Search results

1. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

Great!! Enjoy your retirement!! I just retired as well. Auditors ~ the new regime. Don’t get me started only to further hijack this simple G-9000 knob thread. However,,, We closed the machine shop mainly for two reasons, we were all in our 70s and all those new auditors and inspectors trying to...
  2. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

Ok, so I looked at it again real close with a loop, doubt it was a grinder, zero tearing of aluminum. At first it looked just like how an aluminum racing cylinder head intake runner looks when professionally hand ported with a die grinder with a six flute carbide rotary bit, but it would’ve been...
  3. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

I wish I knew how to post images here taken with the iPhone, I’m sure it’s probably pretty simple. I’d be happy to show pictures of these knobs. I started out in the late 60s as a receiver guy: Seven, Eight, Eight Deluxe, 9090DB, then my last and current G9000, all were purchased brand new. Now...
  4. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

The difference in the front facing knob surface appearance (two-toned) is absolutely from machining these at two different feed rates, the shiny outer portion was cut with a very clean tool very fast at a relatively slow feed, so it looks polished. The random “choppy” edge grip at the top...
  5. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

I also have a G-801 with narrow-cut knob set. I’m not ready to take all these receivers out of their ‘stack’ just to check serial nos for date of manufacture any time soon, but I will be interested to learn if these variants followed a chronological pattern ~ meaning either a change-over for...
  6. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

As I examine this knob very carefully, it also seams they have polished this random machined pattern after machining. Surface finish (RMS) is a common specification required by our aerospace and military contract jobs, and more often than one might think, it’s probably just for cosmetics. The...
  7. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

All rotary knobs on each version have uniform patterns across the front panel. The wider fine machined edge style knobs also have a noticeably coarser texture on the grip edge compared to the thin style version. Perhaps there is a machine shop that can affordably duplicate that texture so...
  8. M-D-Z

G9000DB tuning knob

I am retired machinist, I have two G models, one wide, one narrow. I always marveled at the very unique surface treatment Sansui gave the tactile grip ring on those “one-of-a-kind” knobs. The special texture would be quite difficult to replicate exactly, because it appears to be a random pattern.
  9. M-D-Z

Poor man's Sansui GX-5 rack

I’ve looked for exact replacements, but have been unsuccessful locating enough original nuts, I could use like ~50 more. Originals have an integral spring that prevents them from falling down the vertical rail slot. I ended up making solid brass sliding double threaded hole T-blocks (nut-plates)...
  10. M-D-Z

Poor man's Sansui GX-5 rack

I don’t know what Sansui called their special OEM captured nuts that came with my GX-5II, but in my experience as machinist and mechanic, the term “cage-nut” most often refers to the integral spring/clip-nuts made to snap-fit into the std rack mount rails manufactured with pre-punched square...
  11. M-D-Z

What am I in for? Aiwa AD-6900 mkII

Try this seller, he’s the guy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylindrical-Idler-Tire-cassette-deck-AIWA-6900-6700-6800-M800-700-600-and-others-/353014595736?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
  12. M-D-Z

Never bad mouth a Bose stereo in the owner's home

Beer fueled highs, behavioral lows, must be Bose.
  13. M-D-Z

which sansui cassette deck ?

Just joking, I have heard discussions of keeping recorded tape away from strong speaker magnets and huge transformers, so I keep recorded tape stored away from direct proximity, just to be safe in case there’s something to that argument. My cell phone has a strong neodymium magnet in the...
  14. M-D-Z

I enjoy my 122MKII very much, it is a true workhorse, I wish I had one more as backup, but four? … nice!. I also have a tascam 234 3.75”/sec four track deck. I do appreciate the good fortune of living in a country where audio things are so widely available and affordable, can’t imagine having so...
  15. M-D-Z

Cool, you must certainly know that you have a very nice machine there indeed. Plus it has more modern features than an older AD-67/6900 series. $35?!?!? Nice!! ~ HX-Pro, DBX, three heads, I have not experienced your particular model in person, but it’s a top end piece from a manufacturer who’s...
  16. M-D-Z

YIKES! That’s a tragedy, but hey, I had a similar scenario play out back in 2001, with a very nice, and very complete HiPerf big block Chevy race engine, after delivering it to my ‘best friend’, he reneged on his end of the bargain and then claimed the engine was dumped at the same landfill...
  17. M-D-Z

Kev, Did you ever find your dream AIWA deck? If you have not, may I recommend one model that should interest you? Now I have Nak ZX-9, CR-7, Tascam 122MKII, and a load of other super fine decks here, but the one I’m recommending is the Aiwa AD-6900 MKII. It’s up there in my top three cassette...
  18. M-D-Z

Did you ever get your AD-6900MKII restored?
  19. M-D-Z

Sleeper Sansui Receivers?

I love the look of my 7000. I also have 3 Sevens, an Eight, and an Eight Deluxe. All four of these models sound quite similar to one another to my ears, at least when compared to my modern ARC gear anyway. Well it just took me while to find a near perfect 7000 and clean enough to not look...
  20. M-D-Z

Are integrated amps better than receivers?

Well it really wasn’t my question, it’s the title of this thread. I just thought that the knowledgeable folks here (possessing expert repair and restoration skills) might share similar observations. I bought these three particular Sansui separates in, I think ~1978, long before this discussion...
  21. M-D-Z

Are integrated amps better than receivers?

I was reading and hoping the experts would weigh in on these aspects: 1) comparisons of shielding differences between separate boxes vs all-in-one receivers. 2) possibilities for hum, RF noise or other interference related problems from external (exposed) interconnects that are longer compared...
  22. M-D-Z

Sleeper Sansui Receivers?

The brand has come to be widely, and deservedly so, respected as having been a maker of very good sounding, well enough built vintage receivers. Sansui was a formidable contender in the 1970s ‘receiver wars’, with units like the 9090db and G-33000 Any receiver with this name plate would have a...
  23. M-D-Z

SAnsui SE-99 Light Pen

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies. The Sansui brand was my first love, with a (then brand new) model Seven rcvr. Yes, I possibly did overpay for this one, and I did not even realize at the time that there were two separate wired control accessories available, and that this auction was...
  24. M-D-Z

SAnsui SE-99 Light Pen

Re-reviving this thread with a few questions. I have an SE-88 (w/remote) connected to an AU-X711. All is good. I just won an SE-99 (including working wired remote/mic RE-99) to add to my AU-X911DG setup. No one should be too surprised to hear the bad news: no light pen. It seems as though all...
  25. M-D-Z

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Back
Top Bottom