Search results

1. M

Speaker Builders

yes, +1 for @painttoad comments. Get a better starting point then do some work and get much further down the road sonics wise.
  2. M

Capacitor suggestions for 1982 tape deck

NP. Those should be good choices. For the bipolar caps, you may want to see if you can find the Nichicon Muse bipolar. They have a green sleeve on them and were made especially for audio signal path use. Since you have the boards this far apart, you may want to get a head magnifier and inspect...
  3. M

Capacitor suggestions for 1982 tape deck

+1 for @Okke 70s comments. Lots of choices even today. You may want to download the Nichicon parts list and look at ESR values, temperature rating and hours or life rating. Most of the capacitor mfgrs have longer life parts. Just be careful though with fakes. There are so many fakes if you buy...
  4. M

MC60 Joins damacman's lair

pretty cool. I always preferred the sound of the 60 over the 75 or 275. On those amps, the rectifier has an effect on the sound.
  5. M

Sony PS-X7. Worthwhile in 2024?

Really depends on how you define a big step up in performance. The X7 is a nice table but comparable to other mid priced tables of the day. The arm height is not adjustable so limits you on what carts you can use. When new the gel filled platter matt work well. Over time if not stored correctly...
  6. M

Apt Holman preamp....anyone familiar with it?

Not too difficult to work on. I used to work on these back in the day. Two of the more common failure issues are the protection relay and the voltage regulators. When you power it up do you hear the relays click in? if not then likely some DC somewhere. These are old enough now could also be...
  7. M

If vinyl sounds better than digital, am I using the wrong DAC?

that is true. You will have to spend more on analog than digital to get really good sound.
  8. M

Restore or Upgrade for Vintage MC250?

Unless you are going to source a NOS chassis, think I would leave as is. The switch will look better than a metal plate covering the hole. And the binding posts do make it easier to connect up more modern speaker wire. Get the amp reliable with the work your tech is doing and use the amp.
  9. M

If vinyl sounds better than digital, am I using the wrong DAC?

At that level the digital source may sound better. To really hear what analog can do you'll probably have to move up a few notches in table, phono preamp, cart and preamp.
  10. M

Can a Dynaco SCA-35 be used as a preamp only..?

Perhaps you may want to consider the Marantz 7 preamp clone. All tube, sounds pretty good and not terribly expensive. here is an example...
  11. M

Tube vs. SS rectification: Any significant sonic differences?

It really depends on the design, how much noise reduction is used etc. On older gear tube rectification does usually sound better but at the expense of some power. Compare the MC60 vs. MC75. Nearly the same amp. One uses tube rectifiers one uses solid state. Most will say the MC60 may sound a...
  12. M

Magnecorder Reel to Reel

Yes pretty rough on tape. Can't run any half mil tape on these.
  13. M

Sonus Faber Concerto

Really nice sounding speakers. Hope you'll enjoy them.
  14. M

Hard to decide… Pilots

The Pilot 232 amp (uses EL84s) was an excellent sounding amp. Only close sounding amp was the Fisher SA-100
  15. M

Guess im the guy who brings this back up... (tubes sounding better)

those smaller fenders had great tone.....
  16. M

most of the new mixing and mastering is all PC based. so technically is not even discrete SS, but all chip based. yes, I prefer a tube pre as well for recording. No comparison to much else. I have and use both the Avalon 747 (ss) and several 737s (all toobe). Warm audio is also making some...
  17. M

wow some really classic amps.
  18. M

Not sure its THD only that makes a difference. I have had tried to go to Sand amps (SS) 3 times from tube gear. Each time I get bored and get up and walk away. SS gear has a drier sound than tubes. And was comparing some pretty high end SS gear to high end tube gear. This was especially true on...
  19. M

Simple PC Music Playback

that is good. Tons of options out there for vinyl playback.
  20. M

MX1000 bad day

That DAMN magic smoke.......Once it escapes it is so, so. so tough to get it back in.
  21. M

Simple PC Music Playback

that will physically work to get sound out. If you want to optimize playback that is a whole different arena. You can get into really high-end DACs that will knock your socks off but you may want to consider what sort of budget you have for this before jumping in with both feet.
  22. M

What's your best sounding record? What's your favorite record?

Cool story. All the great crooners back in the day would release Xmas records. Mathis, and others would start recording them in May or June for release by Oct or November of that year.
  23. M

Just picked up a Topping D50s on Barter Town - having an issue

Love your story about the JBL user group. As to your Q some of the Schiit audio and Topping DACs can take data from the USB but also offer an extra port for an outboard power supply so you are not relying on USB power to run the DAC. Maybe check rhe rear panel on the DAC and see if you have a...
  24. M

Does it work without sound card but DAC installed?

If your server has a usb socket you may be able to install a driver for one of the USB DACs and get sound that way. Do you know what OS is loaded on your server?
  25. M

Cronus Magnum lll. Do I have a short?

once you get it on the bench, check the plate resistors. See if one popped. And if you are careful, may not hurt to power it up on a variac or dim bulb and take some voltage measurements. Just a SWAG but its possible one of the KT120s took out a plate resistor and all you need to do is solder in...
Back
Top Bottom