Search results

1. mprince

Bernie Grundman interview on "Aja."

I've had an AA-1006 (fresh out of shrinkwrap), AB-1006 (but not in good shape). Never got the MOFI or Cisco versions. My mint AA copy sounds good, but the UHQR is on another level, easily in the top 5 of all my records. It is simply stunning, loads of detail and lush layering. I am also...
  2. mprince

What is a good entry to mid-end turntables?

True, typed before thinking. Should have said OR instead of AND. Still an impossible wish list.
  3. mprince

What is a good entry to mid-end turntables?

You can't get all of what you want new in your price range (IMO). My advice, find something you want and keep an eye on the used market. My initial thought is to look for a used Project or Rega, but they will be 100% manual. $300 in the new market really won't buy much, asking for auto...
  4. mprince

I want to make Loudspeaker Design into a career.

A long time ago (35+ years ago) I wanted to walk away from my engineering career to own a bicycle shop and build framesets in a back room. Even went to framebuilding school and mechanics school, looked at more than one existing shop for sale. Then I realized I'd spend most of my time working...
  5. mprince

I Recently Became An Audiophile.

I added a link to my post above,
  6. mprince

There's an active thread on that show (https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/capital-audio-fest-nov-10-12-2023-rockville-md.1041214/#post-16729590), you should post there as it looks like several AK members will be there, a good chance to meet them non-virtually. I am sure they...
  7. mprince

SOTA Star vacuum not working in cold room

Have you checked the air line between the pump and the platter for leaks? If you need a new air line, I have a whole box of the Tygon tubing SOTA uses, happy to send you whatever length you might need. It's pretty soft/flexible but it could have cracked in the cold. This time of year we don't...
  8. mprince

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

I would also consider contacting Donna or Christian at SOTA, I've had some luck buying used/harvested parts from them (spoiler: it's not cheap), not sure if they would sell you a motor plate, but it doesn't hurt to ask. With their trade in policy, they get in older tables when people upgrade...
  9. mprince

What is this assertion based on? Plenty of people likely disagree with you...
  10. mprince

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Slow day around here... Talking Heads – The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads Label: Sire – R1 3590 Format: 2 x Vinyl, LP, Limited Edition, Reissue, Maroon Country: US Released: Sep 1, 2013 Genre: Rock Style: New Wave, Art Rock, Funk
  11. mprince

SOTA Pyxi Initial Impressions

Well, it's good to my ears, I can't assume everyone hears what or how I hear ;). I have a second board on the way that I am going to build (with some advising/assistance) to try and knock down the gain issues a bit. The board (and components to populate it) were only like $35, so a...
  12. mprince

SOTA Pyxi Initial Impressions

It's a ZeroZone PRT-12A ChiFi "homage" to the Cary SLP-90 circuit. Got it loaded now with (4) JJ ECC802's (12AU7). Other than excessive output gain (solved with in-line attenuators), I've been very pleased with it.
  13. mprince

1st turntable

Nice turntable, enjoy!
  14. mprince

Steely Dan – Aja Label: Analogue Productions – UHQR 0014-45, Analogue Productions – AUHQR 0014-45, Geffen Records – B0035164-01, UMe – B0035164-01 Series: UHQR by Analogue Productions Format: 2 x Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Album, Reissue, Stereo, 200 g, Clarity Vinyl, Clear Box Set, Deluxe...
  15. mprince

Is it a SOTA belt or a generic one, details are important. Does the motor run smoothly with the pulley attached (no belt)?
  16. mprince

Also, I'd remove the belt and run the motor without and see if it runs smoothly. Could be that the cleaned pulley is grabbing the belt. It's all about reducing variables...
  17. mprince

Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon Label: Harvest – SHVL 804, Harvest – IE 064 º 05249 Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180 gram Country: USA & Canada Released: Sep 27, 2011 Genre: Rock Style: Prog Rock
  18. mprince

Michael Jackson – Off The Wall Label: Epic – FE 35745 Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Pitman Pressing, Gatefold Country: US Released: Aug 10, 1979 Genre: Funk / Soul, Pop Style: Disco, Soul, Ballad
  19. mprince

What are you drinking now?

Just opened a Baker's 107 (bourbon) after getting home from a few days of work travel
  20. mprince

How many Turntables do you have active at the same time?

Koa according to Donna B. at SOTA. Yes it's a Star Sapphire, good eye
  21. mprince

How many Turntables do you have active at the same time?

I use exactly the number I own - one
  22. mprince

Steve Winwood – Steve Winwood More images Label: Island Records – ILPS 9494 Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Santa Maria Pressing Country: US Released: 1977 Genre: Rock, Pop Style: Pop Rock
  23. mprince

Middle Kids – Lost Friends More images Label: Domino – WIGLP400 Series: Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Club Edition, Limited Edition, Numbered, Green Translucent [Sea Glass] Country: US Released: May 2018 Genre: Rock Style: Indie Rock
  24. mprince

You can also put a "Random Item" widget on your homescreen (in Android at least)
  25. mprince

Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes – Love Is A Sacrifice More images Label: Mercury – SRM-1-3836 Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, 72-PRC-Richmond Press Country: US Released: 1980 Genre: Rock Style: Blues Rock
Back
Top Bottom