Search results

1. M

Asking for Help for Using Soldering Iron on Old Printed Circuits

I am ready to replace capacitors on a 1974 solid state integrated amplifier. This is going to be my main amp. Right now, it is working but I also know all of the caps are original. I am not new to soldering at all, but I'm looking for any tips for not burning up the signal traces on these...
  2. M

Onkyo TX-8500 - Where to begin?

I bought this receiver for and it lights up, stations tune in, some dial lamps are out, but it never come out of protection. I'm sure it is all original, so everything is pretty old. I know I'm in a learned crowd here and I'm just a noob, but where do I begin to find out why it never comes...
  3. M

Dead Tuner Lamp TU-5500

I recently got a TU-5500 tuner. Works great, all lamps working except the tuner needle lamp. So I got a stock of replacement lamps from David here on AK, replaced the tuner needle bulb, and it worked! ....for awhile. Now, it is dead again. I substituted with a new lamp. No light. I checked the...
  4. M

Getting Started to Update 5000A

I found a treasure for cheap in a 5000A that is all original with F-6013 driver boards. Everything is original ---all caps, transistors, resistors, etc., even the lamps. One thing I checked is the FM Stereo light is not lighting even though the lamp is good. It plays good in all functions...
  5. M

What happened to my AU-D7?

I pulled out of storage my AU-D7 this morning to plug 'er up and see how she sounded. I haven't played it for about two years but it played great. Now it blew the power fuse! What happened?? It was stored in an even room temp place, no humidity...What the heck happened? I inspected it...
  6. M

Table of Obsolete Diodes and Current Equivalent Diodes

Hi all, I am looking for a chart / table of equivalent diodes that would fit for diodes no longer made or obsolete. I am working on a stereo receiver that was made in 1979 and many of these diodes are no longer made, at least not with the same identifying numbers & letters. I'm a rookie...
  7. M

First thing to go wrong on Onkyo TX-8500

I had a chance for buying a Onkyo TX-8500 for $300 where the seller said it had no sound. One picture showed function was on AM, another picture showed a lot of lamps were on, but the one picture that got me was no jumpers for pre-out and main in. I bought it just for a hunch that it was the...
  8. M

Luxman LV-113 / LV-109

I have an opportunity to buy a Luxman LV-109 (with a warranty of 30 days). I already have a LV-113 which needs work, probably mostly dirty contacts and switches. I have never heard an LV-109 so I don't know what to expect from it and how it differs besides the higher output wattage of the...
  9. M

Onkyo A-8087 No Sound, Protection Relay Working

I've looked around to find another thread about this problem but so far I haven't found one. My Onkyo A-8087 turns on, waits about 5 seconds before the protection relay clicks, all lights work EXCEPT the Speaker A or B lights and no sound at the speaker terminals. The headphone jack works fine...
  10. M

Going for a Preamp

I'm at the beginning of putting together my first separate system of a 2 channel preamp and power amp. I found an Onkyo M-501 for real cheap (the seller is moving into surround sound) but the NAD 1600 preamp I have sounded just plain bad with it. Then I took the pre-out from a NAD 7155 and it...
  11. M

Phono Board Transistors for the Sansui 5050

I was working on my 5050 and ran into the need to replace the transistors on the phono board. I don't have the equivalents for these older transistors. Does anyone here have good manufacturers and numbers for these? I'm just getting into working into transistors and I don't have a chart for...
  12. M

Luxman Integrated Amplifier Plays Only with Line Straight

This is an A-353 integrated amp. I bought it for cheap, so why not? It plays in all functions but only with "Line Straight" --- when I turn that off, it is dead quiet. Where should I start? There are jumpers in the back for Pre-Out and Main-In. Any help on where to start would be great...
  13. M

Ground Problem on CD Inputs? Luxman LV-113

I have a Luxman LV-113 that was working fine downstairs so I brought it into my main listening area but when I hooked up the cd player, the sound was very faint in both channels. That was odd because it worked fine 15 minutes downstairs before I moved it. Anyway, I tried different cables to...
  14. M

Phono LOUD Hum on my 5050

I just did some recapping on my 5050, hoping I could solve the very loud hum from the right channel when I go to Phono. The left channel is dead. The hum gets louder as I turn up the volume and is silent when I turn the volume down. I have not touched the tone board but did replace the caps...
  15. M

Difference between Sansui 5050 and 6060

I have a 5050 that I just recapped and am very pleased with the sound of this 30 watts per channel unit (at 8 ohms). I have an opportunity to get a 6060 unit that needs some work --- that work is my hobby, it is not my job! Anyway, they both have the same front plate, same knobs, dial, etc...
  16. M

50uA for Bias?

I recently recapped a Sansui 2000 and tried to set the bias using the 25uA but I can't seem to get each channel less than 50. I used the instructions of the Service Manual and tried to use the V802 & V804. I got very little inflection. I did not use a dummy load but left the 8 ohm speaker I...
  17. M

Balance control acts like a volume control

I just came into possession of a NAD 7400 Monitor that breezes through the protection relay just fine when I turn it on, but it puts out only Mono sound. The Balance control acts like a volume control on both channels, except when I get to either extreme on both channels, the respective channel...
  18. M

Finding a Sansui 7000 for cheap

I found a Sansui 7000 for cheap --- the cord was cut---- so I got it, brought it home, spliced a cord to it and plugged it in. Turning the speaker switch to Off, I did power it up with the function set to Tuner (a wire was connected to the 300 ohm tap). The right channel fuse --- a 5 amp Quick...
  19. M

AU-666 Blows Left Channel Fuse

Where do I begin? I'm a rookie, although I've recapped a couple of units, but this AU-666 I got for a song just blows fuses on the Left Channel, but not all the time. (When both channels are playing, the output is low and distorted.) Why would that happen??---Some of the time but not all the...
  20. M

Raising Capacitance in Power Caps

I bought a pair of 6800mF/80v caps for the power section of my receiver from a person who said they were be a vast improvement over the original 4700mF/50v. I installed them without any problems, biased correctly, and hooked it up with headphones only. The receiver (which was working fine...
  21. M

How to 'read' NPN/PNP transistors on E-C-B

I completely confess my glaring lack of understanding of how to read the new transistors I get in terms of their Emittor-Base-Collection identification. I know, I know, it must be obvious but I'm not getting it. If the transistor is not marked, I'm lost. I've looked at video about this, read...
  22. M

Trimmer pots go bad?

I am working on a Sansui 881 that I picked up for a song and it has a lot of good things for it but it's shows a lot of signs of neglect-----like rust on the frame, the bottom cover, and the inside is really filthy. I cleaned it up (not the rust, not yet anyway) but the one thing that I tested...
  23. M

Bias Current on 5050

I need some help on an 5050 I have that plays extremely well but I wanted to check the Bias Current according to the HiFi Engine. Mine has the F-2648 board. But the HiFi instructions show using voltmeter leads to R-05-R07 (for the Left Channel) but my board only has R07-R09 instead. The same...
  24. M

Going to Give an Onkyo TX-7000 a Try

I saw a TX-7000 on the bay and decided to buy it. I've had (and some still have) a TX-2500, TX-4500, TX-5000, an A-10, A-7090, T-9, and the only one that I had checked out by a tech is the TX-4500. I was told by the tech that one IC was bad but didn't have a replacement (which one, I do not...
  25. M

A Real Surprise --- AU-3900

Some months back I picked up an AU-3900 for under $100, but within a few days I found an AU-7700 for about the same money. The 3900 got pushed in the back and I never tried it out until tonight. WHA??? It is playing now and I am really surprised at the big sound I am getting from (according to...
Back
Top Bottom