Search results

1. M

cartridges in general, any favorites?

I'd recommend a major turntable/phono stage upgrade before even thinking about a Lyra Titan...
  2. M

cartridges in general, any favorites?

Where to start ??? I generally favour moving coils; Grace, Supex, Sumiko, Denon, Dynavector, Koetsu, Shelter, Lyra. And a select few non-MCs; Grace, Grado, Audio Technica.
  3. M

Ortofon Mc 20 cartridge

The MC20 is ancient. In it's day it was nice enough but unremarkable. Like most old cartridges, even if NOS it's suspension is liken to have hardened and it may have zero usable life left. I would put your $150 towards another D103R.
  4. M

What Causes A Skip

Reminds me of the old days when I bought a record with a skip I would take it back to the store where they tested it with their trusty old Technics with MM cartridge tracking at many, many grams. That would usually be enough to dislodge the crud in the grooves that my low VTF MCs couldn't get...
  5. M

Energy Pro22

Still nice speakers, in fact Energy have never really surpassed the original 22 series. I've got a pair of the later Reference 22s. Be careful what you feed into them though and put them on sturdy stands, it's all too easy to make them sound bright and harsh. Also don't crank them uo...
  6. M

CD Player or Spaceship???

$7k for THAT ?!? They gotta be kiddin'. What happens when it breaks ? I was told that the CDM-4 transport is long gone.
  7. M

MC vs MM and the Preamps That Service Them

You can get a pre-preamp aka headamp that amplifies the phono signal to a high enough level for your phono input. These are straight signal amplifiers and do not have RIAA equalisation. Not as common as they used to be but usually the cheapest (though not best sounding) route. Alternatively...
  8. M

Precise Monitor 7 speakers - $75 ?

If they are in good condition and work, get them ! Their big brother model 10s were superb in their day. Designer Keith Johnson (Reference Recordings, Spectral) is a true audio genius.
  9. M

Going Rate for Sony CDP-101?

Orion sez $160. But why would you want one of these ? Sure it was the first CDP but it was also awful sounding.
  10. M

WTRP....budget TT alternative

When the anti-skate bars are meeting means no anti-skate is being applied. To get more anti-skate, adjust the thumbwheel so that the bars separate.
  11. M

That's a strange problem. If anti-skate can't be set it means the platter isn't level or there's a problem with the arm filaments. Assuming the arm was fine before you changed the cup... When you replaced the bearing cup did sit square on the plinth ? Is it facing the right way ? On...
  12. M

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars on SACD

Williams I can listen to but I thought Shore's Rings scores sucked bigtime, overwrought, full of cliche, serviceable but that's about it, just like the films...LOL Howard Shore may well be the thinking man's Danny Elfman, just not as fun. You might eventually find the Star Wars music...
  13. M

Why Spaghetti Westerns?

The spaghettis were also the training ground for the new wave of 60's Italian film directors, cinematographers, writers etc. And also allowed the world to see American traditions and values through non-American eyes.
  14. M

IME the WT arms respond best to slow, considered movements. The fluid bearing is actually very stable provided the factory fluid is used. Yes, changing cartridges can be a right PIA. Patience is the key. ;)
  15. M

Sony SS-G7

Hiya, Heard the R10's on my last trip to Japan (1997). That was the only pic I had on file, there's some in an old Stereo Sound but I don't have a scanner and back then I didn't have a camera :( They did sound crappy when driven by Sony electronics. Very etched and hi-fi sounding...
  16. M

Sony SS-G7

Longevity was never an indication of a product's quality. Yes, the Sonys are technically different to Yammie NS-1000's but that was never the question. The poster asked if they were in the same class. Nope. Here's a treat for the 99.999 who have never seen Sony 'stats. :)
  17. M

Pros and Cons, transport DAC boxes VS all in one CD player

Another pro for one-box CDP's: sound quality that can only come from perfectly matched transports and processors. The best digital sound I have heard has all been from one box players; Krell KPS-25, Wadia 861 and now the Reimyo CDP-777.
  18. M

Sony SS-M9 speakers... "what the heck?"

Hi Jon, Sounds like the bolts are made of unalloyed metal and that the speaker was exposed to at least a moderately humid environment. Or has this just happened ? Hex bolts are usually high iron steel, so it doesn't take much to get them rusting, though white powder suggests something...
  19. M

Sony SS-G7

How would you describe the G7 ? I heard both G7 and G5 (with a variety of -70's, 80's gear like Technics, Rega, Linn t/tables; Technics, Yammie, McLaren, Naim, Plinius amps). While the G7 was a little better than the G5, both were totally out-classed by the Yammie NS-1000M. The owner...
  20. M

Sony SS-G7

The SS-G series was pretty crappy, even when new. I had the smaller SS-G5's and they were adequate as speakers. Screechy highs, thin, hard mids and deep but loose bass. Flat, one dimensional sound that can go loud. Not worth mentioning in the same sentence as Yammie NS-1000's.
  21. M

SACD Question

Usually due to cost. Bass management is often accomplished through DSP in AVR's. To convert the analog MC input into digital and maintain decent sound quality costs money which may exceed the AVR's budget. HiFi News UK regularly test AVR's and their measurements show that distortion is...
  22. M

harsh edge to vinyl playback

That would seem to indicate the problem is in your records rather than playback equipment. Stop using Gruv Glide, get some decent record cleaning paraphenalia (eg. Disc Doctor manual stuff or a vacuum record cleaning machine) and see if cleaning your vinyl helps.
  23. M

Pics of the Oracle Alexandria..

Agreed. The Oracle Prelude, like the Linn Basik, was only offered to provide buyers with a low cost turnkey system. Many Alex owners never bothered to change the arm as they regarded the Alexandria as a stepping stone to a Delphi or Premiere.
  24. M

Anybody wanna discuss these interconnects and speaker wire??

Hahaha. Not anymore, the WP for the 21st Century has slimmed down A LOT, he's almost unrecognisable now.
  25. M

It is odd, but not peculiar

A pair of Wilson Audio System 7 speakers in giallo yellow :)
Back
Top Bottom