Search results

1. bar72

Cassette Deck Speed Calibration Without Breaking The Bank?

^ This is the tape I used along with Musical Tuner 1.3 / wfgui_8. Combining this with elnaldo's post about measuring the tape, I measured out: 1 7/8 Inches Per Second = 4.7625 Centimeters per second 4.7625 Cm per second x 60 Seconds = 285.75cm 285.75cm + 3cm (3cm play head to record head)...
  2. bar72

Parks Audio Budgie Phono Preamp

I just snipped cap legs C21 & C22. Sound's much better now as I was never really happy with the rolled off sound but as it was my first tube preamp I assumed that tubes just sounded rolled off. Not happy that I've ripped nearly 500 LPs over 4 years though and the money I've spent on various...
  3. bar72

How thoroughly should one setup a turntable?

-> Turntable / Platter Level -> Cartridge Alignment with Protractor -> Azimuth Mirror Check ->Set VTF / Anti-Skate Enjoy the Music!
  4. bar72

Parks Audio Budgie Phono Preamp

My Gold Lions are doing the same with my Internet Provider Supplied Router. Swapped Router out for an aftermarket TP-Link Router and the pulsing is gone so I assume ISP Router is using cheaper non-shielded components than the TP-Link. Also noted that my Sovteks from the 80s, JJ Gold Pins and...
  5. bar72

Are all CD's created equal??

I've kept a hold of all my early "No Barcode / West Germany" CDs. Made between 1985 - 1994, they're all flat transfers. After 1994, the Loudness War kicked off and nearly everything had the nasty brick wall mastering that sucked the dynamics out of the album. I understand there was...
  6. bar72

How to Ship a turntable safely

Thanks for the info. Sending a 1200mk1 later on in the week. While "This Way Up" is usually ignored, writing "Fragile" anywhere usually warrants a good boot when being processed. Used to work trunking parcels on nightshift (seen them being kicked down the belt to the trailer) and "This Way...
  7. bar72

Technics SL-1210mk2 Tonearm Feedback

Just checked with an old Ortofon Concorde DJ Cartridge and hum gone. The Ortofon Brand New.. edit: If I remove AT95 stylus from cartridge body, everything silent. When I reseat stylus, feeback is back. Is this a knackered stylus? edit: All good with another AT Cart. AT95 must been DOA
  8. bar72

Technics SL-1210mk2 Tonearm Feedback

Just picked up a NOS Technics SL-1210mk2. Never been used. Fitted an Ortofon SH-4 Heashell with an AT95e cart that was lying around to get it up and running but when it's powered up, with no vinyl spinning and I tap the armwand or use the armwand lock, I can hear feedback through the speakers...
  9. bar72

New Cartridge Tool.

Something worthy of having with my fat fingers. I currently use a stanley blade to get tags off at the moment so's to ensure I don't snap 'em (nothing worse).
  10. bar72

Pro-ject Debut Carbon woes, regret, and acceptance.

Just bought a Debut Carbon DC with Acrylic Platter for £120 GBP a month ago. The thing had a nasty hum with the default RCA's but after swapping them out for Cambridge Interconnects, no hum. Ran pitch perfect but I quickly found out that the arm was the limiting factor on this table. Limited...
  11. bar72

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Cartridge Upgrade Options?

No speed box built in but it has the DC motor and sounds great on the piano notes. Glad to hear you mentioned the Blue as it's relatively cheap and tracks way better than the Red. Thanks for the info..
  12. bar72

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Cartridge Upgrade Options?

So I picked up a Debut Carbon DC for next to nothing. Not a patch on my Technics / Rega setup but would do as a backup table. Problem I'm having is upgrading the cartridge on such a light arm, arm mass is 6 gram, ideal for Ortofon carts but I'm more of an Audio Technica listener. Am I correct...
  13. bar72

Best turntable for entry level audiophile?

I just picked up a Project Debut Carbon DC with the 2M Red for 100GBP last night. I'm lucky with this TT as there was hum but swapping out RCA / Earth leads for decent ones cured that. Runs bang on pitch with much better wow / flutter than any Rega p1 / p3 that I've owned and is pretty much...
  14. bar72

Adjusting VTA on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC?

Graverobbing this post but FWIW, just picked up a Debut Carbon DC with the 2M Red and it's actually sitting slightly "Tail Down" when checked with bubble level. I'm planning on transplanting my AT150MLx from my old TT as the 2M is 18mm in height and the AT150MLx is 17.2mm, so VTA should be spot on.
  15. bar72

DAC under $200

I have no idea as I only use it to play FLAC from my USB Drives using mOOde..
  16. bar72

Big problem with 1210 Mk2 Technics

Q201 / R202 may need checking / resoldering. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSYgaBfrao or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LhM2NYb4yA
  17. bar72

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Technics SL-120 Rega RB300 Arm with Litz Rewire, Foam Fill, Counterweight Spring Disabled & Seperate Earth. Audio Technica AT150MLx Cartridge
  18. bar72

where to source for technics turntable sl1200mk3 or above please

I couldn't get a decent 1200 Mk II or any other for less than 350 GBP here in UK. Ended up with an SL-120 for 150 GBP which I had a lot of pitch troubles with, after 20 minutes running, until I recapped the entire PCB Control Board.
  19. bar72

Is there always a base level of noise from records?

It's just swish, part of vinyl, part of life I think John Peel once said ;)
  20. bar72

DAC under $200

get a Raspberry pi3 Model B with the Pi-DAC+ card. Has a Burr Brown chip in it and sound's superb. Total to build it is under 100GBP. Install Raspian lite from SDCard them get mOOde Audio Player or similar and connect to your LAN / Removable Drives, etc and the line out to an input on your...
  21. bar72

Slight crackle and pop on new vinyl

Just Bought the new Bodega album on Teal Coloured Vinyl, absolute click / cracklefest. Went and bought the Black Vinyl and it was as bad. Seems there's no quality control in pressing plants nowadays as I also bought the new Dream Wife album and it was the same with a lot of surface noise. I...
  22. bar72

Technics SL-1200 mk1 too fast

Thank You again. I'll add that to the order..
  23. bar72

Thank you for going to all the trouble of sourcing the caps. I'll get all them ordered up today, as well as another set for the spare board I have now. Once again, really appreciate all the help you've provided. I bought this TT blind on eBay and thought it was heading for the rubbish pile.
  24. bar72

Which turntable to my new system

Rega deck I've just got rid of. Too many pitch variations, even after upgrading just about everything I could on it, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, had hum issues so I'd stay clear of that. Technics 1200 is the way to go, if you can get a good one. The good thing with the Technics is there's plenty...
  25. bar72

I have no idea about electronics. Just youtubed a couple of test caps videos and guy reckoned I could test in circuit. I've only got basic multimeter so cannot test ESR, etc. Anyway, I had an old power supply board to test desoldering caps so I managed to get C14 replaced, ran deck for 30 min...
Back
Top Bottom