Search results

1. gtv2000

I really like my new lens

I finally decided on a long zoom - it was between the Tamron and Sigma 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500. In the end Nikon compatibility and the 5.6 constant aperture won out. First test shots of my dog in the back yard were very good! This is at 360mm (540 equivalent on my D7500) wide open...
  2. gtv2000

ADS L710 Restoration

You may have seen the BT ad for a pair of L710s in need of work. As a fan of my L520s for nearly 40 years I've always wanted to try some three-ways, so I drove up to Denver and picked these up from @ontheroad303. They were pretty rough, but they sounded good.
  3. gtv2000

Replacement tube sockets for Heathkit W4-AM?

I have two W4-AMs of different histories that have been recapped and modified. I was thinking that for a winter project I might just strip them down and redo everything, including new tube sockets. It appears the Belton octals are too big to bottom mount in the existing chassis holes. The...
  4. gtv2000

We had to stop and take the picture.

5. gtv2000

Ultrasonic cleaner repair

About 6 months ago I bought a 6L ultrasonic cleaner and built a DIY record cleaner ( https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-ultrasonic-setup.931823/ ). This morning the switch to start the cleaner stopped working unless I really pressed on it. Turns out it was an easy fix.The...
  6. gtv2000

Added a couple of Heathkit WA-P2s

A couple of months ago I bought two Heathkit W4-AM amps and have been using them with a Marantz 2235B as a pre-amp. What do you know, a CL ad popped up for two WA-P2 pre-amps for a price too low to resist. After a quick recap I hooked them up and they sounded great. The only problem was the...
  7. gtv2000

Dipping my toe into the water

Lately I've been itching to try out some tubes. I thought about buying a new ST-70 kit or an old Dynakit and refurbing it, but I found a Heathkit W4-AM on local Craigslist. Given that my first real stereo was a Heathkit AA-32 that my dad built with me and my brother back in the late sixties I...
  8. gtv2000

My Ultrasonic setup

I thought I'd give this a try. I've used a SpinClean, then a vacuum wand, but I had a little extra PayPal cash so I bought a 6L Ultrasonic cleaner. After looking at various YouTube videos about DIY setups I thought of this one. The motor is a Amazon 10 RPM one, which I realized after I...
  9. gtv2000

Picked up an AKAI 280D-SS

I saw this on the bay and it was local so I didn't have to pay shipping. It was stated as "Doesn't power up" so I figured it might be simple to fix - maybe just the tension lever and an unknowing seller. I got it home and it powered up right away, but I got no sound out of it. I figured it...
  10. gtv2000

Thorens TD-160 new bottom board

I made a new board for the bottom of my TD-160. It's 3/4 MDF painted black, cut the same way as the original masonite one, edges rounded over. I just used some rubber feet from Home Depot. I like the way it raises the plinth up. The dust cover used to really overwhelm the plinth. Who knows if...
  11. gtv2000

Thanks Markshan

I just completed my second purchase of LPs from @markshan . Both times the records were described very accurately, fairly priced, and shipped quickly and well packed. Thanks!
  12. gtv2000

Dahlquist DQ-10 refurb. (was Look what followed me home today!)

Complete setup, the stands have some water damage. Needs a lot of cleaning, refoaming, recapping, and maybe mirroring. Seller said maybe one midrange is out. Should be a fun project to mate with my PL400 to WOPL project! For search Dahlquist DQ-10 subwoofer refurbish before pictures
  13. gtv2000

Thanks mrjbq!

Some more great feedback for Brad (mrjbq) on the PL400. Nice unit, arrived quickly and safely due to a great packing job!
  14. gtv2000

USB Microscope

I noticed a record I knew pretty well sounded off, so I looked at the stylus. To my (60 year old with bifocals) eyes it looked okay, but I decided to get out my USB microscope. Before Sounds better after And here's the one I put on while I was examining the other And after The...
  15. gtv2000

This always happens...

Whenever I have someone coming over to buy speakers I set them up in the living room on top of my towers (Advent Heritage) and hook them up so they can listen before they buy. And the speakers always sound so good there. Today it's a pair of Smaller Advents. Man, they sound good for their...
  16. gtv2000

Another pair of ADS in the house

For some reason I love the look and sound of the early eighties ADS two-ways with the metal grills. Those are newly acquired L420s stacked with the L520s I bought new in 1982. In the boxes are another set of L520s just received from the bay!
  17. gtv2000

Fun music website to play with

https://www.music-map.com/ If you give it an artist you like it gives you a map of other artists you might like. It's based on peoples likes, not any analysis of music style. Totally non-commercial.
  18. gtv2000

Problem with ADS Tweeters - Fixed by Richard So!

I recently bought a pair of L500s for cheap and when I listened to them there was obviously something wrong with the high end. I messed with the crossover to no real improvement so I decided to look at the tweeters themselves (One inch domes). The other one looks similar to this as well...
  19. gtv2000

What I used for fabric on my Smaller Advents

I bought a set of smaller Advents a couple of years ago and the had a fabric on them that was too light in color, too tight/heavy a weave, and the staples protruded somewhat through the front. I finally got around to working on them. I chose this fabric...
  20. gtv2000

Receiver shorts tape monitor input when in "Source" position

I'm trying to use a Akai RTR deck with an older Kenwood reciever and was having issues making a recording. After a little troubleshooting and research I realized that the Kenwood shorts the tape monitor input to ground when the tape monitor switch is in the source position. Presumably this is...
  21. gtv2000

Just for grins a Heathkit deck

Being a fan of Heathkit and Advent, when I saw a Heathkit AD-1530 cassette deck on the bay for cheap I couldn't resist getting it. It uses the same Wollensak transport as the Advent 201. The seller said it needed a need pinch roller as it had turned to goo, but I checked and could get one so I...
  22. gtv2000

Playing all my LPs

Since I retired 6 months ago one of my projects has been to clean and play all my LPs. I probably have 500-600, maybe more between my wife's and mine that we've had for the past 45 years. Some probably haven't been played in 40 years and have been moved/stored a lot, so I want to check...
  23. gtv2000

Loving my B&O

I've had some of my LPs over 45 years, have moved around a lot - I figure with college and everything I've moved some of them over twenty times and stored them in some bad ways. When I moved from college to my first job they spent 3 weeks in the trunk of my car. Some of them have some nasty...
  24. gtv2000

Good Karma

I've been looking for a fourth set of Walnut OLAs just for symmetry's sake. I've been watching CL for about a year. Monday a set in real nice shape came up and I responded that I'd buy them. The guy responded that he'd meet me in a parking lot of a local supermarket. In all my CL purchases...
  25. gtv2000

What I enjoy about vintage...

Bought a KLH Model Twenty system today. Loved the look of the turntable and Amp section and the speakers sounded good. The guy briefly played a record and it sounded good. When I got it home and tried it out I realized that the auto start didn't work and the arm would not go all the way to...
Back
Top Bottom