Search results

1. wweigle

Speaker ID

I had a set of similar looking speaker cabinets that I bought at a flea Market that were loaded with 12" Goodmans duplex type speakers from the early 60s. They had a door on the front that hinged in middle and swung out of the way to the side. I have seen other speaker enclosures from that era...
  2. wweigle

Klipschorn's sound muddy and low-fi

How old are you Khorns, my guess if they are over twenty years old your crossover capacitors could be way out of specs altering the sound of your speakers significantly. You should take this question to the Klipsch Korner forum here on Audiokarma.
  3. wweigle

Extension speaker ID requested

I vote Acoustacraft also. Attached is a picture of one of mine. I have seen pictures of others that had more rounded legs like the enclosure in question. They made several similar, but slightly different styles.
  4. wweigle

Have a lead on a 604E pair with networks

I picked up a pair of 604e several years ago. At the time I was using a set of Altec 828 Vott cabinets with Community horns on top. I ran the 604s in a 14 cubic inch cabinet, Bi-amped using a Behringer DCX2496 trying several crossover slopes and crossover points including trying to reproduce the...
  5. wweigle

Some old junk that was given to me today.

I went ahead and replaced the caps in mine once I had them apart I figured I might as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have pictures of the process, that phone is long gone, it was about five years ago. I did however find an audiokarma thread with pictures of the type of capacitors if I remember...
  6. wweigle

Some old junk that was given to me today.

I have a pair of the KN-812, and a pair of their big brother KN-815s. They are very good sounding speakers. The build quality like most of the Goodman's manufactured speakers of the time was high quality, on pare in some ways with offerings from the competition of JBL, Stephens, Altec, Tannoy...
  7. wweigle

Show your JBLs off

Altec 828 cabinets with JBL D130 woofers. JBL 2360a horns driven by JBL 2445J compression drivers.
  8. wweigle

May fav Sansui turntable on Los Angeles CL for $250

What model was it? The add was taken down when I just looked.
  9. wweigle

What are your oldest speakers currently in use or owned by you?

JBL d130 if I remember correctly date to about 1961. Altec 604e about mid sixties, and Knight Goodmans KN-815A, which date to about 1959 to 1961 based on the Allied catalogs available on line.
  10. wweigle

Bi amp question

I use a Behringer DCX-2496 successfully and I think it works pretty well. Its main benefit is being able to try different crossover points and slopes. I do agree with Bowtie427ss implication that it might not be for everyone as it does have a significant learning curve, and at least for me I...
  11. wweigle

1960's Altec "Capistrano" Crossover Rebuild Questions

Curious how you unpotted everything so cleanly. No advise otherwise. The reason I ask as a friend has a set of JBL potted crossovers that he want help rebuilding. Not sure how to proceed other than bypassing the potted capacitors.
  12. wweigle

What are you drinking?

Sippin Some Bulleit 10 year old Bourbon. Listing to Claire Lynch.
  13. wweigle

Altec Lansing Model 19 cabinets

811 horns can be pretty reasonable. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-811-B-Horn-1/202129640532?hash=item2f0fdd8c54:g:M8oAAOSwEZdaHuc3
  14. wweigle

Sacramento CA - Lot of 40+ Turntables for Sale

When I said "good units", I should have stated working units. Agreed! It really is a bunch of junk!
  15. wweigle

Sacramento CA - Lot of 40+ Turntables for Sale

Craigslist add has been running for a few weeks now. Most appear to be none working parts tables with a few potential decent tables. These kind of buy all or nothing are a not a deal. End up overpaying for a few good units with a bunch of potentially worthless stuff you paid to much for.
  16. wweigle

Checking records with flashlight

Also interested in how those in the know evaluate records on the fly with a flash light or sun light. I frequent a local flea market and buy lots of records based on what looks like decent condition primarily based on lack of obvious deep scratches. Needless to say I have been disappointed many...
  17. wweigle

JBL D140... disassembled!

Blue painters tape with a business card or the appropriately thick equivalent works great. Just use care.
  18. wweigle

Tannoy westminster royals build

1 vote for lighter. I always thought the vintage klipsch K-horns and Lascalas that had the lighter grills looked so much better, maybe its vintage look or something to me due to the contrast differences between the grills and the wood, even in the case of klipsch being generally lighter stained...
  19. wweigle

Altec VOTT speakers...in your house?

Running a variation of a the 828s with JBL D-130s, Community RH90 90 x 40 degree horns with 802s, biamped using a Behringer DCX 2496 and Behringer DEQ 2496, a Sun Audio SV-2A3 driving the 802s and a Sargent- Rayment 6bq5 driving the D-130s. Additionally four self powered subs arranged around...
  20. wweigle

Original SL-1200 Tonearm LIFT need/question

Hey, Mr. has been very generous helping all of us with our Sansui 1000A questions and rebuilds. What part is it that you need. I have a bunch of tonearm parts from an original 1200 sitting in a box. I believe the lift mechanism parts are all there. If you PM me your address I would stick them in...
  21. wweigle

Altec 604e Super Duplex orphan

Lots of Good stuff here. http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/
  22. wweigle

Dual direct-drive turntables (drive pics needed)

Here are pictures of a Dual 714q (q for quarts locked I believe). I picked this up last week at a swap meet with a broken, irreparable tonearm. I not sure why I bought it but for $10, I could not stand to walk away. Actually I thought I might try it with an air bearing linear tracker I'm...
  23. wweigle

I’m considering giving an idler drive a try. Has anyone here hacked a Dual???

I read an forum post years ago about someone who did what you are suggesting. Can't remember where. I believe they removed everything so it was a manual turntable, adding mass to the chassis and building a heavy plinth. If I remember correctly they were happy with the results. I had considered...
  24. wweigle

Can anyone identify these speakers?

Without knowing whats inside, its hard to say. A lot of 50's 60's stuff included factory built and home brew using top quality components. It was how things were done back then. Components could be if your lucky, the likes of JBL, Altec, Goodmans, and many others. Given the quality of the...
  25. wweigle

Interesting Article about Speakers

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/01/speakers_career_fortunes_and_what_ifs.html
Back
Top Bottom