Search results

1. Alan G.

Fixing a warped record, we'll see!

I put a warped LP on a glass table, under a pile of books for a YEAR. No change. Honestly.
  2. Alan G.

System Hum on Phono Setting

Thats what I meant.
  3. Alan G.

System Hum on Phono Setting

Gave my son-in-law a Pioneer PL-51a turntable. It had a hum, too. He checked for internal grounding, which was intact. Turns out it was the audio cables (they were not hardwired to the TT, which appears to be your case). Replaced the cables. No hum.
  4. Alan G.

Refoaming Paradigm Atom Bookshelf Speakers

I re-foamed those very speakers. Used a putty knife to remove the backs (carefully). Took a picture of the wiring, ordered a re-foaming kit from Simply Speakers, which came with glue. As mentioned, the removal of the old glue is the most laborious task - and I did completely. My first...
  5. Alan G.

Bought a Realistic LAB 420 off fleabay

Linn turntable hinges are exact. I ordered directly from them. https://www.houseoflinn.com/product/pair-lp12-lid-hinges/
  6. Alan G.

Technics SL-1600 issues after eBay purchase

Yeah, that old grease cakes up, especially with non-use. I bought one with the same issues, opened it up, removed the old grease with long cue-tips and alcohol. Re-applied lithium grease, worked the levers and stuff. Runs like a champ. Yours will, too. Great TT.
  7. Alan G.

Record Cleaning Machines

Record Doctor V, Triton Mix, MoFi brush to apply the mix, Home Depot purchased edge brush (fine enough) for two distilled water rinses. Clean records with no static. Record Doctor does get warm, so I do 6 or 7 LPs at a time. Then into MoFi record sleeves, new outer sleeve, and place the record...
  8. Alan G.

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

I clean via Record Doctor and often wonder how long to leave the cleaning fluid on (the formula with the quat) before vacuuming. Mostly it’s on for maybe 10-15 seconds. After that no static problems.
  9. Alan G.

I just made a DIY cork mat...

I’ve made my own cork mats for my three operating turntables. Cost me $4-$5 each. Never have I had a problem with cork particles sticking to the records (except at the very beginning) OR the records spinning independently on the cork. PLUS, I’ve not had a static problem (mats lifting with...
  10. Alan G.

DCM TF 350 Speakers

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dcm-time-frame-comparison.441762/ Middle of the page. I have the 350s. Love them.
  11. Alan G.

Pioneer CT-F2121 frustration

Thanks, Pioneered! Actually, I checked the tension when the FF lever slams the idler capstan (maybe wrongly named; the one with the two tires) against the big wheel (the driver?). Compared that with the tension of the idler capstan against the big wheel during RW. Both from the bottom. The FF...
  12. Alan G.

Update: and sorry it took so long. I took the unit apart and noticed that that leaf spring really doesn’t put any pressure on the rewind function. So, it seemed the pressure for the rewind stuff was exerted by a small spring; not the same pressure exerted by the leaf spring during FF! I...
  13. Alan G.

Who is our oldest active member?

It means I can’t help myself. I still collect stuff. I have a basement full of stuff and an only child who asks, “Whataya gonna DO with all this stuff?!”
  14. Alan G.

Who is our oldest active member?

I’ll be 71 in September, with no right to collect anything any more. But....
  15. Alan G.

Idler tire - Pioneer CT-F650

Have you guys tried the WJoe Radio website? They offer belt kits that include the capstan tires. They also include printed instructions with diagrams. They’re at WJoe.com
  16. Alan G.

I got my belt kit from WJoe Radio that came with 4 capstan tires and certainly noticed that the idler 2 had smaller I.D.s., making them thicker than the originals. At one point I re-swapped them with the originals. No difference in FF. Maybe I blew it here: there’s another “idler”, all plastic...
  17. Alan G.

It will take awhile to get back to you with results. I’m completely out of those 6” q-tips. Essential! Had to order some online as the my last bunch was from Radio Shack. Funny how a combination of old lubricant, a metal leaf spring (do they bend, get out of whack during years of usage? No...
  18. Alan G.

Albums Revisited-What Was I Thinking?

Sometime in the mid-‘60s, I bought a Herman’s Hermits LP. I must have been in high school. Why?
  19. Alan G.

Hey! Thanks, guys! Now I have a project again. I figured this was a mechanical problem. Hope I can do some tweaking, and I’ll do a better job of clearing off and reapplying lubricant.
  20. Alan G.

Under load, yes. I’ll try to locate and adjust whatever spring is pulling the idler onto the flywheel. Whatever pressure it is now is stopping the motor and belt from turning continuously.
  21. Alan G.

There are springs all OVER this thing! Did you lesson the tension on the center, two-tire idler by stretching the spring slightly? How did you get at it? It does seem that the idler is a little too tight against the flywheel, binding it.
  22. Alan G.

Motor says 9VDC. I’m getting 10.23V.
  23. Alan G.

Thanks. I’ll try that first. I watched a YouTube video of a guy who took apart the motor, did something to the brushes and oiled the bearings. It’s weird how the rewind works like a champ, but FF doesn’t. Uses the same idler wheel with two tires, same motor. By the way, I know this was an entry...
  24. Alan G.

i recently acquired this cassette deck. Belts were shot, of course. So, I got a belt and capstan tire kit, replaced everything, cleaned and lubed it. It plays. It even rewinds. It will fast forward without a tape, but really slow, laboring, inconsistent speed with a tape. Anybody share that...
  25. Alan G.

RIP Russ Solomon of Tower Records

Ah, the Tower in San Francisco! An event! We’d have to park what seemed miles away, but it was worth it. Stacks of LPs even in the aisles. They had everything. Kid in the best candy store. You made that possible, Russ. Thank you.
Back
Top Bottom