Search results

1. J

Audioquest XLR Interconnects for Mic Use

It is, but there are four individual leads. There are four solder points on the XLR connectors(assuming you ground to both points, which there seems to be some discussion about), so I figured it would work fine. And more importantly, I already owned the cable :)
  2. J

Great advice. This weekend I did exactly that. I had about 3 feet of Type 4 cable laying around, and I soldered myself up an interconnect. It's too late for me to really try it out tonight, but it seems like it's just the ticket. The mic signal is slightly hotter, and I notice more treble in...
  3. J

Favorite Fuzz Tones

I've been playing guitar for 17 years, and I still don't know how to define a fuzzbox. Like an overdrive on steroids? Maybe? A pedal that makes it sound like your amp is broken? I think my favourite 'fuzz' pedal was a tube overdrive from Real Tube. It came with a 12AU7, but I messed around...
  4. J

Hi all. I'm wondering if anybody has used these Interconnects for recording mics before. I tried some for a short time, before they went into my system. They sounded a little more full range than my mic cables, but my mic cables are pretty generic. It's possible that the lower impedance was...
  5. J

Should volume into USB dac matter?

In theory, the USB out volume shouldn't matter. It *should* be bit-perfect at all volumes, since it's a digital connection. In practice, try it out a little. I've read(and heard) all sorts of comments about how some players are a little gainy at 100%, and others are fine. I seem to recall the...
  6. J

Hearing difference between speakers?

Honestly, I didn't mention inductance because I don't understand it well enough to explain it to someone else :) But as far as being 98% accurate, I'd point out that we share about 98% of our DNA with most living mammals, so a 2% difference can be a lot. If you've got a signal from 20-20,000 hz...
  7. J

Hearing difference between speakers?

The simple,and most common, answer is that resistance is the only thing that matters. A thick generic cable will be just as good as transmitting information as a fancy-pants thin cable, since they have the same resistance. If you're sending out a simple sine wave, this is 100% true. In...
  8. J

MP3 vs WAV... Does It Really Make A Difference?

That's how I do it. One copy on the desk, another in a fire box, and a third at work.
  9. J

How viable cloud services are really depends on your location. Based on where you live, I'm positive that your internet is better than mine - probably by a few magnitudes. And we have areas just a half-hour drive from me where dial up is the only option. So out here, cloud storage isn't a very...
  10. J

I remember those guys. You could fit a hundred midi files onto a floppy, while a computer would only store a few. The trick was that most midi recorders and keyboards didn't actually record the sound; they recorded the musical notation, and the settings used when it was 'recorded.' When the...
  11. J

Early removable drives were tape-based, even though it was ones and zeroes on that tape. Video cameras were like that too, until about five years ago. I can only assume the poster is a bit older than many on this board.
  12. J

You'd think. But if you shop hard drives up to 4TB, doubling the size is usually something like 120-160% of the cost. Right now you can buy one of the base model LaCie drives for around $200 for 4TB, or around $100 for 1TB. But once you go over 4TB you're basically looking at RAIDs, and those...
  13. J

I use AIF, which is basically a WAV with better tagging options. I thought about FLAC, but space is cheap, as others said. Since a good quality 2TB drive is about $100, it didn't seem prudent to go for anything but the most. FLAC is lossless compressed. It was explained to me in this board this...
  14. J

Any JRiver/JRemote Users Here?

I use JRiver, and love it. I have about 600 gigs of music on an external drive, going into a laptop, and then out to my amp. I'll try to answer your questions, but keep in mind I'm not a tech guy- I really want to be a Luddite, but I'm sick of cleaning records and looking for CDs. Fr starters...
  15. J

High Definition Releases - Reviews

Thanks :P Apparently there was a mastering problem, and the first few batches went out with all sorts of reverb and phase issues. It was corrected, but since those releases are all short-term, it's hard to find a fixed one. On the bright side, that means stereo guys can pick it up cheap...
  16. J

Oh, and on a related note ... The Stephen Wilson DVD audio remasters of the Tull, King Crimson, etc. albums all include a 96/24 stereo mix, and most of them are really good too. Thick as a Brick is a personal favorite(and probably my favorite album ever), but the 5.1 mix is screwed up.
  17. J

I agree with the previous comments on HDTracks' version of Van Morrison's Moondance. It is one of my favorite recordings - not that the original was any slouch. Being a 90s kid, that's where I started. These are all HDTracks files. Counting Crows, A Long December, 192/24 Highly...
  18. J

Furman Elite-15 PF i Power Conditioner

I don't have a Furman, and honestly just hopped onto this thread to see what if any performance differences there were between conditioner brands. I will say that I have a Monster unit from back when they were worth buying(not state of the art, but worth buying), and I found the difference in...
  19. J

Yamaha's new crop of integrated amps

Agreed. The only time I use the tone knobs is on cheap amps or old tube units, and every time it's to reduce the bass. I think it's no coincidence that a lot of higher-end amps don't even have tone knobs. The better the amp sounds(or at least the more transparent), the less likely you are to...
  20. J

B & W vs Bose home theater systems. Which is the better product?

Bose is not meant for, or marketed to, audiophiles. Not in a long, long time anyway. What Bose is really good at is math. Emulating other speakers, and doing room correction to make the system sound like you *didn't* put your speakers in the wrong place, or one on a shelf and one in a...
  21. J

Are high end DIGITAL cables worth it ?

I work at a store that sells AudioQuest, and until recently sold Monster. The AQ guys came by with some high-end cables a while back, and did a demo. My experience was that the more expensive digital cables did make a difference, but not nearly as much as an analog cable. Perhaps this is...
  22. J

That could very well be it. It's also possible that since I have a mix of digital and analog components, I was subconsciously averaging the difference between my various sources. I heard some differences, but nothing but my Blu-Ray player was flat-out better, so either could have been the case.
  23. J

I recently demoed an S501 for about a week. I also took home the S500, as a comparison. The 501 seems to have slightly less low-mid output. Whether this is 'thin' or 'neutral' depends on the listener, I suppose. Either way, it sounded excellent with my Canton Karat MC50s, for both music...
  24. J

Question Regarding A+B Impedences

Some 7.1 receivers have an A+B, where the extra inputs read as 'bi-amp capable.' I understand that it's not real bi-amping ... I guess those extra inputs run in parallel with the fronts? Either way, it's all cleared up now guys - thanks! The amp I'm using right now is a generic, cheaply and...
  25. J

Question Regarding A+B Impedences

Huh. That second bit is confusing. Not the concept - thanks for clearing it up guys. The confusing part is why I read so many reviews, often from credible sources, reviewing tower speakers rated at 4 ohms in the context of multichannel or home theater use. Do newer amps just have better...
Back
Top Bottom