Search results

1. jt01

WW2 Tales, Diary of A German POW, an extraordinary YouTube Channel

I find the story of Georg Gartner fascinating - details here so I will not elaborate. Also, my father-in-law is buried in the Fort Custer cemetery, near Battle Creek Michigan. Also in the cemetery are the graves of 16 German POWs who worked on farms in the area. They were killed in 1945 when the...
  2. jt01

any Lonesome Dove fans?

The url above is not current - try https://www.thewittliffcollections.txst.edu/collections/lonesome-dove.html
  3. jt01

What are some obscure/rare/hard to find movies that you enjoy?

As I was a fan of the Hunter Thompson books, I went to see Where the Buffalo Roam when it came out in 1980. I was disappointed and remember thinking there was only one good scene, so I haven't tried to watch it since. Maybe I should reconsider that. BTW, the one good scene was as follows...
  4. jt01

A $113 Dollar Power Amp experiment

Let us know your test results. Thanks for doing this.
  5. jt01

Music Documentaries to Watch

There are a lot of stories about this. Both the Stones and James Brown wanted to close the show and, for whatever reason, the Stones won out. Then James Brown said "Just you wait" and gave the resulting performance that worked the crowd into an incredible frenzy. Supposedly it took an hour to...
  6. jt01

Music Documentaries to Watch

Not exactly a documentary but I really enjoyed the Disney Plus video of Elton John's last concert in his Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour, held last November at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Great band - great sound - 4K HDR video. Even the wife was impressed, not an easy thing to do.
  7. jt01

RIP David Crosby

I saw Crosby and Nash several times in the early 70s - they were good and the concerts were fine in the moment but didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I had the Deja Vu album back in the day and it was obviously a classic but I eventually moved on to other things. However, I do have a...
  8. jt01

Jeff Beck has passed away.

When John Lennon was killed in 1980, CBS newsman Walter Cronkite led off the nightly news with "Today the world mourns the death of a man who sang and played the guitar". For Jeff I say "Today the world mourns the death of a man who made the guitar sing". RIP Mr. Beck P.S. This is an excellent...
  9. jt01

4K DVD

No
  10. jt01

4K DVD

It should also be noted that a 4K Blu-ray will not play on a standard blu-ray player - you'll need a 4k player like this one and a 4k TV to see the higher resolution. No affiliation.
  11. jt01

Best band that didn’t get famous.

Glass Harp - Started in Ohio in the late 60s - went on to open for big names and put out 3 albums before guitarist Phil Keaggy decided to leave in 1973 to pursue a Christian music career. The band highlighted the considerable guitar skills of Keaggy and still occasionally reforms. I saw them...
  12. jt01

New 4k TVs limited to 16-bit/48kHz digital optical output for high end DACs capable of so much more

I'm glad you have confidence in this as I ordered one. There are a lot of variables as you mentioned, not the least of which is the veracity of Amazon reviews.
  13. jt01

New 4k TVs limited to 16-bit/48kHz digital optical output for high end DACs capable of so much more

I think this is the same thing from Amazon for $30 (no affiliation): https://www.amazon.com/weJupit-Extractor-Converter-Coaxial-Stereo/dp/B07YNZBW1X/ref=sr_1_9?crid=VDF43F2SYNZK&keywords=wejupit&qid=1660746038&sprefix=wejupit,aps,123&sr=8-9 Amazon reviews do mention some sync/dropout issues -...
  14. jt01

Tony Dow passes at 77!

I read an interview where they asked Tony about his favorite Beaver episodes. He said - Wally and the Beaver want to go to the movies to see "Attack of the Killer Zombies" ( I may have the wrong title but it was something like that) but Ward wants them to see some of his old childhood haunts...
  15. jt01

What movies have great music backgrounds/soundtracks?

All 3 Lord of the Rings movies. I bought the soundtrack CDs and play them often.
  16. jt01

Upgrade from Sennheiser HD598

A quick question - does anyone have an opinion on whether the sound of the Hifiman planar headphones resembles the sound of Magneplanar speakers? As they are both planar, I thought there might be a resemblance. I bought a pair of Magneplanar MG1s in 1980 when I was in a basement apartment. I...
  17. jt01

I also had a Sennheiser 6xx for a while, but preferred the 598s so sold the 6xx. To my ears, the 6xx seemed a little muddy and the bass was better with the 598s, I have decided to give the Hifiman Edition XS a try and will reply with impressions after they arrive next week. Does anyone know...
  18. jt01

Anyone Old Enough to Remember TV/FM Stereo Radio Simulcast?

I remember a Charlie Daniels Band concert that was simulcast on PBS TV with sound on the local NPR FM station. Pretty sure it was in 1979. The band's keyboard player had a cast on his arm but it didn't seem to affect his playing.
  19. jt01

Will research the HiFiMan options - thank you.
  20. jt01

I have had Sennheiser HD598 headphones for several years and like them - good sound and comfortable enough. But I'd like to get opinions on what phones under $1000 would be a significant upgrade. Thanks in advance for all replies.
  21. jt01

Positive Experience buying records from markshan

I can also attest to the fact that @markshan is a very good seller. I recently purchased some LPs and agree with all of Johnny_Law's comments.
  22. jt01

Gifted AR-2ax’s

I will let others with more knowledge be the last word on this, but is it possible the SX-1280 has too much power to safely drive the AR2-ax's? The AR loudspeaker manual (not sure of the date of this manual, but in the Teledyne era) lists 20 watts as the recommended amplifier power for the...
  23. jt01

Hello From Indiana

Welcome to AudioKarma from a native Hoosier now living in Michigan.
  24. jt01

Ever Had A DAC Go Bad?

I had a low output in the right channel situation as well as rather muddy audio. Traced the problem to my Emotiva DC-1 Dac, which I'd purchased only a few months before. Sent it to Emotiva for warranty service - they replaced several components to no effect and finally determined it was a bad...
  25. jt01

YouTube Channel Cult Cinema Classics, or Cringe Cinema

It might be a classic right up there with Plan 9 from Outer Space?!!
Back
Top Bottom