently acquired. I'm recording on a used Scotch 229 tape, using a CD as a source through a Yamaha C-80 preamp. The bias and equalization for the tape type set to LH, as per the Pioneer OM. I am confused about the...
  6. M

Windows Media Player Issue - Help Needed

I decided to record an LP and burn it to CD last week. i haven't done this in years, so I have no recent experiance with the version of Widows Media Player on my computer. The computer is running Windows 10. After getting the LP saved as individual wave files, I tried to burn a CD. Based on...
  7. M

Tonearm Arm Board Design Question

Is there a "standard" or good rule-of-thumb as to what the height difference between the top of the platter and the tonearm lateral pivots should be?
  8. M

Gold Lion KT88 Alternatives

Any recommendations for a good sounding alternative KT88 tube to the Gold Lion KT88? Use would be in a McShane modified Citation II. I want to stay with a KT88 type tube. Thanks
  9. M

Citation II Orange Plated KT-88

One of the Gold Lion KT-88s on my Citation II started to glow a bright orange. I shut the amp down before it red plated. I was still getting audio from the amp and nothing smelled burned. This unit has been rebuilt using McShane kits by a professional tech. Should I check the bias and reuse...
  10. M

Power Transformer Question

I am considering reusing the PT and OPTs from a Lafayette LR-300 receiver for future single ended amp build. The receiver uses a single 6BQ5 per channel as the output tubes. This would be my first attempt at tube amp building and I am still trying to understand all the ins and outs. I don't...
  11. M

Lafayette LR-300 Schematic Needed

I don't think this receiver was produced very long, so this might be a bit of a long-shot. If someone has a schematic, I would appreciate it if you could share a copy. Thanks
  12. M

Scott 299 Rectifier Flash-Help Needed

After cleaning the socket tubes, I powered up my Scott 299 after not using it since last winter. The 5AR4 immediately had a white flash. It hasn't done this in the past. The fuse did not blow and all the other tubes seem to power up normally for the few minutes that I let the amp run before...
  13. M

Need Service Tech in Texas Recommendations

My MC 2100 lost a channel and I need to have it repaired. I am in Texas and would prefer to keep shipping in-state and within a reasonable drivable distance. McIntosh lists three service centers within 4-hours of me. They are Bjorns Audio in San Antonio, Pyramid Audio in Austin, and Fort...
  14. M

Transistor Sub Needed

I need a sub for a MPSU05 transistor as used in a low voltage circuit board in a Heathkit oscilloscope. Apparently the MPSU05 is NLA. Thanks
  15. M

Reusing a Red-Plated Tube

Basic question from an unknowledgable person. I had a KT-88 red plate on a Citation II. I think that it had redplated for less than a minute before I shut the amp off, assuming it started to red plate when the channel started to distort. Is safe to reuse?
  16. M

RS-II and HK Citation II Pairing

Should I run the RS-II's with the Citation? I won't be listening to them at concert levels. The amp is rated at 60 WPC so, in theory, it should be able to drive them. The Citation has a 4-ohm tap so they should match up based on the speakers nominal impedance. My concern is the reported drop...
  17. M

Jamo C603 Speakers

I can't find much in the way of opinions on how these speakers sound. Anyone have (or had) a pair and wish to comment? Also what was their original price? Thanks
  18. M

Jamo C603 Value

I have a chance to purchase a pair at $150. Is this a good price?
  19. M

C-80 Continuous Loudness Board Cap Replacement

I would like to replace the two 10uF e-caps on the continuous loudness board on my c-80. The caps are not readily accessible for changing due to proximity to the chassis, so it appears the board and attached volume and balance pot will need to be loosen from the chassis, if not removed. I...
  20. M

DBT Bulb Wattage Impacts on Operation

I have been working on a Yamaha preamp that I was given. The preamp is rated at 30W. The boards show signs of overheating to the point of charring in one spot, and all the large caps are bulging. Because of the unknown history of the unit and appearances of the caps and overheating, I had...
  21. M

Dynaco PAS 3X Rectifier Replacement Voltages

I have replaced the selenium rectifier in my PAS 3X with silica diodes. I also replaced the original 25V 2200uf caps with new 40V 2200uf caps. After all was done, not unexpectantly, there was a change in voltages, but I don't know if the voltages are okay for operating the preamp. I was...
  22. M

Curcio Audio PAS 3X Selenium Rectifier Replacement

I intend to replace the selenium rectifier in my PAS 3X. I found the attached replacement instructions on the Dynaco Doctor webpage. One thing that I noticed is that there are no resistors indicated. It was my understanding that resistors are required to drop the voltage due to change to...
  23. M

C 80 - No Output

After replacing TR 118 and TR 120 which had burnt up, I fired up the C 80 on a dimbulb tester (40 watt bulb) and variac. The audio sources were a CD player and turntable. I did not get any audio on headphones using any of the inputs. I don't know if it has any bearing on the no audio...
  24. M

C-80 Transistor Substitution and Other Questions

I need to replace the 2SB560 and 2Sd438 transistor on the MC amp board. Both these transistors are NLA. I have found recommendations of using a KSA1013 for the 2SB560 and KSC2383Y for the 2SD438. Both are available from Mouser. Are these acceptable for this application? Also, there was an...
  25. M

BIC 912 Platter Removal

I am trying to remove the platter from a 912 turntable. BIC installed a heavy circlip that I can't get removed by my usual methods that consist of prying it open and popping it off. Before I escalate to untried and risker methods, just thought I'd ask what methods others have used successfully...
Back
Top Bottom