Search results

1. S

First time you were blown away by a stereo?

I heard a serious system in the early 70s at an uncles house. I was seriously impressed at the time, but it wasn't for a long time that I realized HOW impressed I should have been. His speakers were KLH model Nines.
  2. S

Classic High-End Gear

My uncle owned a pair of KLH model 9 speakers--They surely qualify as high end.
  3. S

How to protect paperwork on the back of speakers?

Of those choices I would use spray shellac, which is made by Zinnser. The shellac would be nearly clear, and unlike the earlier suggestion it does not turn yellow over time. The paper itself might change color. Any oil based clear finish would be likely to change color over time. Waterborne...
  4. S

Cheapest cabinet repair(without looking like s**t)

Paint can work wonders, but contrary to what some think, it does require prep work. Step one is to clean the surface with mineral spirits to remove oily dirt, followed by a gentle water wash using just a few drops of Dawn dish soap to break surface tension. Don't soak, just gentle remove...
  5. S

Your very first amp? What was the first amplifier you had?

Dynaco Stereo 80 coupled with a PAT4 preamp. It powered a AR4x until replaced by a Dynaco A35. It was fine until I acquired Magnepan IIa speakers which really need more power. The power issue was solved with a Carver M400.
  6. S

What are the best value for the $ new floor standing speakers below $500?

This thread is on its third page and no one as asked what kind of music he or his family likes to hear, and how loud. Neither has there been a discussion of what amplifier power he has or expects to have. We are given he has a large house, but no details about the specific listening room and...
  7. S

Speakers are sanded, now what???

The mineral spirits does not speed the time for the BLO to cure. It evaporates rapidly, well be for the BLO has cured, and then the BLO continues on with the curing process depending on mostly on temperature. Neither does the mineral spirits impact the depth of penetration of the BLO. The...
  8. S

Speakers are sanded, now what???

Teak oil isn't a real thing, usually just a Danish Oil variation, generally with no special properties to make them work better on teak wood, which is an oily wood that doesn't accept some finishes very well. I don't recommend Tung Oil, it dries very slowly, calling for several days between...
  9. S

Great website for all you wood lovers out there.

Speaker hobby has inadvertently got me interested in all the different fancy woods out there. Next time I need a shelf i think it will be made of black walnut with a bit of figuring isntead of some stupid white plastic thing. If you look for local sources for wood a good source is...
  10. S

Matching subs?

I can't entirely agree. Subwoofers don't sound the same--in particular the difference between vented models and sealed models. Vented subs just don't fit with my Maggies as an specific example.
  11. S

How to determine how hard you can drive speakers....

Well your receiver is rated to output up to100 wpc and the power range listed for your speakers goes up to 150 wpc. BUT you still can't just turn your volume knob all the way to the stops. The point at which the amp reaches its full output depends on the strength of the input, and after the...
  12. S

Tung Oil vs Spar Varnish

Need more info on the "tung oil", many products with Tung Oil in the name are not Tung Oil at all. A primary example is Formby's Tung Oil Finish, which isn't oil at all, it is a soya oil alkyd varnish, that's actually pretty good. It comes in satin or gloss. Other tung oil finishes are mixes...
  13. S

Wood Finishing Ideas

Trying to darken a stain result be piling on more coats of Minwax type stain, which is usually pigment in a binder, often including dye, is not a good idea. The binder that holds such stain to the wood is a very weak sealer, formulated to have all excess wiped off before drying. Layering it on...
  14. S

Acoustic Research AR XA hinged dust cover?

Why a hinge? Just craft a simple rack that would hold the dust cover in the almost upright position. It would need to let the cover lean just enough to be stable. Such a rack would take only a very small amount more that a hinged dustcover would require.
  15. S

Remove Dent from Vinyl Veneer Wood?

I'd just ignore. The vinyl "veneer" prevents the heat dent removal method from working. (What happens is that moisture turns to steam in the wood, expanding and thereby removing the dent.) With the plastic, heat will only damage it--irreparably. You will be the only one who notices the dent.
  16. S

Emotiva Pricing Announcements

I suspect it's not because some end use customers might feel cheated. But, since Emotiva both sells direct and through dealers, having sales in the direct channel becomes competition to the dealers. Dealers object mightily to that.
  17. S

Magnepans

The SX1250 specs do list 4 ohms as the minimum speaker loan impedence which likely means the maggies won't cause drama. Power of 160 watts should be adequate. Still I'd be saving for a high currrent power amp to ultimately replace the receiver.
  18. S

Can you remove veneer intact?

You can remove all the veneer, but the chance of removing it sufficiently to reuse in large enough pieces to cover a speaker is almost zero. Not worth the time and expense. Buying new veneer is much more sensible. Woodcraft and Rockler are a couple of sources that have brick & mortar stores...
  19. S

Do I own the rights to this piece of art?

Not likely, if he were to seriously assert his right to the copy right. Possession gets you the ability to control access, but not the copy right.
  20. S

One big thumbs up for Howard's Restore-a-Finish

Howard's gives a quick cosmetic do over. BUT, it offers no protection against those water stains in the future. It's just a mineral oil and several solvents, including a bit of alcohol and xylene. It never cures it just slowly evaporates or is rubbed off. I suppose It's easy enough to remove...
  21. S

Chronology of Speakers you've owned?

My list: AR4x, Dynaco 35A, Magnepan MGIIa, M&K Volkswoofer, then moved to NYC student apartment, therefore , KEF ref. 101.,M&K 1250 THX, KEF model 100, Advent Legacy, Boston Acoustics A60, A40, Advent Legacy, Magnepan MG Ic. The maggies for 2 channel, real listening, the BAs and sub for home...
  22. S

Speaker stand size

In general it is better to have the speaker over lap the plate of the stand. Having the stand larger than the footprint of the speaker gives the possibility of creating unwantefd diffraction at the edge of the stand. Whether this is significant or even noticeable depends on the design of the...
  23. S

Dynaco

I preferred the extra bit of bass extension in the A35 that I owned. In addition, if felt the mid-range was a bit more open in the A-35. Both still wonderful sounding speakers of the box variety. (I gave up the A-35's for Magnepan's--not the same ballpark.)
  24. S

Looking for advice on a 4 speaker system in a 3000 sq ft Warehouse

What exactly is the purpose of this sound system? Is this background for warehouse workers? If so is there any noisy equipment. How long would workers be subjected to sound? Does OHSA have any regs. Or is this a warehouse being reposed as a dance hall or other recreational space? Too many...
  25. S

Re veneering speakers

You can veneer over veneer that is REALLY sound--no bubbles or lifts. You need to remove the old finish to get a really good bond. You also should expect to veneer BOTH speaker boxes. You will never get the new new veneer to match the veneer of the old box, unless you are a highly skilled and...
Back
Top Bottom