Search results

1. L

Restoration

One of the things I wanted to do in my retirement was restore stereos. Between military and civilian experience I have about ten years in electronics. Now I've been retired for a few years and it's time to get started. I have a pile of stuff accumulated and some of it can probably be...
  2. L

Local girl sued by the recording industry.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/46167-riaa-wins-file-sharing-suit-woman-fined-222000
  3. L

Good tube literature

PAYDIRT!! Thanks...
  4. L

SF CL Pioneer SX-1050. Any one?

You take your chances when you buy this stuff and frequently the odds are against you. (I've got a few hangar queens around the house to prove that.) So when the odds run in your favor you refuse to play the game and turn the advantage back to the house? If you offered the seller $75.00 you...
  5. L

My rant on obnoxious audiophiles and music snobs...

Tired of reliving that teenage angst over and over? Buy something that no one else can afford. Maybe the biggest problem with snobbery is that someone can buy something that no one else can compete with because they ain't got the money. It's all about being confortable with yourself...
  6. L

Am I a moron or might this work?

No problem. You are to be credited with asking an introspective question that cast doubt on your own sense of place in the universe. Takes guts! :thmbsp:
  7. L

Am I a moron or might this work?

A picture is worth a lot. A schematic would cut through the BS and render your question in a usuable form. I've been out of tube electronics for a while but it's not new to me. To read what you wrote requires a first, second, third reading....help out us folks that has to have pictures.
  8. L

Linda Ronstadt "Don't Cry Now"

She was on the NPR show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised by her wit, intelligence, and knowledge of the music biz in general. Goes to show you what promoters can do to one's image in the public arena. As far as the "time and twinkies" are concerned, judge...
  9. L

Whut de Hay?!!

Thanks, the perspective you are offering will lay beyond my grasp for a few more days. The Stingray auction was 140113598650 on ebay. I bid $1200 knowing I would most likely lose. Restoration requires time and I ain't got none, yet. I have a Pioneer SM B200A Tube receiver, the one...
  10. L

Whut de Hay?!!

I know tubes are getting popular. I've been looking for a tube amp/receiver that needs little or no repair and I'm finding that a Sansui tube receiver went for over $800 this week on ebay and anything that has a tube in it has been going at least $200 plus!! These items have at least 40...
  11. L

a garage sale is not ebay

I just bought some stuff at a local neighborhood garage sale. Tools for $6.00 She didn't have change for a ten so I let her keep the change. I still came out ahead. Got a Yamaha stereo for $5.00 elsewhere. Good deal even after I cleaned away the thick smoke residue. Wonder if I could have...
  12. L

Audiokarma Server upgrade We need your help !

Done. Keep up the good work! :thmbsp: Thanks :music:
  13. L

Pioneer Dates of Manufacture

14. L

Pioneer Dates of Manufacture

For what it's worth: TX840............DH3607571M SA1040..........DH3603433S Aluminum tags with aluminum rivets. I bought this "matched set" on ebay. I assume they were originally purchased together. From the list above it would seem to be 1983.
  15. L

Least Reliable Brands?

Went through some of my gear today and the worse numbers in DC offset were turned in by the Pioneer SX-1080 and the best is the Pioneer SX-D5000. I don't consider the 1080 a useable unit even though the seller has insisted that it was working fine. Will check out the Kenwoods later. I'm...
  16. L

What is the Best Deal/Find/Score you ever got on used audio Equipment?

Pioneer TX8100, $5.00 at a yard sale.
  17. L

Least Reliable Brands?

I've only been collecting vintage stuff for about a year but here's my $0.02. Pioneer: Got several of them and it seems that the more highend the the more the problems. Perhaps the previous owners just had to see what those babies could do. Had an 8500II Pioneer years ago. It didn't last...
  18. L

Test Equipment

I just picked up a distortion analyzer so I'll find out the hard way.
  19. L

EPrey: Someone is going to be pissed!

Epay newbie hits the jackpot. I've seen bidding wars but that was definitely ground zero, duck n' cover stuff. $98,000 in debt and your credit gets a NB, maybe. Just awful.
  20. L

Test Equipment

If a piece of equipment is already out the door as a finished product and 30 years down the road, can a distortion analyzer be worth the cost? You can recap and replace key transistors. But doesn't a distortion analyzer tell you more about the design? I never thought of it for...
  21. L

Help me identify this receiver and headphones

If you photoshop the image you can just make out the lettering. The joy stick is for speaker balance in a four channel stereo and if you look to the upper right you can just make out "AM/FM 4CHA..." If you look at the mode switch you can just make out the words, STEREO MATRIX I, MATRIX II...
  22. L

Why 4 Ohm Loads Stress Your Amplifier

Most everyone here knows that if you put an ohm meter across an 8 ohm speaker you don't get 8 ohms. In fact, a single speaker may be near 8 ohms but a combo with a x-over may be somewhere between 4 and 8 ohms. That's just the resistive stuff. When you factor in the reactance of a speaker you...
  23. L

I am... The Black Dahlquist!

Rolllll Anuther One....just Like The Uther One.....
  24. L

Test Equipment

I'm just getting back into test equipment after over twenty years out. Last experience was military and engineering labs for mil contracts. No stereos here but I did do the usual alignment for communications equipment. What I would like to know is this: has testing techniques changed so...
Back
Top Bottom