Search results

1. D

7-channel, US-assembled class AB power amp from... Monoprice?

The extent of the differences would interest me. The real ATI has a prettier PCB colour, I'll give them that. ATI really needs to do integrated amps.
  2. D

I'm certain it is ATI. Zooming in on the sticker on the trannies, it seems to say 'Amplifier Tech Inc.'. The transformers also have ATI's characteristic silvery sheathing with electric blue sheathing on the wires running out of it. Furthermore, Monoprice's advertising copy on their page is a...
  3. D

In a surprising turn, Monoprice have released a US-made multichannel class AB amp for $1499...
  4. D

This sounds spookily real on headphones.

Yes, its a cool effect, but has varying results. The theory makes loads of sense, but there is no affordable product out there to handle the customized processing to each individual's ears required for maximum realism. Smyth Research's Realize does it, but is priced at 3k.
  5. D

I don't doubt that from my experience with them. They have a very smooth,extended frequency response that may even be close to the reference response the recording assumes. I was just providing some context as to why people seem to get inconsistent timbral and spatial performance from such...
  6. D

For those who had varying results, it is because such recordings rely on many assumptions much of the time. These recordings typically use generic dummy heads with microphones inside artificial ears. The idea is to mimic the natural hearing mechanism with all the time-domain and frequency...
  7. D

BeoLab 90 - a classic has born

Er, no. Linn's implementation is merely EQ of room response (which has been around for ages); something like DSPeaker, Dirac, miniDSP, TacT and so on. It does not control directivity. B&Os approach is much more nuanced. It shapes the directivity...
  8. D

BeoLab 90 - a classic has born

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2015/06/30/bo-tech-what-is-beam-width-control/ Another article on what they are doing. Using DSP to shape the dispersion of the speaker rather than merely the frequency response. They are the first to bring it to the market to my knowledge. Its a megabuck...
  9. D

ATC SCM7 Mk3

That's disappointing. I hope it can be resolved quickly for your sake.
  10. D

ATC SCM7 Mk3

Just coming in to say that ATC SCM11v2s are absolutely stunning monitors and that anyone who is stopping by in Singapore should consider getting them here because our SCM7 and SCM11 retail prices are the cheapest anywhere in the world (so is our Marantz pricing). SCM11v2 retail here is $1650/pr...
  11. D

Yamaha to release modern take on the NS-1000M in 2016

Not really. The pistonic range is prmarily defined by driver diameter. Beyond the pistonic range, the driver transitions into bending mode behaviour (i.e. flexing within the cone to reproduce wavelengths shorter than the cone diameter). This gives rise to 2 schools of thought - ever stiffer...
  12. D

Flexibility tends to suggest less severe breakup as the cone/dome transitions more smoothly into bending-mode behaviour from pistonic behaviour. I can totally see that happening with Zylon, but we never know until real measurements are taken as breakup is also substantially influenced by cone...
  13. D

I should have been clearer. Everything has breakup, but the way they breakup can differ. Different materials and cone geometries have different breakup characteristics. Most metal cones have a very well-defined, sharp breakup point that needs to be notched out much of the time. Some woven...
  14. D

There is further explanation on their composite from the small black buttons with silver Japanese wording that lead to more informatiin when clicked (excuse the translation): 'It adopted a newly developed diaphragm of the speed of sound comparable to beryllium in all units The world of strength...
  15. D

Yamaha NS-5000 (Google Translate needed) Yes, you heard right. No more beryllium. Advanced composites now, baby. Seems like a direct competitor for the current line of high-end ES speakers from Sony, down to the fancy Hokkaido birch cabinets. The price? 1.5 million yen. Sigh.
  16. D

Just heard the custom monitors I commissioned...

Crossovers finalized (see picture). Regret giving my builder the freedom to choose my parts as the Mundorf caps are expensive. Not a cap believer, so I was hoping for affordable Jantzen caps. The larger Mundorf coil was my idea as I thought 1.2mm (under 16AWG and close to 18AWG) was too small...
  17. D

I would personally prefer the DSP active speaker route for a truly configurable reference system. Sadly my domestic circumstances preclude that option right now. I wish my Marantz was still here. It would have loved these speakers.
  18. D

Best "modern vintage" amps and preamps

Marantz PM-14/15/16/17 of 1994-about 2002. My favourite Marantz line of all-time. Thoroughly modern, great aesthetic, fantastic build. Selling my PM-17 for a mere 20% profit is now one of my biggest audii regrets. The original 32kg PM-15 is still my integrated amp holy grail.
  19. D

Thanks! Actually, this wasn't my first choice kit. I had a Jeff Bagby design lined up and disastrously commissioned someone in Colorado to build it for me and ship it to Asia. Turns out my country's strict banking rules prevented me from making payment to US credit unions. By the time I conveyed...
  20. D

Where to sell high end gear?

My personal favourite (outside of AK as an obvious option) is Audiocircle. Free too and sales is brisk from what I've seen.
  21. D

I'd recommend following the existing kit designed by SEAS, with the crossover in the picture above. It'd more than likely yield a pleasing result. My crossover closely follows the original, with the 2 resistors in the tweeter crossover dialed in by ear for a better balance. (the 1.0 ohm...
  22. D

Help chosing good (but cheap) "neutral" headphones

Modified Tascam TH-02
  23. D

Bad form to double post, but I just had another listening session again where we scrapped the Dueland resistor because it sounded like ass this time round. When I asked why, it turns out that the old-school handbuilt methods of Dueland meant huge production variance (resistors would drift...
  24. D

Recommendation for $2000 new speakers.

I didn't realize there was a price hike for the ATCs. They seem like less of a value now. Not when 1749 is more than the price of 11s locally. And my local distributor even throws in a 3m pair of silver-plated copper cables to sweeten the deal. You guys really have it bad on pricing for UK...
  25. D

Recommendation for $2000 new speakers.

I'll provide a cautious recommendation because the LS50 is to my ears a tad forward in some parts of the midrange and treble that can be fatiguing and sibilant. Agree that it is otherwise top-class in terms of extension, imaging, coherence and detail. Maybe light EQ would fix that with little...
Back
Top Bottom