Search results

1. tarior

Quick question about 2270 Snubber

Not likely.
  2. tarior

What are you drinking now?

Guinness Extra Stout, making Irish stew.
  3. tarior

Yeah. Last time I was in WA, I bought a metric buttload of beers to bring home with me.
  4. tarior

Just got home from the range, time for some cleaning, and some beer and tunes.
  5. tarior

Arran 10 year old.
  6. tarior

Outside on a lovely Kansas evening.
  7. tarior

Bad volume pot

There is nothing on the market that I know of that is a direct fit and has loudness taps. What so many people don't get about electronics is that just because they got it cheap, doesn't mean it is cheap to fix. Especially if they want it fixed properly.
  8. tarior

Bad volume pot

Often, yes, being completely worn out by excessive dirt and/or excessive/improper cleaning is the problem. Sometimes, it is just crud that won't flush out with contact cleaner alone. Sometimes, it is the metal wiper and contacts that are oxidized and need to be manually cleaned. There are no...
  9. tarior

Bad volume pot

Yikes. That one looks like it was hit by lightning. It's not as if it will burn the house down if done incorrectly. It just won't work. I've fixed a few (conductive plastic) pots that wouldn't respond to DeOxit alone by taking them apart and gently cleaning the tracks with a DeOxit soaked...
  10. tarior

Using smart strip to eliminate damage to power amp or speakers

I also have one of those Adcom ACE-515 sequencers. Highly recommend it.
  11. tarior

Bad volume pot

Take it apart (carefully, mind you), clean everything manually, lube, reassemble, and give it a whirl. If it works, great! If not, you're no worse off than you were before.
  12. tarior

Fort George, one thing I miss about the PNW.
  13. tarior

That sure doesn't look like Seattle! :D
  14. tarior

Concept 11.0 (She's dead, Jim).

Gotta love the easy fix that's so easy you don't even consider it at first. :D I've said this before, but IMO, the 11.0 is the best sounding of all the Concept line of receivers. I think you'll be thrilled with it.
  15. tarior

I've been pretty good all week. Lost three pounds. Having an Upslope Spruce Tip IPA.
  16. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

Maybe I'm reading you wrong, and if I am, I'm ready to stand corrected, but it seems like you are framing the unwillingness to repair SMD type gear as either incompetence or laziness on the part of the techs out there. Which I find a little insulting. From the business side, there is no point...
  17. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

I think I've mentioned previously that, from a manufacturing standpoint, SMD/multilayer boards make a whole lot of sense. Properly implemented, the cost savings over single layer, through hole, hand populated boards are substantial. Huge in fact. The consumer gets a lower cost item that can...
  18. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

Not to come off as adversarial, but I have never heard that criticism come from someone with the knowledge and the skills in hand. There is a reason no one really works on this stuff, or if they do, only in a very limited way. Especially if they have to make money doing it.
  19. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

Hey, if it's still working for you and you are satisfied with it, there no sense in replacing it.
  20. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

OK, it may not have been top priority, but it also was much more than just an afterthought. Those units, by and large, were built with removable top and bottom panels to give access to the boards. Most functions were on separate boards, which really simplifies troubleshooting, and service...
  21. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

It's true that all of the electronic principles still apply, so in that way, it is true that they aren't any more difficult to repair. However, the reduced size and much greater component population density, along with traces that may be several layer definitely ups the difficulty factor. They...
  22. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

I don't think I said the build quality was necessarily inferior. It's my position that most units that use SMDs are not meant to be repaired by design.
  23. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

The problem with SMD/multilayer boards is that troubleshooting them at the component level often puts the time factor well beyond what anyone will pay for the repair. That time factor really gets large if there are no service documents. For warranty service on such units, the factory either...
  24. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

If anyone wants to show me how it's done, this old dog is always up for learning new tricks.
  25. tarior

New vs Old......I'm sold

While I might agree that a lot of modern gear is durable and reliable, when it does eventually have a failure, much of it is very difficult if not virtually impossible to repair due the use of SMD components, multi-layer boards, and a complete lack of published service documentation. A friend...
Back
Top Bottom