Search results

1. N

Dual 1019..all quiet

Nice. I have a 1229, 1229Q, and 1019. Not sure if I had to pick one what I would keep. Ability to play CD-4 or ability to play 16-2/3 RPM records?
  2. N

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

One could make the case for some of the better Fisher or H.H. Scott gear, but yes, you named pretty much the Big Three
  3. N

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

A Miura isn't even objectively fast compared to, say, my 15 year old BMW which would likely smoke it (with the flash tune and bigger intercooler that it has, anyway) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't gladly fold myself into one. Sure, it probably is cranky in cold weather and hot in the summer...
  4. N

Do I want HD Radio?

I'm paraphrasing, but the late Bill Thalmann (of Music Technology and formerly Conrad-Johnson) when I asked him to fix the tuner on my H.H. Scott 340B said something like "oh, I'm glad it's a Scott, I thought you had a Fisher and it's almost impossible to get the noise from HD out of those" I...
  5. N

Do I want HD Radio?

This may just be an anomaly of my local station, but I often listen to WAMU (88.5, Washington DC) while driving to work (which is near Baltimore) I notice this when I'm getting close to work, the sound will actually skip back about a second or so. I don't know if this is because it's switching...
  6. N

Do I want HD Radio?

Simply due to the way HD was implemented, the effective range of analog FM is significantly greater than that of the digital signal.
  7. N

Do I want HD Radio?

yeah, I've noticed that too, it didn't used to happen to me but now I'm commuting from just outside DC to just outside Baltimore, so unless I change stations halfway, I'm in a fringe area at one end of my commute.
  8. N

Do I want HD Radio?

I really miss WAMU-HD3 though :/
  9. N

Do I want HD Radio?

HD is mostly dead around me. But, I invested in it when it was a thing (and streaming was still in its infancy). The best tuners IMHO are Sony XDR-F1HD and Sangean HDT-1x. Especially the Sony still has a fan base today, I'd be tempted to search one out. I remember initial reports on the...
  10. N

My Adcom GFA-5800 transformer hums!

I took a leap of faith and ordered the Emotiva cmx2+ - I just got a bonus a couple weeks ago, I find myself short on time, I figured why not? I'm going to need to rig a way to get reliable measurements. I cannot make sense of what I'm reading anywhere, unlike at the wall socket where I could...
  11. N

California Proposes to Force Manufacturers to Restrict Vehicle Top Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit.

I can assure you that that is most definitely not the case where I live. Speed limits are a joke - just a straight 55 MPH limit on any highway. Now they *are* more reasonable in town and in residential neighborhoods, but I would argue that people being conditioned to ignore speed limits makes...
  12. N

California Proposes to Force Manufacturers to Restrict Vehicle Top Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit.

Well that's different. Running stop signs is demonstrably less safe than not running stop signs.
  13. N

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

Tom yum has that effect on me... Totally worth it though
  14. N

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

And then there's the new software, "Cat, I've farted"
  15. N

yeah, see my previous reply, where I am the SL is typically 55. Now that I think about it, the vast majority of my highway driving experience has been on highways with 55 MPH limits. The few times I've encountered 75 or 80 MPH SLs, compliance does seem to be better (funny how that works)
  16. N

Typical highway speed limit here is 55 MPH as I'm between DC and Baltimore so everything is considered "urban" to one city or another. And yes, typical travel speeds seem to be 75-80 MPH although I do have to admit to being on somewhat the faster end of the normal range as it feels safest...
  17. N

Except nowhere that I've ever lived has the majority of drivers been obeying the speed limit, at least on a highway. I'd say 20 over is generally the normal travel speed in good weather outside of rush hour here.
  18. N

There are two dimmers for the basement lights, one of which is in my bedroom (where I'd like to use the amp.) LED lights everywhere, which probably doesn't help, although they are upstairs as well. There's also a Tripp-Lite UPS - a good, true sine wave one - in my bedroom as well, for my WFH...
  19. N

Anyone doing 4 channel playback these days? Found this cart today.

Sweet! I have an AT-15Sa on my 1200 Mk2 and yes it will play CD-4.
  20. N

The thing is, everywhere I've lived, the speed limit has been ignored by the majority of drivers my entire life. That suggests that it is not the drivers that are the problem but the law. The law derives from the consent of the governed and all that.
  21. N

If there is I'd love to know where it is, because I actually think in cardinal directions, so it would be really helpful!
  22. N

I haven't had it on either of my last two phones, so probably 3+ years.
  23. N

Good afternoon everyone, Slowly but surely I am getting all my audio gear functional; currently my desk system is all Adcom (GFP-565, GFA-555ii, GCD-700, and even a GFS-6) save for the cassette deck (currently a JVC something or other I'm testing, going to fix a Tascam 122-B at some point)...
  24. N

The thing about the voices is that some of the ones say a phrase after an alert that the default voices do not have, thus cutting into whatever I was listening to for another 4-5 seconds. Not the end of the universe, no, but it is exceptionally annoying if I'm listening to a news program on the...
  25. N

For certain values of "great". Right now, there's a bug (and has been for months) where some of the alerts are going to be in one of the cutesy special voices, even when you select a standard voice for your alerts and navigation (if you have nav turned on). And why did they take the north...
Back
Top Bottom