Search results

1. chguat

Thrift Store Speaker Find: Acoustic Professional Model 312

I have had a lot of good luck at the Lake Havasu City Goodwill at the end of snowbird season. Last year I picked up 3 turntables, 2 cassette decks, and 1 cd player there. I'm sure my wife doesn't appreciate it, but I sure do. Anyway, today I picked up a pair of Acoustic Professional Model 312...
  2. chguat

Generic stylus for old cart, or new cart altogether?

So I recently picked up a Technics SL-Q3, and I officially love this turntable, but I want to get it paired with the best cartridge I can afford. It came with an Audio Technica MK14SII cartridge, which fetches a decent price on ebay these days, but OEM replacement styli are in the $130 range...
  3. chguat

Signet Hitec 103 Questions

I have a Signet Hitec 103 cartridge which came mounted on a Luxman P-100 turntable, which is part of my budget classroom vinyl setup (I teach high school English). Anyway, there is an almost complete lack of information on the Hitec 103 online, and as it is a strange little cart, I can't help...
  4. chguat

My practically free classroom turntable system

I'm a high school English teacher, and it seems these days it seems I spend more time in my classroom than I do at home. This being the case, I wanted to piece together a system which would allow me to listen to all my records when I'm putting in extra hours grading and planning. Anyway, all the...
  5. chguat

Picked up a 2265 at Goodwill

So today I paid a visit to my local Goodwill because my wife called to let me know that they have the same teacups Jean Luc Picard used in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Anyway, I hopped over and picked up the teacups for a song (they can actually get pricey on ebay due to the Star Trek...
  6. chguat

Finding the Songs You Missed the First Time 'Round

I am completely baffled by the fact that my favorite song(s) on any given album are usually the ones I overlooked when I first heard them. I came across a perfect example today. Ian Hunter's "You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic" is a fantastic album which features the well-known...
  7. chguat

Show Your Child-Proofed Listening Space

So I've been noticing that 1) Almost everyone else's listening space is nicer than mine and 2) My kids would absolutely destroy most of your listening spaces. Seriously, my son would pull the tubes out of your SET amp before you even knew he was in the room. I had to put locking doors on my...
  8. chguat

Worst Album You've Played on Your Awesome System

There seem to be quite a few threads devoted to the 5-star albums we play through our 5-star-worthy equipment. That's all fine and good, but I'd like to know about the turds we've pushed through amplifiers and speakers which must have resented us for it. For example: I have a couple Milli...
  9. chguat

Yard Sale Prize: A Pioneer A-x5 Stereo Amplifier

So I picked up this little Pioneer A-X5 last week at a yard sale for a mere $5. I have since been busy deoxit-ing and cleaning the living crap out of it. I think it sat in a storage locker for a decade or so. Anyway, I finally got this little amp hooked up and I was pleasantly surprised by...
  10. chguat

2252B Bad Preamp Stage?

So I have a Marantz 2252B which I have used in my primary turntable rig for a few years. It worked like a dream for a good long while, and then the left channel started cutting out. It would never cut out right away. I could use the receiver for about an hour or so before the left channel would...
  11. chguat

New Guy From Arizona

Hey all. I've been lurking on this forum a bit, and I finally decided to take the plunge. I live in the tiny town of Pima, Arizona where there are very few people who have even a passing interest in audio paraphernalia. I'm a collector on a budget, so my collection stays pretty small, but I do...
  12. chguat

2252B Relay Replacement

Hey all. So I've been lurking on this forum for a while, and I've gleaned a whole lot of great information from you guys. This post is mainly to make sure I'm doing the right thing and that I take the proper precautions in servicing my 2252B. Anyway, my 2252B started having weak/distorted...
Back
Top Bottom