Search results

1. doctor fuse

Lenco L75/PTP6

I think it is somewhere in the hundreds of pages of the Building Turntables from Home Despot II thread over on Audiogon. Not sure I will be able to find it. Adnick, I tried using an old VPI PCL on my L70 and L75 and it wouldn’t work with it. Is there a list of speed controllers that work well...
  2. doctor fuse

Lenco L75/PTP6

Photos? I guess you can’t list the price. I don’t think these Lencos need a speed controller. Perhaps the PSU amplifier makes the motor run a bit smoother but I really doubt it. I got this excellent restored L70 (similar mods to yours) in a beautiful Baltic plinth for $250 CAD (and arm) just a...
  3. doctor fuse

Thorens TD 160 Turntables

I really liked my Thorens decks ten years ago, when they were a BIG improvement over the Technics SL-220 belt drive I was using. Once setup, my TD160 and 145 were very quiet and with very good wow and flutter performance (if the OP is having problems here, something needs looking at with...
  4. doctor fuse

Non MC great carts of all time, those carts that show MC how it is done what is yours?

The two MMs in my collection that make me occasionally change up from my LOMCs, are an Empire 4000D (one day I hope to find a NOS OEM 4000III stylus!) and an Excel ES70EX4 with NOS nude Shibata stylus.
  5. doctor fuse

WHY Do People Purchase BPC and such

I’ve always thought the iconic NAD 3020 started the cheap BPC phenomenon.
  6. doctor fuse

So why do I like a conical needles?

I just picked up a mint Technics linear tracking SL-6 turntable, that came with the original EPC-P24 T4P cartridge, and a spare, unopened-in-box NOS conical stylus. The absence of audible tracking distortion combined with the automatic features and compact footprint almost give the impression...
  7. doctor fuse

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

Of course people can spend their [hard-earned-or-otherwise] money on whatever the f*ck they want. But it’s disingenuous to say that “we all” aspire to the kind of decadent consumption that makes someone purchase a $100K audio piece.
  8. doctor fuse

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

No, most of us do not dream of a life of conspicuous and excessive material consumption. On the contrary, most of us find it rather horrible.
  9. doctor fuse

Show Off Your Small Listening Space

I’ve sold off a lot of extraneous gear. So what do I do? Grab a free Pioneer PL-200 turntable, a pair of free cheapo two-way early-80s (?) speakers, and buy this 1982 Technics mini system. It is now residing in my kitchen dining area, across from the dining table. It cost $50 CAD, and I bought...
  10. doctor fuse

Revitalizing AK

AK is part of my morning coffee ritual. And my afternoon tea ritual. And my after dinner beer ritual. And my late night puff ritual (well, barely a puff these days). I really look forward to seeing the comments and posts by familiar folks like Sgt. Shultz, Adnick, Chris the retipper, etc. I only...
  11. doctor fuse

JVC does not get much respect

And wasn’t Shibata sensei part of the JVC quad team?
  12. doctor fuse

Can anyone identify these bookshelf speakers?

They are looking very similar to photos of cheap Technics and Diatone (Mitsubishi) speakers. Perhaps made in the same Canadian speaker factory, like how today’s Chinese companies make knock-offs of the licensed products they manufacture? Technics SB-K20
  13. doctor fuse

Can anyone identify these bookshelf speakers?

I am listening to a free pair of Made-In-Canada bookshelf speakers. Initial impressions are they sound similar to almost every other cheaply made, lightweight, rear-ported speaker in its class - maybe a little “boxier” sounding, but most of these types of speaker are (budget vintage anyways). I...
  14. doctor fuse

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

I am listening to an old silver, blue and black label Everest Lp (Stravinsky’s Petrouchka with that convicted perv Goossens conducting the London Symphony back in 1959) and I am taken with the good level of realism with disc conveys. My system has some very old components; a modded Lenco L70...
  15. doctor fuse

What to look for in an affordable Ultrasonic Cleaner for vinyl?

Yeah, I figured it was for you (and us!) to see the crud coming out of the grooves.
  16. doctor fuse

What are you filtering the water with? Cheesecloth?
  17. doctor fuse

No wonder you guys post such snazzy photos!!!
  18. doctor fuse

Thanks, Lou. I will remember to cite your comments when I see people advocating the use of Photo-Flo in US cleaners. Is Ilfotol the same, containing propylene glycol? I thought we only had to worry about the glycols in bad ice cream and in so,at hot water heat exchangers!
  19. doctor fuse

An observation: after many (10? 12?) cleanings in the Ultra Sonic, I notice there are some tiny dark flecks stubbornly attached to the tank walls and floor. Has anyone noticed this? I have to scrub or scratch them off. Anyone else have this? And really only ‘a couple drops’ of wetting agent...
  20. doctor fuse

Thanks for this info. Even if my perceived improvement in sound is only in my imagination, I am now even happier I have switched from dish soap to Photo-Flo.
  21. doctor fuse

Finally cleaned a purple of records with Photo-Flo instead of dish soap. I *think* I hear quieter records :D
  22. doctor fuse

What a difference a sharp stylus makes!

I hear you about the love/hate relationship with vinyl (“what drew me into vinyl was the expense and inconvenience”). My initial comment didn’t also mention that I find LOMC cartridges to be more satisfying than HOMCs (I have a stock 110, 103 and 300, and a retipped 103 (basic aluminum...
  23. doctor fuse

What a difference a sharp stylus makes!

The 110 has a beautiful nude stylus on it - I have read that it is similar to a 0.2 x 0.7 hyper elliptical/line contact. The aluminum cantilever is high quality as well. There doesn’t seem to be much point to retipping a 110 unless it makes it a lot cheaper than buying a new one.
Back
Top Bottom