Search results

1. Billfort

It's time for me to step down

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Looking forward to this weekend - a 4 day Jazz festival in town and I hope to spend the whole weekend there and outside with the kids - away from the computer. Think I am going to like a more casual approach to forums. :)
  2. Billfort

Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 32/384 DSD 256 DAC

Have you tried feeding it DSD128 (or even better - DSD256)? When it comes to 'tips' with some of these new sabre based DACs, I think this is one of the biggest and has the most dramatic positive impact on performance. Very dependent on the 'how' the DAC processes DSD and how you get there (to...
  3. Billfort

It's time for me to step down

Hi Everyone. This is something that has been brewing for a while now but it's time – I am stepping down as a moderator here. I started participating on AK a few days after the doors opened; it's been a huge part of my life for 13yrs and I've met some fantastic people here, many who have...
  4. Billfort

High End Turntables

Wow! Incredible tables guystp.
  5. Billfort

My "Cutting Edge"

Would love to hear more about these.
  6. Billfort

High End Turntables

Just beautiful. Would love to hear one of these done up right like this.
  7. Billfort

I need to try a proper British speaker...these should do (right???)

Great analogy - I think I can 'hear' what you are saying. :) I'll take the tequila though, thanks.
  8. Billfort

High End Turntables

It's great seeing a few ET-2 air-bearing arms in here - always wanted one of them after hearing a few in use. And a Maplenoll! Very cool blast from the past. I fell in love with the sound of one of their first models many years ago when I bought my Sota but it was just way too finicky and...
  9. Billfort

Billfort's system

Well thank you, but no airbnb at my little place. If you are ever in the Toronto area though, let me know. It has been a little surprising how old and new, cheap and expensive, store-bought (mostly used!) and DIY seem to get along together if you experiment, choose carefully and keep the...
  10. Billfort

High End Turntables

Is that ever a cool mix of components - would love to hear this!
  11. Billfort

High End Turntables

There's a lot more 'high-end' that this but here's mine; VPI Aries Series-1 table with JMW-10.5 Memorial arm On a Boos hard-maple butcher block sitting on an old Rata Torlyte 3-leg stand Black-Diamond Racing carbon-fiber clamp ZYX Airy 3x-SB low output moving coil cartridge Modded Sonic...
  12. Billfort

Recent activity in this forum...

Yeah, good SETs are 'cutting edge' in sonic performance only (IMO) but damn, do they deliver in that regard.
  13. Billfort

preamp - active vs passive test

Interesting - thanks for sharing. I came to the same conclusion years ago when messing with passive attenuaters and such. They initially impressed and had a kind of pristine, clear and bright presentation but a good active just brought the music home for me better. Maybe just the systems...
  14. Billfort

What was your biggest surprise?

It was my awakening - and why I've stuck with this avatar all these years. :)
  15. Billfort

That was the exact same speaker cabinet/driver combination I first heard SETs on too - an AudioNote 300B amp in my case. Almost had me leaving the big CJ tube amp I had in that shop for repair, behind. I ultimately found a speaker direction that had a better set of trade offs (for me) but I...
  16. Billfort

Going Digital!

Oh, love that album! Whenever I'm feeling like digital is maybe there for me and I can forget the TT, I'll put Somethin' Else on (or a few others) to remind me what is possible from that old nail dragged through a groove technology. :)
  17. Billfort

Oh yes - I had Altec 19s...at the same time as I had things like a 'monster' JVC receiver. 'wrong' pretty much nails it. :)
  18. Billfort

I slid into taking the room seriously a long time ago and got more and more serious about it as time went on so I agree it's of utmost importance but I don't remember it as being a surprise at any point. But hearing that first good SET, hi-efficiency speaker system - game changer, shocking...
  19. Billfort

Going Digital!

Interesting. Were these extensive listening tests on a high resolution system?
  20. Billfort

Which component has advanced the most in the last 40 years?

Oh yes - the 'step back' to SET & HE speakers (not full-range for me) was what advanced audio the most in my room over the last 20yrs and that side of things hasn't changed much at all over the last 40yrs. I'll take these old tubes, tube circuits and 70's pro-audio studio monitor drivers over...
  21. Billfort

Which component has advanced the most in the last 40 years?

That sounds right to me. I remember the first few times I heard CD - horrid, ice-pick in the forehead things that had me clinging to my turntable for dear life - a practice that lasted a LONG time. Now that I'm experiencing what is possible at the bleeding edge of this stuff though -...
  22. Billfort

Going Digital!

WAV. Flac is fine and I know the 1's & 0's theory thing says it's completely transparent but I think I might hear a little difference at times with flac and if you don't care about a little extra disk space and potential tagging issues (which I haven't noticed for some reason), why go through an...
  23. Billfort

What are the sonic goals of your better gear system?

I try to take in as much live music as possible so keep re-setting my reference and reasonable facsimile is it, but it is getting pretty 'reasonable'. :)
  24. Billfort

What are the sonic goals of your better gear system?

I want the whole system and room boundaries to disappear. I want to be transformed to that recording venue, Jazz club or concert hall. I'm shooting for a mix of components that can spin a full-scale image, as small and intimate as The Rex, as big and glorious as Massey Hall. I want to hear...
  25. Billfort

Recent activity in this forum...

Yes, it is nice to see some participation here Michael. I know the forum title and description is a little...different...but I hope to address that soon. We've had lots of bickering and sniping about what this forum is, isn't and should be but it is nice to see it starting to be used as we...
Back
Top Bottom