Search results

1. Trawlerman

A mix of eras?

I just go with what my ears like and what my pocket can afford. Just because something is old, that does not necessarily make it obsolete. Much of my gear is 90's and was bought either new at the time or s/h in the early 00's. The oldest pieces of gear are my 1964 Thorens TD150 w/ 1970s SME3009...
  2. Trawlerman

what do you drink when listening to music?

I like to wind in the morning after my nightshift with some nice jazz. Holly Cole / Diana Krall etc. and often i'll have a cup of Twining Breakfast Tea just as it is, black - no milk, no sugar. Very relaxing. If i'm listening in the evening then a nice bottle of european lager goes...
  3. Trawlerman

Fathers Day and Daughters' Vinyl Reaction

nice one. heart warming story. I wish my family were more like that. My two step-children just shrug their shoulders and walk off looking for their MP3 players. The Mrs, just smiles and is happy that listening to my system makes me happy. They have all openly admitted that they cannot...
  4. Trawlerman

Grado SR60s

I've had the Grado's for about 5/6 years now. I also have Sony CD3000s, Stax Lambda-Nova, Sennheiser HD25sp/580/600 and a pair of AKG K1000s. Given all those i've got a fair bit of experience with the finer sounding 'phones but there is something about those little Grado's that I really...
  5. Trawlerman

Renenwed enthusiasm .........

Does anybody else go through phases with there interests? I've been big into HiFi for over fifteen years now. But with work and a new lady taking up more and more of my time recently i'd become a little jaded of listening to my system even though I had invested heavily in some nice...
  6. Trawlerman

What are you drinking now?

Right now? Well it's 0700 and i've just come on shift so nothing stronger than a nice Pot of of Tea. Tetley tea bags of course. Alcohol wise, these days I have a real liking for: Kronenbourg 1664 Stella Artois Staropramen Guiness (off tap) Bulmers Pear Cider Jagermeister I'm...
  7. Trawlerman

Grado SR60s

Hi, I just revamped my Grado SR60s with a pair of new foam pads. These have been packed away in their box for at least three years. Well all I can say is that i'm glad I got them back out and in circulation. The sound from these SR60s is great considering their relatively low price...
  8. Trawlerman

Any owners of Sugden gear?

I have a Sugden Headmaster headphone amp here. Got it about 5/6 years ago to drive my Sennheiser HD600's. A really nice custom made piece of kit. From what I know, all of the Sugden stuff is manufactured in-house and hand assembled. Sugden owners tend be more discerning and know what they...
  9. Trawlerman

Your cold dead hands?

My Spendor SP2/3 speakers. They are a BBC style monitor speaker and I just love them. They have rosewood cabinets and are in excellent condition. I got them from a local dealer who didnt think much of them so they were cheap. Only problem is that I dont have the room for them at the...
  10. Trawlerman

"Standard Kit" all AK members should have -- what's in it ??

My essentials include : SHURE SFG-2 Stylus gauge Spare Cartridges and stylii Small toolkit for mounting / setting up cartridges Cartridge Protractor Small bottle of alcohol for cleaning stylii Bubble level for racks Record Brush (Decca 4+4 and Goldring Brush) Spare tubes for Power...
  11. Trawlerman

Audio guilty pleasures

My guilty pleasures are my AKG K1000 headphones ..... The cost of these even on the s/h market is quite something. I probably should be looking to sell these as I need the money with a new baby on the way but I just can't part with them. They sound so good even as standard like mine. I...
  12. Trawlerman

what power amp do you have or had

Current system; x 2 Rotel RB970s Audiolab 8000Q Pre EAR 834p Tube Phono Stage w/ Electro Harmonix ECC Parasound P-PH100 SS Phono Stage Sugden Headmaster Headphone Amp I have four of the RB970s and the other two are in a system at my parents house. When I bought them back in 1997 I...
  13. Trawlerman

Amps that go good with TDL speakers.

I used to own a pair of TDL RTL3 floorstanders. From looking at your avatar they were similar to the 1m's. Boy were they bassy. So much so that they used to boom and were very difficult to tame. In the end, I bi-amped them with 4 x Rotel RB970s running as monoblocks. Used an Audiolab...
  14. Trawlerman

Quick! What are your "reference" albums?

On CD Natalie Merchant - Tiger Lilly Pink Floyd - DSotM (recent 30th anniversary SACD version) XLO Test / Reference recordings On LP Eurythmics - Savage (great dynamics on this one) Jeff Wayne - Musical version of the War Of The Worlds Sade - Diamond Life Peter Gabriel - So...
  15. Trawlerman

What TT's do you folks have

First time back on here in quite some time. I've changed my system setup recently as i've moved in with my g/f. At the parent house I have: Project RPM9 w/ Carbon Fibre Arm. Ortofon Rohmann MC Rega Planar 3 w/ RB300 and Reson Reca MM Dual 506 w/ Ortofon OM5 Pioneer PL12D Thorens TD150...
  16. Trawlerman

Recording LP's to CD or MD...

Not a lover of recording LP's to CD. Don't really see the point. If I want to listen to my LP's then I put the LP's on. Sure it's nice to have some old LPs on CD that cannot be had on CD but they sound soulless to me. And CD's that have ticks and surface noise on them no matter how...
  17. Trawlerman

Technics SL-1200MKII thrift store find!

Good find. Pretty much everything is available for these from Technics/Panasonic or local dealers. You could even get a deck overlay to cover up the marks on the trim. Plenty of spares also on eBay.
  18. Trawlerman

French noob need help : Garrard GT-15p

What's not to understand? The arm at the bottom of the image lifts the belt and moves its position on the spindle. The spindle is milled so that the lower part regulates the speed to 33 1/3 rpm and the higher part at 45 rpm. This is the same mechanism that was used on many turntables...
  19. Trawlerman

Tape Dropout's on Maxell Tape?

Sounds like a shedding problem? Did you clean the heads between turning the tape over? Just because they are NOS in-the-wrapper, that does not qualify their quality so to speak. I tend to shy away from old tapes. Tape Decks are finnicky things at the best of times. The only...
  20. Trawlerman

Optonica brand- is it Sharp, or JVC re-badged?

It was SHARP's attempt at the higher end. They produced some decent stuff.
  21. Trawlerman

Rotel gear- the lowdown

I have a pair of RB970BX-II Power Amplifiers in my main system. They have been in daily use for around 10 years now and do not show any signs of slowing down. When I bought them I actually wanted four x Audiolab 8000M Power amplifiers which were £800 each! I tested the Audiolabs against...
  22. Trawlerman

Maxell or TDK?

Horses for courses my friend. There is no best. Just a personal preference. For cassette tape I always used Maxell Ferrics and TDK Chromes - usually SA's. For reel tape I have used both and have a preference for UD1 and XL1 from Maxell but that's just me. I haven't used enough TDK...
  23. Trawlerman

Tone controls--yea or nay?

Yea...... as long as they can be defeated. I hate not being able to switch them out. The main problem with tone controls is that many people just crank them up as far as they will go and also activate the loudness control in a an attempt to get the volume louder. The effect is that...
  24. Trawlerman

Stylus for Shure M111E, M111HE, RXT5,6

As PAUL C has found the N97xE stlus assembly can be used in the M111 cartridge body. I tried mine a few days ago and they are completely swapable between them without any adverse affects sonically.
  25. Trawlerman

Laser Turntable is analog ?!?

I see the ELP Laser T/T in the same light as the old Laserdisc system. That used 12" CDs for want of a better description but the modulation system was analog and not digital at least for the video. Because there was no compression involved the amount of video information (data) stored...
Back
Top Bottom