Search results

1. moodydan

Marantz 150 No Scope

I've had this sitting in my garage for about 2 years now, planning to give it a look someday when I didn't have anything else going on. I've been sick for the last week and stuck inside, so I finally pulled it out and dug in. The issue I'm trying to tackle is no scope display. Initially, upon...
  2. moodydan

Sony TC-K650ES Power Issue (capstan motor related)

I’ve got a Sony TC-K650ES that I really like, but I’ve had to replace the capstan motor twice. So…when it’s turned off with the power switch, the light in the deck well cuts out for a split second, lights back up, and the capstan runs as long as the deck is plugged in. I’ve had it plugged into a...
  3. moodydan

Hafler DH-500 buzz/hum help

I’m pretty tired of seeing the amplifier, but I’m going to give it one more shot before calling it quits. Originally, it was blowing a resistor on the protection board (I’ll edit to say what resistor it is, but it feeds off the ~90v supply) - I replaced it, as well as all electrolytics (except...
  4. moodydan

McIntosh Haul

I went from having no McIntosh (and rarely seeing it), to having a few stacks of it - all in about a 2 week span! Not pictured is the MC2105 that I’m currently working on, and I’ll be keeping the C28 to pair with it. That leaves me with a C26, MC2002, MC2505, and MR71 to get sorted and find new...
  5. moodydan

Picking up a MC2105, C26, MR71 set next week

A buddy of mine has had this set for a few years and just doesn’t use it, so I’m gonna bring it home and give it some exercise. Aside from general cleaning and maintenance steps that I’ll find in the Service Manual, do you guys suggest anything I should do? The set works (but needs some lamps...
  6. moodydan

Pioneer SX-525 No Stereo Light, No Signal Meter Reaction

I'm currently going through a nice 525, may end up in an office system for me (or may get shuffled off if there's no room for it!). Either way, I'm just about done with it and the last thing that's "wrong" with it is that the Stereo lamp does not light up (although the lamp IS good), and the FM...
  7. moodydan

Fisher 450-T Output Transistors and Bias/Idle Advice

I'm wrapping up work on a 450-T; I'll preface this with the fact that I do have MJ21193G/MJ21194G on hand, but I do not have 2 of each (I have 2 of one and 1 of the other). The outputs on the right channel were toast; I've recapped the power supply and power amplifier, now need to replace the...
  8. moodydan

2265B Main Filter Caps Advice

I'm working on a 2265B and about to put in an order for parts, but realized I have a pair of United Chemi-Con SMH 15000uf/80v caps that I ordered for something forever ago and never used. The originals are 10000uf, so these are a bit bigger than the advisable 20% over; any qualms with using...
  9. moodydan

KA-5500 Diode Question

I have a KA-5500 that’s in great condition and sounds great, but the left meter doesn’t work (found a bad 1N34a in there). Will this circuit be compromised by substituting 1N4148 (or ??), or should I track down the 1N34a (or equivalent, looks to be obsolete). Thanks!
  10. moodydan

SA-9100 Rebuild Woes (stuck in protection)

I've had this 9100 since 2016, sitting on a shelf waiting patiently to get repaired. Since I'm currently working from home, I've been using this time to work through my pile of projects. First was an SX-2500 that's up and running, but I should have expected to run into issues with something! For...
  11. moodydan

Sony TC-RX80ES no reverse play w/new belt?

I found this deck out in the wild, but needed new belt. Too easy, right? I replaced the belt and pinch rollers because someone on eBay had a handy dandy kit already put together...plays great in forward play, and both FF and RW work as they should. However, when I try to play in the reverse...
  12. moodydan

Beomaster 6000 cap/service list

I’m working through my stack of projects (down to my last 5 or 6 things, progress!) and completely forgot about this receiver being there. This sounds great at low volume, but kicks into protection when turned up - seems to be a common problem due to caps that are on their way out. Just...
  13. moodydan

Realistic STA-2100D driver transistor question

I'm working on a Realistic STA-2100D with a blown left channel (2SD400 shorted, outputs shorted, drivers mismatched from some long-forgotten repair attempt by...who knows?). I've looked up the parts lists and recommendations on here; 2SB649A/2SD669 are recommended to be replaced with...
  14. moodydan

SA-9100 main caps

I recently restored an 8100 that had some bad diodes in the power supply and I like it so much now it has me looking at a project 9100 I’ve had on a shelf for a while. I’ve got all of the replacement parts needed from the suggested lists in this sub forum, except the main filters (suggested...
  15. moodydan

VPI Classic 1 (temporary) cart question suggestions

I picked up a Classic 1 for what I think was a great deal; however, I had to send the cartridge (SoundSmith Zephyr MKII) in to have it re-tipped due to the lack of a cantilever... So, in the meantime (I'm getting anxious - I wanted to wait for the Zephyr, but it's almost a month now that this...
  16. moodydan

Pioneer SA-8100 Blows Main Fuse

I have an SA-8100 that I picked up several years ago planning to use as a parts unit - but I don't need it for that now, and it's in pretty nice condition! So, I want to fix it. First sign is the main fuse is blown; I replaced it and plugged into my DBT - of course it lit up. I measured...
  17. moodydan

Sony TC-K650ES no output

I had 3 cassette decks dropped in my lap, basically fix 2 and keep one in trade. (The three are TC-K909ES, TC-RX80ES, and the one I’ll keep - this TC-K650ES). Uninteresting autobiography aside, it’s got no output! No source plays through, and no output from a cassette known to be good. Looks...
  18. moodydan

Shure V15 Type III opinion changed

Obviously nothing new here to say this is a great cartridge; it’s universally well-reviewed and used on a wide range of tonearms and tables. However, I recently picked up a Dual 701 with Type III attached. It came with 2 styli - one that was supposed to be a JICO (whatever their $60ish option...
  19. moodydan

Philips Bookshelf Electrostatic Speakers Help

A friend of mine has a resale shop and had these come in his door; we took them apart and looked at the guts of them, but can't figure how to actually hook them up. I can't imagine they sound amazing, but it would be fun to hear them, all the same! I'd like to just hook them up to a regular...
  20. moodydan

ARIA Studiotrack IIII R504 transformer

I found an ARIA Studiotrack at GW yesterday with a blown fuse - for $10 I figured it's worth taking a look at. I'll finish testing it tonight, but I'm pretty sure the transformer is shorted. I've not had any luck finding a service manual for this thing; anybody have advice on how to find a...
  21. moodydan

Marantz 2330B P800 rebuild issues

I'm working on a 2330B that's been sitting on my shelf for about 4 years, and decided to start with the power supply board (P800). Everything matched up with the service manual, except for the following transistors (listed with what I believe are good subs): SM states: Q801 2SC1567 --> KSC2690...
  22. moodydan

Micro Seiki DD-40 / MKX-15H doesn’t turn

I’ve got a (cosmetically) really nice DD-40 that I would like to bring back to life. I’ve got power (the strobe light comes on), but I only get a small jerk of the platter when I turn it on - then nothing. I’ve seen plenty of threads of runaway speed with the model/motor, but didn’t find...
  23. moodydan

Nakamichi BX-125 Pause Issues

I’ve got a BX-125 that eats tape when paused. I’ve replaced belts and the idler tire, but nothing changed. When pause is engaged, neither spindle turns, but the capstan is engaged and pulls tape along the tape path. With no place to go, it just bunches up in the well and wraps around the pinch...
  24. moodydan

Pioneer CT-F9191 lamps question

For the 24v lamps (Memory, Type, Dolby), would anything be damaged by using a 12v incandescent lamp and putting a resistor in line? A 120 ohm 1/2 watt resistor cuts the voltage to 12.3v, but I don't want to do such a thing if that's going to hurt something ahead of (or after) the lamp.
  25. moodydan

Hafler DH-500 in Protection

Not really familiar Hafler equipment and this one has me stumped. I've looked at several other threads about this same topic, but I'm not having much luck. This DH-500 came to me this way - powers on, switch light is solid, but does not come out of protection. I've replaced capacitors and...
Back
Top Bottom