Search results

1. C

Audiolab 8000A RCA Jack Replacement -- Need help identifying parts

I have a late-model Audiolab 8000A that has been working great aside from the RCA jacks which have almost entirely crumbled away and become loose or missing, a common issue with these units. There used to be a part on eBay to replace it, and I have two images of what this part looks like: I...
  2. C

Thrifty College Student's Audiophile and Gamer Awesomeness

I'm an excellent student, so no worries there. Until April I'm working a paid co-op job and not in class, so I'm getting the experience and the education necessary to land a good one. Heh, well I do have a milkcrate! look under my turntable and you'll see some records in a wide milkcrate...
  3. C

Yeah emulation is an alternative to using actual hardware and original cartridges. Its legality is questionable, but it can be much more convenient than the original gear. I've used emulators many times, but nothing beats playing on the original hardware. I'm sure everyone in this community can...
  4. C

I'm glad you got some ideas from my setup. What I really hope is to inspire some people to save doomed rear-projection CRTs from the dump. Ooh yeah I'm always on the lookout for one of those things. LaserDisc players are rare enough on their own, so who knows if I'll ever find that model...
  5. C

Yup that's one of the ones I still have never come across. I'm also looking for a CD-I and a few other obscure consoles.
  6. C

You might think I'm some rich and spoiled 20-year-old brat, but really I'm just a patient bargain hunter. Check it out: First you'll notice that I have two TVs side-by-side. Yeah, two! The 40" Samsung LN-T4081F ($211 used on eBay, orig. retail $3,000) is outstanding for OTA HDTV channels...
  7. C

My DIY Speaker/Amp Selector Box w/ Banana Plug Inputs!!

Thanks guys. And yeah, Otto, I figured it would be best to use a DPDT switch for my purpose. My dad actually has an old switch that could have switched everything with one flick (not sure what the name of this switch type would be), but it looks to be 40+ years old and I don't know about its...
  8. C

My DIY Speaker/Amp Selector Box w/ Banana Plug Inputs!!

I wanted to hook up a single pair of speakers to two separate amps (a surround-sound AVR for gaming and movies but a stereo amp for serious music listening), so I looked into the options available. Turns out there's not much out there with banana plugs, and the available options are way...
  9. C

Energy Pro 22 Stand Angle? Building replacement stands.

Wow looks like a great thread right there that I didn't come across while googling. Funny thing is those pics I posted originate from that site. So mikeybc, unless those measurements in the post on CAM are inaccurate, I should be set without needing you to go through the trouble of taking...
  10. C

Ok six degrees, that helps. My rough estimate from pictures was about five degrees, so at least I wouldn't have been too far off. The only reason I'm iffy about doing the taller stands is that the original brochure really emphasizes the importance of the original stands. I'm not sure how...
  11. C

Thank you so much, I would really appreciate having those pictures with the ruler for the height.
  12. C

A couple months ago I bought a pair of Energy Pro Monitor 22 speakers, but I don't have the original stands. I have a brochure about the speakers that say the stands are critical to proper performance, but I am only given the height at 10.5 inches with a "slight angle." I've looked up many...
  13. C

Check Out My Unique Thorens TD-160 Mod

I left the electrical ground unattached. I wasn't sure where I should ground it, and I figured I'd test it for hum before trying to add any grounding. I also didn't put a separate ground output since it was originally designed to not use a ground. Fortunately once I got the turntable all...
  14. C

Thanks for the tips Arnold; maybe I can do that with thin cork or felt sometime down the line. I'd seen other pictures similar to that, and the TD 160 Super came with cork already on it like that, right?
  15. C

I did a few modifications, as you will see in the pictures, but the unique one is my power cord mod. I haven't seen anybody else do this one. I took an old computer power supply, ripped the power cord input out of it, and made room for it in my Thorens. This allows me to use a heavy duty power...
  16. C

Old Ferrofluid... Possibility of My Tweeters Overheating?

Currently I have mine hooked up to both my Audiolab 8000a and an AVR. The AVR is a Marantz SR4000 (no, not the vintage one, one from the early 2000s). I have a little switch units that I made myself each using a double-pull-double-throw switch, speaker terminals, and plexiglass folded into a...
  17. C

Oliver thanks for the info. I don't hear any sounds to suggest that it's dried out, but I did find some document online from the manufacturer that said the fluid should only last about 12-14 years. These are long past that! Charles, glad to hear yours are going strong. I'm driving mine with...
  18. C

Genesis 2 - should I hide the screws or not?

v When I saw this topic title I thought you meant one of these puppies: :lmao: Anyway, I prefer the look with the screws concealed. Looks cleaner.
  19. C

Last weekend I picked up a pair of Energy Model 22 Pro Monitors for $60. Only problem I discovered was a bad woofer which just turned out to be a simple cold solder joint. Fortunately both of the tweeters are working great, but I'm worried that they might not last too long. After all, these...
  20. C

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Woah never heard of this kind of Goodwill. Sounds intense. I have a large goodwill with a separate "Bargain Room" attached to it. Almost everything in the Bargain Room is $0.75 (Used to be $0.50 a few months ago :grumpy:...). Anyway, they just let everybody in and don't have that system like...
  21. C

My NHT VT-2 towers only have woofers... Midrange & Tweeter Suggestions?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured that's what the fluid must be after I searched about it at the time. Both tweeters were completely dead and made no at all. I threw one out and saved another for size reference. No I didn't consider buying NOS. That would probably be out of my budget...
  22. C

My NHT VT-2 towers only have woofers... Midrange & Tweeter Suggestions?

Long story short: Last year I bought a pair of NHT VT-2 speakers for $100. I thought that I was getting a great deal, but later I realized the tweeters were leaking brown fluid, the midrange drivers were not original (replaced with cheap, stiff RadioShack drivers :cry:), and only the woofers...
  23. C

Roomba Vacuum

I have one of the early Roomba models that I got from my grandmother. I think the thing is nearly pointless, because it's not as effortless as you might think. It has a tiny compartment for what it picks up, it doesn't have much sucking power, it is tricky to clean out hairs, it needs to be...
  24. C

Recommended Modern Sources

Ok, I'll make a recommendation: As a college student, I am on an insanely low budget, so I can't quite afford too much of that modern gear out there... but I was able to afford a $40 sound card. I know a lot of people spend big money on fancy external DACs, but the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 makes...
  25. C

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Hi, this is my first post here on this forum: I go to flea markets, yard sales, and thrift stores quite often. Here are some of my best audio bargains of all time that I have found: Audiolab 8000a for $25 at Salvation Army This is one of the later models with gold-plated jacks and a "video"...
Back
Top Bottom