Search results

1. bakes

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

That passive is a neat construction - the spider is glued to the back of the cabinet, no real basket to speak of.
  2. bakes

Dynaco A-25 Tinsel Wire Repair

Thread the new lead through the terminal holes (they will open up with a soldering iron), clip the old wire off at the cone so there is about 1/4" remaining, and solder the new flexlead to the old wire stub. Make sure you leave enough flexlead so that it doesn't go taut when the woofer is at...
  3. bakes

Speakerlab kit speakers

Restored a pair of 7s (with the ribbons, like the bottom pic in Speakerlabfan's 6/3/09 post) for my next door neighbor, who was about to toss them when moving because he couldn't find anyone who could glue the surrounds to the polypropylene cones. Umm, yeah, hold my beer. ;) Absolutely...
  4. bakes

Vintage UK Speaker ID help needed (80s?)

Given the driver complement, with a good crossover these should sound delightful. That Peerless tweeter is justifiably well regarded, and the woofer (Bextrene, so likely a KEF unit but possibly Focal) looks to be a quality unit.
  5. bakes

Speakerlab DAS 7 restoration - info wanted!

Redid a pair of previous model 7s for my neighbor who was about to toss them ("I can't find anyone who knows how to glue the surround to the polypropylene cone." "Hold my beer...") - the Speakerlab/Nesterovic dual bass driver designs dig very deep with a lot of impact. His had a slight amount...
  6. bakes

Aleene's tacky glue disappointment.

If it takes too long to dry, just use a blow dryer. :dunno:
  7. bakes

KLH-1 Score

In my experience, a smaller cap will likely move the frequency higher. But that also depends on the impedance of the drivers and the other components.
  8. bakes

KLH-1 Score

Nope - they literally came in the factory boxes that way. I wonder why the change? What are the serial numbers on yours? Mine are 006976 (can't get to the other at the moment, blocked in by wood for a construction project) Curious to see whether they are older or newer.
  9. bakes

Help with diagnosing small woofer noise

They may have weakened over time, but honestly, if you plan on playing them with music with strong or deep percussive bass, get a subwoofer and cross it over at around 80-100 Hz. Be kind to the little guys. :)
  10. bakes

Please help identify these speakers ... this may be a tough one

A lot more than I did about them!! :thumbsup: If that's the case, then definitely cross them over lower, to be safe maybe 200hz.
  11. bakes

KLH-1 Score

May have posted these before, but the before and after shots. Are the values the same as in yours?
  12. bakes

The bottom of the two ribbons may be a Pioneer unit. Top one is JVC with a black faceplate rather than black and silver. If they work, I'd pair them with a very fast woofer, probably cross over around 500 Hz (not sure how low the Strathearns can go).
  13. bakes

Definitely Strathearn and JVC ribbons - played around with those ribbons as supertweeters on my KLH3s back in college. Still have one, the other died.
  14. bakes

Speaker cabinet separating

Never thought of the hacksaw trick before, but with a thin enough fine-tooth blade and patience it could work pretty well.
  15. bakes

Speaker cabinet separating

It's difficult to squeeze expanded particle board or MDF back into its original shape. You could use some thinned wood hardener, inject it into the gaps, and then use a strong bar clamp to squeeze it back together but there's no guarantee it will work.
  16. bakes

Unused speakers for 10 years from "outlet"

Basically 1/3 of the price new. Do they come with the stands?
  17. bakes

Help identifying speakers

Definitely DIY, and I don't see a single driver that screams JBL. Silver screwheads holding the baffle on are a dead DIY giveaway. May have been some older cabinets that were retrofitted with a new baffle and whatever drivers the guy had sitting around. Don't mean to sound cynical, and they...
  18. bakes

JBL L100 Century or 4312A

TELL US EVERYTHING YOU KNOW! NOW!!!
  19. bakes

Driver ID please Crigler Brothers speakers

Tweeters are Peerless SKO10DT from the era when they were making them in New England. Woofers also look like Peerless.
  20. bakes

Crossover KLH 1

I used that original schematic to recap mine - worked great.
  21. bakes

Shahinian Arc - wow!

Sorry, never saw this! Looks like a German aluminum dome, maybe an LPG or similar. There is a Canton 1.5" mid on the auction site, but the original is going to be tough to find.
  22. bakes

Are these old Advent speakers?

Look like Philips tweeters and, by the octagonal basket, possibly a Philips woofer as well. Not sure about the goop on the cones, but likely there to attempt to break up a resonance.
  23. bakes

Need help diagnosing a problem with a JBL 128H woofer

You can carefully remove the dust cover (dome) with an Exacto knife and examine what is behind it. Have not had a mass control ring come loose before, so I do noy pretend to know how to fix that if that is the issue. May need to send it for repair somewhere.
  24. bakes

What's the deal with the ZALYTRON website?

I emailed Elliott about a year ago. They are out of the speaker biz. A shame, when I lived on Long Island I used to go there on a semi regular basis and shoot the shit with Elliott. Super knowledgeable and very opinionated, which I appreciated.
  25. bakes

Anyone recognize these speakers?

They give off an ACI/Audio Concepts vibe, but nothing like them in the catalogs I can find.
Back
Top Bottom