Search results

1. DustyOldPile

CX Decoding

So...the short lived and rare CBS CX noise reduction system... only a short list of titles were ever released in this format. I have one of them, Translator's "Heartbeats and Triggers" album. It sounds a lot like a DBX tape that is played back without decoding....thin, without a lot of bass...
  2. DustyOldPile

Dokorder 9100 -- Thoughts? Opinions?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Dokorder 9100 R2R for not too much. What can the group tell me about this unit?
  3. DustyOldPile

Pioneer CT-3000 bad hum

PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING: 1. It is not sitting on any sort of electronic device or near any kind of transformer. 2. It only hums when the head is engaged whether tape is moving or paused. It does not hum when the head is not engaged. 3. Plugging in a set of headphones makes the meters...
  4. DustyOldPile

Cerwin Vega 211R help...

I need a woofer and the rear facing horn replaced/repaired for one 211R. Where do I start?
  5. DustyOldPile

Add a light to cassette well?

So...there are a lot of great cassette decks with an unlighted cassette well. My three head JVC is one of them. In this day and age of modern LED lighting, has anyone found a practical, clean and easy way to add a light to a cassette well? It's a real pain in the ass to try to see how much...
  6. DustyOldPile

Realistic SCT-31 erase head non functioning

Hi all, I picked up a Realistic SCT-31 three head deck off of an auction site fairly cheaply. After changing the belts and cleaning/aligning the heads, all would seem well, but in record, the erase head isn't functioning. Any tips? Thanks, Dusty
  7. DustyOldPile

Shure 2215?

Hi all, I have a Shure 2215 cartridge, native to a MCS (Technics) turntable. What is that equivalent to in actual Shure model number, and what are the better stylus options for it, other than the standard 2225 stylus? Thanks, Dusty
  8. DustyOldPile

Teac A-3300-10 help

I have a really nice Teac A-3300-10 that's about 90 percent there. I've put on new belts, did my DeOxit due diligence and adjusted the reel tables and brakes and rejuvenated the solenoid for the pinch roller (which is in nice shape). Mechanically, it performs nicely. Playback is great...
  9. DustyOldPile

Grado ZF2 questions...

Having a little trouble finding a definitive answer to my questions by just googling, hoping some of you folks can chime in. I recently bought a turntable that was owned by an elderly woman with a handful of classical records and had been in storage for quite some time. I was told that a new...
  10. DustyOldPile

So I bought a Garrard Zero...

Hey, for $30, how could I go wrong, right? I haven't picked it up yet, but it seems to have something wonky with the counterweight. Where do I start with this thing? I'd like to get it working. Yes, I know that there's a love-hate thing going on with this model, but I kind of regard it as a...
  11. DustyOldPile

Signal processors, then and now

Numerous people, myself included, have found that judicious use of some elderly DBX products that haven't been made in decades can be beneficial for listening to vinyl - both in a dynamic range expansion measure and in reducing surface noise and noise in general. Specifically, the DBX 1, 2, 3...
  12. DustyOldPile

Strobe/Alignment disc on Amazon

I ordered one of these on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Cartridge-Alignment-Protractor-Stroboscope/dp/B00E3UZ5BW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547827660&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=strobe+disck I thought, "what a neat idea...everything you need in one disc". The strobe side works...
  13. DustyOldPile

ReLoop enters the 'Hi Fi' market

ReLoop, a German firm that apparently works with Hanpin to make first-rate DJ tables, has an entry specifically for the hi-fi market. The "Turn5" boasts a wow and flutter spec of 0.01%. S/N isn't bad for a TT, but not spectacular, at -55dB. It ships with an Ortofon 2M cartridge and comes...
  14. DustyOldPile

V15 Type II...

So who currently has the best bang for the buck stylus for V15 Type II? It would seem that the landscape has changed since I last looked. Not looking for the cheapest, but the best sounding/tracking for, say, anywhere from zero to 80 dollars.
  15. DustyOldPile

Camcorder to Digital questions...

I realize that I'm teetering on being off topic here, but I figured that someone here may know the answer. I have an old VHS-C camcorder, Panasonic PV-L501D. In the manual for it, it shows a video transfer cable that, from all appearances, looks like a standard 3.5mm stereo to RCA jack. In...
  16. DustyOldPile

Bent cantilever? All is not lost.

This is the second time that I've done this successfully out of two attempts. I recently picked up a Pioneer PL 55D that had a Grado F3+ on it with a bent cantilever, as in bent like a fish hook. Using my favorite girly girl tweezers, a magnifier on a stand and patience and gentle care, I was...
  17. DustyOldPile

Got a bad strobe light?

Your smartphone can help! Android: Strobily iPhone: TrueNote NOTE: The strobe patterns on some platters (like the Pioneer PL-550 / 570 and possibly some JVC models and others) will not correspond with the stock 60hz settings on these apps. You may need to calibrate the app with a known...
  18. DustyOldPile

Pioneer PL-55D question...

Why on earth would Pioneer make the PL-55D with strobe markings on the platter and adjustments for speed for 33 and 45 but NOT have a strobe light on the unit? What the heck?
  19. DustyOldPile

My Daddy had a saying...

..."even a blind sow gets an acorn if she keeps ruttin'" And so it was yesterday. After going through countless crappy Craigslist ads for records where either they were junk or I was a call or two too late, I hit a good haul. 2 large UHaul moving boxes full of pristine vinyl and covers...
  20. DustyOldPile

Vowel Free Playback?

What's the scoop on these new TRNTBL units? Are vowels detrimental to the listening experience? Kidding aside...are these any good, or just more mass market craptastica?
  21. DustyOldPile

PL-550 / 570 Owners Club

I may as well get the big plattered, picture of woodgrained Pioneers on the Owner's Club bandwagon! Which do you have, how many, so on? I have both, in original condition. A little peeling, dust covers aren't the best. The auto functions on the 570 still work (knock on wood).
  22. DustyOldPile

Flickering strobe, PL-550 & PL-570

Seems to have zilch to do with performance, but the strobes on these two tables has taken to flickering. What's the cure? Will it eventually be a problem?
  23. DustyOldPile

O Rings on the Tonearm - Legitimate or Hokum?

I've seen a lot of YouTube videos claiming that shoving a bunch of rubber O rings on your S shaped tonearm improves (fill in the blank). Legitimate? Or a load of horse turds?
  24. DustyOldPile

Stanton 500 questions...

I recently was given what appears to be two Stanton 500 bodies and a couple stylii. The bodies are both silver, no numbers, and the Stanton logo on each side. One stylus is marked "D51" and is black. The other is seemingly identical except for no numbers, and that raised square on the front...
  25. DustyOldPile

The Q-Up

So what's the story on the Q-Up tonearm lifter not being compatible with SL-1200 and knockoffs? How can it not be compatible? And yes, $60 is too much money for a buck worth of plastic and metal, but what's the alternative? If it works, I'm in. So...will it work on an AT-LP120? A...
Back
Top Bottom