Search results

1. Robie

3/23/24 - 1PM Northern Chicago/Southern WI Get-Together?

Hey All, It's time to host another Get-Together. I've hosted such yearly and similar events since 2006 (I think) either here in Paddock Lake, WI or Glenview, IL, primarily for AK members but also HH members since I'm a member there too. Lately we've had as many AK and HH members and some CAS...
  2. Robie

Thorens TD-165/TP-11 Tonearm Anti-Skate Weight

I have an old Thorens TD-165 with the one piece TD-11 arm tube (MKI ?). It came with a small antiskate weight that I've attempted to restring several times with multiple runs of thread and then tried the only mono-filament fishing line that I have on hand. However, the mono-filament line I...
  3. Robie

SE WI and NE IL in March - It's That Time Again!!!

Mark your calendars for March 11, 2023 at 1:30 PM for the 30th Annual (not really) Chicago Area Get-Together at Robie's Gee-Raj in beautiful Paddock Lake, WI. Many of you have been to these events in the past so you know what to expect but I'll post more info here soon. It's been too long!
  4. Robie

Pass DIYAudio ACA Mini?

Has anyone here built one? I've been successful in avoiding ordering one in the interest of fiscal responsibility but may no longer be able to resist. Only 5/W channel but Class A and for $125 complete (naked circuit board and exposed heatsinks) I think it's a steal. From what I gather, it's...
  5. Robie

Biasing McIntosh MA230

I've read the manual I have for this old integrated beast and have been able to figure out how to bias the amp output tubes. It was pretty easy and I don't know why I was reluctant to attempt it for so long. I have some NOS Sylvania 7591's in there now but have no idea how much life they...
  6. Robie

6SN7 Tube ID

All, this tube was gifted to me and I use it occasionally in lieu of the new production Tung Sol 6SN7 I ordered when I bought my original Schiit Saga tube buffer preamp. Unfortunately, all of the identifying labels have worn off of the black base. It has “racetrack” mica top and bottom plates...
  7. Robie

New Tubes for McIntosh MA230!!!

I finally made time to install the recently received matched quartet of new production Tung Sol 7591A's I had ordered in April. The tubes were purchased from Vacuum Tube Values as Jim McShane was out of stock at the time I ordered them. I have no affiliation with either but evidently everyone...
  8. Robie

NOS Zenith 6EH7 EF 183

A friend gave me one of these "new in a box" and I suspect it's a tube commonly used in televisions. The box indicates it's a "Radiophonic Tube" and that it was made in the USA. However, the tube is stamped "Made in Great Britain". I'm just wondering if it has any use in an audio context...
  9. Robie

Schiit Modi 3 - Am I Missing Something?

I've done a quick search of AK for how to hook up an IPhone X and recent IPad to my Schiit Modi 3 but didn't find a definitive answer. In a nutshell, I don't think I'm getting digital output from either device via their USB C jacks. When connected to the Modi 3, both devices continue to play...
  10. Robie

Double (AKA stacked) Dynaco A25's

Has anyone else heard them? I ran Double Advents for years. When a friend had his A25's at my house we tried stacking his on mine and it was a jaw dropping experience. If anyone has two pairs, I'd really be interested in your impressions. Thanks.
  11. Robie

ProJect Original Phono Box vs. Schiit Mani

A friend just sent me the Phono Box that he purchased some years ago but never actually used. It has the spartan stamped enclosure without a thick face plate and is configurable for MM and MC via internal jumpers. I spent time yesterday moving a TT and putting it into one of my garage...
  12. Robie

Chicago/Southern WI Members - Save the Date

Date: February 22, 2020 - 1 PM Event: 75th Annual Get-Together (not really the 75th) Location: Here at "Chez Robie" (AKA Moon Base Alpha) Directions/Address: PM me for Details
  13. Robie

blzatrl123 is Blazing Another Trail

While he didn't post much here, Mike was a delightful and welcome fixture at our Chicago Area Get Togethers. I don't know any details and have still not comprehended his loss, but Mike will be greatly missed for his audio knowledge, passion for music and equipment and willingness to jump in and...
  14. Robie

Chicago Area/Southern WI AKers - February 23, 2019 - Save the Date

2019 Chicago Area Get Together here in extreme Southern WI 1 PM to ???.
  15. Robie

Epicure Model 4 Sensitivity?

I know that most of the smaller EPI and Genesis speakers I've owned seem to be fairly sensitive ( ~89dB), however, I can't seem to find any confirmation on how sensitive the Epicure Model 4s are. Does anyone still have definitive information on their sensitivity? Thanks in advance.
  16. Robie

Mani, A Good Piece of Schiit?

Mine came Friday and in all of the preparation for the Chicago-Area Get Together I'm hosting today, I've really only had time for half of side of vinyl. Despite its diminutive size, it seems solid and very well made. I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded but have not really had a...
  17. Robie

February 24, 2018 Chicago (sort of) South Wisconsin Get-Together

All, not many responses on my previous thread. The date is 2/24/18 and I'm in Paddock Lake, WI about 45 minutes north of my previous abode in Glenview, IL in case any of you attended before. We will start at 1 PM and go til the last man or woman standing. This event is perhaps more about...
  18. Robie

ELAC Uni Fi UB5s?

Pulled the trigger and a pair are arriving tomorrow. Snagged them on sale as several friends who have ears I trust, have them and like them. I'm not going to go down the path of new vs. vintage as I have a fairly large collection of vintage speakers. Of late, I've been enjoying the newish...
  19. Robie

NAD 326BEE

Just picked up a nice used one (1 year old) and am impressed with it's hefty sound quality via some KEF F15's and my trusty old RS CD 3400. Plays much louder than one would expect given it's 50W/ch specs. Very solid bass and room filling in my 30' by 26' garage. More later as I have a...
  20. Robie

An AK Get-Together in Far Southeast WI and Northern IL?

Just migrating the two year old updated thread on a Chicago-Area Get Together a bit north. Construction on my garage commences in Salem, WI. Not ready for any get-together yet but could host an audio themed open house this fall. That is, if anyone is interested. Please let me know here if...
  21. Robie

Happy Birthday, Brian Walsh!!!!

Here's to you!!!
  22. Robie

Moving Sucks!!!!

Even though I'm excited with the prospect of downsizing, cramming my horde of junque into a tiny little cabin in Wisconsin has been a daunting task. It's been made all the more difficult with a smashed thumb from an unfortunate wood splitting accident. But, you should see the...
  23. Robie

Brian Walsh, Happy Birthday!!!!

Hope you have a great day and thanks for your help, yesterday!!!!!
  24. Robie

Any Interest in Another Chicago-Area Get Together?????

I've set aside February 21, 2015 should there be any interest. Please post interest here and we'll see where it goes.
  25. Robie

Blue Jeans Cable

Just got my third set of LC1 interconnects. I really prefer this over the Monster Interlink 300 interconnects I had been using on my secondary systems. To my tired old ears, they somehow sound clearer, cleaner and snappier. Put another way, they seem to get out of the way of the music...
Back
Top Bottom