Search results

1. wallybob

Sony PS-X7 help

Yes that looks like the one that came with mine when I bought it new. (Can' find that stock one right now.) And yes they will take most any standard headshell. Note that they have a hole to the left of the tonearm pivot where you can store another cartridge mounted in an after market headshell.
  2. wallybob

Trying to recover mentally from recent brain surgery

Brain damage here 30 years ago-(helmetless bicycle accident, drunk.) Hemorrhage damaged about a walnut size area. Clean & sober now over 27 yrs. Anyway--be patient. Time will heal a lot. I had trouble finding words and communicating for a long time. Trouble for certain odd things like throwing a...
  3. wallybob

Is 128 kbs stream worth getting a "good" DAC?

FWIW-I've been using apple tv with an older Cambridge Dac Magic and I love it. No plans to upgrade (yet?) It cost used maybe $150 (I forgot) And I also run iPod/Wadia digital dock through it.
  4. wallybob

why did you pick your avatar?

I can't tell you because I would have to kill you. Just kidding.
  5. wallybob

Any place in Portland OR for CR 2040 repair

I go to both shops here in Portland. Doug at Audio Specialties is an honest guy to deal with and is only about a mile from my house. Echo has an experienced guy who is new to them and did a good repair on my Audio Research D52b for a very reasonable charge. My AR D100b needed too much work and...
  6. wallybob

Robin Williams Dead of Apparent Suicide in California

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. --Dr. Seuss, this is also cited as an anonymous proverb
  7. wallybob

Snell K IIs in the house

Congrats. I've had a pair of type K's for a few years now and just love them for the same reasons you mentioned. They work excellent with one of my Harman Kardon 730's.
  8. wallybob

obscure 80s bands, have any favorites?

NW US 80's bands-- Billy Rancher and the Unreal Gods The Confidentials Johnny and the Distractions before & after 2000-UNKLE
  9. wallybob

Best speaker match for Harman Kardon 730 twin powered

HK 730 manual and my experience with them say that it's ok to use ONE pair of 4 ohm speakers but just not TWO pair of them. Snell type k are nom rated at 6 ohms. I believe that both woofer and tweeter are Peerless brand.
  10. wallybob

Best speaker match for Harman Kardon 730 twin powered

I have one of my 730's with Snell type K's in a small room and love the combo.
  11. wallybob

For happy Grado users: What TT do you use?

I've had a Grado Prestige Silver in cart rotation for years now on my Sony PSX-7 direct drive turntable and it works great with no hum etc. (Other carts are Sumiko Blue Pt#2, Acutex M315iiistr, AKG P8, AT 8008, etc.)
  12. wallybob

Pioneer tech from AK in the Portland, OR area

I'll second the recommendation for the guy from Echo. His name is Brent and while still at Echo he did some good work on a number of the pieces that I have. I do get the sense that Fred's probably will charge more for him than Echo did, but it sounds like a good choice for your problem right now.
  13. wallybob

HK Citation I/II/III

Yes. If I had any children they would be sold. If you don't have any kids, maybe your wife. :>)
  14. wallybob

HK Citation stuff...

Is that price for all? More info please. Are you interested in some, or all of the pieces? I've been looking for a Cit II for a while.
  15. wallybob

Purchased an Apple TV Today

I love Apple TV too. Mostly I use mine for internet radio. I run the digital signal thru CA Dac Magic to the preamp and IMHO it sounds pretty great. It's also good for Airplay from my mac computers.
  16. wallybob

How many vintage receivers do you have?

Hk730 x 2
  17. wallybob

Portland Waterfront Blues Festival online

Portland Waterfront Blues Festival online Hi everyone. Any blues fans out there? I've been going to Portland OR Waterfront Blues Festival every year for 26 years and taping the online broadcasts on KBOO when I wasn't actually at the festival. It's been every year for a string of days around...
  18. wallybob

Pick Best cheap & used Bookshelf Speaker

I'm pushing Wharfedale 7'1s with one of my HK730's (40wpc) and they sound pretty darn good. On another HK730, I have Snell type K's that sound even better than the Wharfedales.
  19. wallybob

Sony PS-X5, X6, X7 Tonearm Lifter Descent Repair

Thanks for the info. I'll save it for the PSX7 I've had since bought new in the 70's. I've had a couple of minor issues (burnt strobe bulb, regular lube/service) but not this one yet. It's been a great piece. I don't contribute much but I read AK regularly. Thanks guys.
  20. wallybob

Lost in the LP cover for who knows how long....

Yep-found a few seeds still in jacket for my Neil Young Harvest album that I bought new back when it came out. I hear that people used that rough surface paper to remove seeds back in the seventies...;>)
  21. wallybob

Amazed by harman / kardon PM655

thanks sam. it's good to have a little info on the two hk730 i'm currently running. (bought the first on back in the 70's.) love em--Wally
  22. wallybob

TV shows that cancelled to soon...

American Gothic--only one season 1996
  23. wallybob

The First Record You Ever Bought

Surrealistic Pillow-Jefferson Airplane. Yes I am that old. I was a kid that aced enough song recognition contests on AM station KODL in The Dalles OR to win enough 45 rpm certificates to buy my first album. I didn't know it but a monster had been unleashed.
  24. wallybob

Hk 730

Ditto above msgs. I bought first HK730 new (in 1978?) Still loving it! Recently bought 2nd one for another room from CL locally Portland OR for $125. Not the best tuner IMHO but with decent or well-placed antenna just fine. Everything else about them I love tons. Kind of a tube-like sound I've...
Back
Top Bottom