Search results

1. E

My problem is that I have a total inability with electronics. Try as I will, I've never been...

My problem is that I have a total inability with electronics. Try as I will, I've never been able to get a grasp on how these things work. My solution is to try to hire a pro, and who better than you? Would you be interested in, or could you recommend someone that would be interested in digging...
  2. E

Dave- My name is Ed Harbur, and after a long search, I've managed to purchase a pair of 4435's...

Dave- My name is Ed Harbur, and after a long search, I've managed to purchase a pair of 4435's. I'm having a tough time getting a handle them. My main problem is the crossovers. The previous owner was running them bi-amped, and when I auditioned them, they just didn't sound that good to me...
  3. E

MC352 questions

It sure sounds great; noticeably better than the MC7270 that I bought last year from a REAL reputable dealer, but then again, having never heard another MC352, I'm not sure what it should be capable of, or, for that matter, if I could tell the difference. Is it possible to adjust the meters?
  4. E

MC352 questions

Good points, all. The off/remote/on knob works fine but definitely has 5 detents past the off/remote/on positions. I guess someone replaced the original 3 position with an 8 position rotary switch. The switches on the back are both in the correct position. I tried switching the XLR cables...
  5. E

MC352 questions

After a long search, I finally found a MC352 that suited me. It sounds great, but I have a couple of questions. The on/off switch rotates clockwise 3 or 4 positions past on position. The amp is off in these positions. Is this normal? One of the positions makes a "mechanical" sound that sounds...
  6. E

Mcintosh tuners - Way overrated?

My personal experience is that I bought a pristine (looking) MR 77 off Ebay, but didn't much care for it and sold it after a few weeks. I have no idea what condition the internals were in. I couldn't decide between an Audio Classics freshened MR78 and a Magnum Dynalab factory refurbished MD-90...
  7. E

How old were you when you got your first McIntosh?

Wow, I'm right on the Charlie Randall schedule. My final kid went off to college when I was 55, and I found myself with a little extra money and the time to start messing with stereos for the first time since I was in college. As a Deadhead, I'd always been aware of, and wanted, Mac stuff, and...
  8. E

Importing a Mac from Canada

Thanks. At any rate, the deal fell through. Oh well! Ed
  9. E

Importing a Mac from Canada

I'm looking at a Mac amp in Canada selling for 3,500. It's close enough that I'm planning to pick it up in person. Does anyone have any recent experience with this? What are the duties involved? There seem to be personal exemptions, and NAFTA exemptions, but everything I've found on the internet...
  10. E

Next amp step

Well, as has so often been said, as long as you buy the Mac stuff at a reasonable price, you can always get out of it without loosing (much!) money. This is the idea behind my having two systems; I can keep a constant shoutout going. In the end, I'll sell off the stuff I don't like as much, and...
  11. E

Next amp step

Damacman- The "office" is actually a 3500 sf cabinet shop. I'm in by 7, and leave at 6 (so, you wanted to have your own business, eh?) 5 1/2 days a week, and listen to music every minute I'm there. This is definitely where I want my first string stuff. I spend little time at home listening to...
  12. E

Next amp step

twiiii- No, I wasn't aware of that. How do I deal with it? Ed
  13. E

Next amp step

Thanks for the input. Here are a couple of thoughts. In my case, I don't think that power is much of an issue since I'm using altec A7s at he shop, and M19s at home. Very little power seems to be more than enough. I'm assuming that since every component in my 2105 is 40 years old, and unless...
  14. E

Next amp step

I'm using a MX130/Mc2105 at home and a C46/MC7270 at work, both with big Altecs. I'd like to upgrade the 2105 to something with fewer years on all it's bits and pieces rather that sending it off for a recap/freshening. I'd rather not go to tubes. Ultimately, I'd like to end up with a 352, but at...
Back
Top Bottom