Search results

1. Navy Guy

CSS p215 Kit: Experiences?

Hi Nils, I found your post from the back link on our analytics page. There two local audio groups here in Southeast Michigan and a lot of the members hang out on AK. They might be able to provide some feedback. I've hosted a couple events at my house where they were able to hear the P215. The...
  2. Navy Guy

CSS- Audio: New source for speaker parts and kits

Just as an FYI, I reached out to CSS to see where they are located since they were originally in Canada. They said they are now in Southeast Michigan and while they don't have an actual shop, the owners said you can contact them to come by their home for a listen.
  3. Navy Guy

CSS- Audio: New source for speaker parts and kits

What is it about the site you don't like. I think it looks a lot better than 90% of the sites in this type of category. Did you ever see the old CSS site? It seems like most small companies like this have websites that look like they are stuck in the dial-up days. BTW, I've heard their new kits...
  4. Navy Guy

Creative Sound Solutions new website

Don't know if you guys have seen this yet or not but CSS was supposed to be closing up shop. They are back in business now under new ownership. Seems they are out of stock of the SDX subwoofers but they are going to give away a pair of a new Criton kits if you preorder a sub. They are also...
  5. Navy Guy

New YouTube Channel for Speaker Designing How To's

Hey guys, I've heard some people in the past (at least on the PE Tech Talk board) request video explainers on how to use some of the software out there so I've decided to start a YouTube channel for exactly that. I don't have all my gear here, so I'm starting with Woofer Box and Circuit...
  6. Navy Guy

New Rega RX Series speakers

Because it is a coaxial and the tweeter sits in the middle of the midrange/midwoofer, you end up with the same radiation pattern in both the vertical and horizontal plane. With a typical MT or TM, and this is all assuming the tweeter and woofer are both aligned dead center on the cabinet's...
  7. Navy Guy

New Rega RX Series speakers

The main reason why companies would do this is that it flips the vertical radiation pattern. A typical TM arrangement often has a suckout in the crossover region a few degrees above the listening axis but much better performance below. Reversing the arrangement to an MT makes for better vertical...
  8. Navy Guy

Proprietary drivers

There are a lot of reasons companies use "proprietary drivers" and many of them have been mentioned already. Sometimes it is merely cosmetic changes to put a logo or different dust cap on. Sonus Faber used to change the spike on the ScanSpeak ring radiator tweeters from aluminum to brass. Some...
  9. Navy Guy

T/S parameters - do they change with use?

Mechanical break-in is definitely real, as you seem to have found for yourself. It loosens the suspension parts and will often change Qms and Vas as well. Heat will affect Fs, but it is temporary. Mechanical break in for new drivers will stay however. This is why I only break in new drivers by...
  10. Navy Guy

building a better tiny speaker

Yeah, the OS is a great little speaker but I wanted to really push the limit of how small I could get and still hit 80hz. I'm using the near wall as surrounds in my small apartment so they suit my needs just fine. You can also search for the Heliums by Scott something or another. They are...
  11. Navy Guy

building a better tiny speaker

Check out one of my designs, the Choti HT. It's about the size of a Blu-Ray case and a pair can be built for about $100 (including the lumber) http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?239533-Choti-HT-A-Micro-HT-speaker-using-the-RS100-4-and-ND16FA&p=1940843#post1940843 If you want...
  12. Navy Guy

Great crossover calculator site!

+1000 Calculators don't take into account varying impedance or frequency response of the drivers over the range of operation of the crossover components or the fact that they have varying positions of acoustic centers. You need to use a software modeling program to get the best results. You...
  13. Navy Guy

Getting in way over my head, but why not?

Yes, left side of the schematic is the input side. Right side is the driver side. I can't see the images here at work. Does it list polarity on the tweeter? If it doesn't, start with positive polarity and listen for any suckout in the midrange or a lack of soundstage. Flip the polarity and...
  14. Navy Guy

DIY Harbeth 40.1

Stuffing the cabinet does lower standing waves and it will also lower the amount of reflected waves coming from the back wall back through the cone. It does not actually increase apparent box size though. It merely lowers the Q of the driver in the given cabinet. There was a really good...
  15. Navy Guy

I see two different versions when I search for pictures. One has a pincushion style woofer and regular tweeter. The other has a truncated frame woofer and offset tweeter with a arrow point grill. I'm not sure which parts you ordered. The truncated frame woofer looks to be a Peerless HDS model...
  16. Navy Guy

DIY Harbeth 40.1

I understand how musical instruments work. I have been a musician most of my life. That doesn't mean that is what they are doing. They do not say the cabinets operate like musical instruments, only that they use the same construction techniques. That could mean a myriad of things and is really...
  17. Navy Guy

Sorry, you posted while I was typing. I would not use a "stock" crossover. I don't think you will be happy with the results. Those crossovers do not factor in baffle step losses, actual driver impedances or frequency responses, and assume both drivers are equal sensitivity. End result = pretty...
  18. Navy Guy

That Zaph Audio design is definitely not the same woofer in the Concertino. Do you have the Scan Revelator woofer used in the Zaph Design or the Scan woofer from the Concertino? Crossover design is not as easy as psyloid makes it out to be. At least not to get good results. You can teach...
  19. Navy Guy

ADS 780/2 crossover - need advice

The caps are sometimes rated in VDC and sometimes VAC. If it is non-polarized and is rated in VDC, you can read that as VAC. Again, you don't need to find the exact voltage rating on the caps. The voltage rating will not affect the crossover slopes/performance. It dictates how much power the...
  20. Navy Guy

DIY Harbeth 40.1

I don't know why everyone thinks their cabinets are designed to vibrate. They are not. This is directly from the Harbeth website: Harbeth cabinets employ the same constructional techniques used in musical instruments, where material selection and damping are all-important. The traditional...
  21. Navy Guy

I would get metallized poly. Voltage won't really make a difference. The uF value is the important part. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  22. Navy Guy

All those black caps are electrolytic and can drift with age. You can replace with new electrolytic caps and return to stock spec for cheap or you could spend about $15 or so more and put in poly caps for the 11uF. I would just replace the 68uF with another electrolytic myself. The blue cap is...
  23. Navy Guy

Revel Performa3 M106 vs Canton Vento 830.2

I'm not talking about B grade forthe surface. BB was short for Baltic Birch. Baltic Birch ply is not the same stuff you get at home depot that they call cabinet grade. Baltic Birch, also sometimes refered to as Marine Grade is void free plywood. And I'm definitely not advocating using solid...
  24. Navy Guy

Art, I agree that MDF does not imply a bad speaker. MDF is a fairly non-resonant material, but BB ply is stronger and more rigid, will flex less, and weighs less. The only real reason to use MDF over BB is the fact that BB is about 3 times as expensive. This is why I bring it up in terms of...
  25. Navy Guy

Bose sells a lot of speakers, regardless of the fact that the qulity of parts are low. The argument that they are popular, have won award, or have been around for 40 years is irrelavent to my point of low quality parts. I would love to hear some of their other speakers, and see the insides as...
Back
Top Bottom