Search results

1. dshoaf

Sonos goes IPO today - audio speakers for the masses?

Sonos became a public company today via IPO, that magic way of creating mega-rich 20-somethings. Why is this of concern to us old-school, analog-only dudes? Well, there are some interesting items from the linked article: - 61% of all Sonos buyers have more than one Sonos product - They are...
  2. dshoaf

UREI 811C's in the house

Browsing CL this week, I bumped into a guy moving to Mexico and bailing on his speaker system - UREI 811C pair so I arranged to pick them up for 8 bills. I had to rent a mini van since my Mini Cooper is too small for the hauling duty. Here's the story: He was located in downtown San Francisco...
  3. dshoaf

Altec theater speakers or "What happens when old hippies forget where they put it?"

The real Altec Voice of the Theater goes into storage. Cheers, David
  4. dshoaf

Planning a run from the San Francisco South Bay area to Los Angeles in late March or mid-April

Am planning to pick up a large subwoofer cabinet there (~150 lbs). Will remt a van most likely. Anyone need gear hauled with compensation to the driver for the trip? You'll need to pick up your gear in the Santa Cruz area. Likewise, for anyone planning a run themselves, I'd be interested in...
  5. dshoaf

RIP: Mic Gillette of the Tower of Power

I learned tonight that Mic Gillette of Tower of Power fame died of a heart attack this past weekend. Here's a report from the SF Gate paper here in the San Francisco Bay area. I was fortunate some years ago to play with him. A short but I stocky man, I can tell you that he was a powerhouse of...
  6. dshoaf

UREI 813's - want realistic SPL? Here ya go!

I used to have a set of these 150 lb monsters - wish I still had them. I've got way too many speakers otherwise, I'd be all over them. Originally designed to be soffit mounted, they work great just sitting on the floor - flipped over in the case of the picture below, though. Pic is from CL...
  7. dshoaf

Dealing with I/F tuning slugs

This can be a vexing topic. I thought it might be helpful to learn from some of our ham radio hobbyists. This is for folks learning about them for the first time. Here's a discussion on preparing to deal with them. So, you broke one inside the can? Here's a discussion on coping with...
  8. dshoaf

Absolutely silly! Drive-in speakers for your iPad?

These things are actually for sale on a local CL ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3a62Z6Y3k How many times did I drive off with one of those speakers still hanging off the driver's side window glass? Cheers, David
  9. dshoaf

Big Al's Record Barn, San Jose, CA

So, you like musty and dim record shops with dusty floors and more LPs than you can even look through in 2 weeks? Here's the place - Big Al's Record Barn in San Jose, CA. Look fast, though, as Big Al lost his lease: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/nationalbreaking/ci_21829535 Bummer for...
  10. dshoaf

What happens when you mate an Altec with a JBL?

Ok, get out the beer and sit back. Here's a recent project that involves a set of JBL 4647A cabinets mated to a set of Altec 604-8Ks. The question is will these work well together or not? The Altecs were recently reconed by Great Plains Audio. The cabinets were pulled from a big disco...
  11. dshoaf

Excellent source of live performances - streamed to your system!

<< Not sure if this is the best forum for this recommendation - moderators, please move as appropriate. >> Background..... For the past few years, I have worked from home and run the stereo for those many hours I slave over my laptop. I've set things up in the Man Cave so I can sit in the...
  12. dshoaf

Reaching out for some help: WWII USO 78 playback request

Hi folks, Normally I'm one of those old guys posting replies but here's a request you might find interesting.... Request: Borrow a 78 stylus or a turntable for playback? Playback what, you ask? Here's the story: This weekend my wife was going through her father's boxes of WWII...
  13. dshoaf

Ampex AG-440

Here's one available: http://monterey.craigslist.org/ele/2992279562.html That's the middle of California close to Monterey. I _always_ wanted one of these but settled for a Crown SX-724 back in the 70s. Cheers, David
  14. dshoaf

Gameboy oscilloscope? No way? Yes, Way!

I've been dinking around with some of the little projects found in a nice European magazine called, Elektor. They're allied/own the old Circuit Cellar magazine here in the US, too. Here's an interesting little ditty some may find interesting...
  15. dshoaf

A very special evening with live FM in the house.....

Yes, that's right. I am soooo fortunate to live in a special place, here in Santa Cruz in September. As I write this, my local public radio station, KUSP 88.9, is broadcasting a live stream from the Monterey Jazz Festival. It is Sunday night and Terrance Blanchard, along with his Straight...
  16. dshoaf

New thread: Bay Area HP alumni check in here....

This thread is intended to separate out a parallel thread that got started here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=375580&page=9 Bay Area HP alumni, please check in here and let's continue on! I had the best 20 of my career with HP in the Enterprise computer divisions. The...
  17. dshoaf

So, where did some of those great 60's album covers come from?

I don't normally wander over to this forum but thought this might be of interest to any number of people who, like me, grew up with what is now considered Classic Rock. Of interest is one of the photographers of that era, who has opened an exhibit out here on the West Coast of California...
  18. dshoaf

New downloadable periodical on High Quality Audio

From the Elektor.com newsletter.........looks interesting with a great roster of authors, too. ********************** New high-quality technical audio periodical Publication date: 1 September 2010 Linear Audio Publishers of Hoensbroek, The Netherlands, have announced the release of...
  19. dshoaf

If you are on the US West Coast, one of the better electronics flea markets

I thought I'd post a bit of what I found at last weekend's Electronics Flea Market in Cupertino. This is a monthly market that has been held for years in the heart of Silicon Valley. Lots of fun stuff, depending on what you'd like. I'll post a few more if there's interest. Cheers, David
  20. dshoaf

The AR MST/1 speaker from the mid-70s

I spotted these in a Craigslist ad a couple of weeks ago. The seller couldn't seem to identify them and, at the time, I thought these were the smaller versions of the mighty AR LSTs. Well, they are of sorts. It turns out they were introduced a few years after the LST and used the same 3-sided...
  21. dshoaf

AR MST - no not the LST

I spied a set of unlabeled speakers in an CL ad yesterday and ended up picking up a set of AR MST/1, the second version of these. No pics yet but here's what a pair look like from the Classic Speaker pages...
  22. dshoaf

A very nice evening with surprisingly good gear.....

It is Happy Hour in Capitola this evening. While I am - and have been - a McIntosh kind of guy for decades, I am only recently discovering a competitor of Mac's for almost as long as Mac has been making gear: Harman-Kardon - specifically their Citation line. Here's a picture of their...
  23. dshoaf

How to know when WAF kicks in......

Here's a cute one that I hope no one here ever has to deal with: LAZYASS BOYFRIEND'S RECORD COLLECTION and ALL HIS OTHER STUFF (richmond / seacliff) Date: 2009-12-17, 5:46PM PST Reply to: sale-phyr2-1515140917@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] At the corner of 42nd Avenue...
  24. dshoaf

Ortofon query: M15E Super

I've been working the kinks out of a recent TT project, a Harmon Kardon ST-7 with their built-in Rabco arm. Old_Tech has one of these pictured when he posts if you're interested. The 'table came to me with an Ortofon M15E Super cartridge mounted on it, a MM cartridge at that. It appears the...
  25. dshoaf

Query for Advent rebuilding experts...

I've spent a bit of time in the archives here at AK and elsewhere on the 'net but little difinitive detail on the following: - Advent Masonite Woofer: the spider and voice coil have detached but are not torn or otherwise misaligned that I can tell. The glue joint mating the two pieces...
Back
Top Bottom