Search results

1. redisburning

If your Thorens table does not have an SME or Thorens Arm, post

stock arm on my mk I 125:
  2. redisburning

Considering moving on from Q701s

Yes, performance is best when everything in the chain stays in the 60-80% region. The amp is better at full blast than the PC. I think your thoughts bring up a key point, you dig the AKG thing. And I don't mind it. Can anyone else who has owned open Sennheisers comment on whether or not you...
  3. redisburning

OMG, Beats Sues Yamaha Over Headphone Design.

the shape is pretty generic isnt it? in the end the real winners are always the patent lawyers. not that I have a problem with them, it just makes me laugh to see people quibble over something and to see money get thrown around and in the end Beats' best outcome is to stop Yamaha from making more.
  4. redisburning

Im driving the phones with an O2 using a triad wall wart. DAC is currently handled by an Asus Xonar sound card in their Hi-Fi mode (ie it turns everything off; eqs, dsps, etc) I can put the O2 on high gain, turn it all the way up and crank the pc volume and it's still dead quiet. normal...
  5. redisburning

Heart DreamBoat Annie

what label is it on? FWIW I like 80s Heart but I look back on decades past without the benefit of nostalgia. I just dig cheesy 80s music, whether it's Heart or Prince or Jennifer Rush. To me What About Love? is just as compelling as Crazy on You although in very different ways.
  6. redisburning

The Perfect Rock Song

I'll second that. Queen had a lot: Breakthru, Ogre Battle, White Queen, Hammer to Fall, etc. Other than that several songs off The Darkness' Permission to Land: I Believe in a Thing Called Love, Black Shuck, Growing on Me would all be good choices.
  7. redisburning

Who do you think is the best guitar player?

I don't even think it's that. I play/played the instrument myself and was technically skilled and decently well versed in theory, in fact to a much greater degree than your average guitar player. but I am not very good at sitting down and writing a song, playing the same thing twice (kind of a...
  8. redisburning

well I owned my last pair of Sennheisers for 4 years. Saving up for a few months when these AKGs are only 4 months old isn't that big of a deal. I may give them to my mother since she complains real headphones are too heavy and the floating band does a lot to alleviate that.
  9. redisburning

Today's classical playlist

Im starting to think that my obsession with Elgar's cello concerto is moving beyond the realm of healthy admiration =/ anyway right now listening to Starker play Schumann's cello concerto in A minor.
  10. redisburning

Who do you think is the best guitar player?

the 5 people who have impressed me the most, in order: 1. Hendrix 2. Peter Green 3. Bill Frisell 4. Jason Becker 5. Buckethead honorable mentions: Jake E. Lee, Alex Lifeson, Yngwie Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads, Danny Kirwain, Al di Meola, Justin Hawkins, Niel Schon, Paco de Lucia, Django Reinhardt...
  11. redisburning

at this point I believe I have solved the problem by further tinkering with my playback software (ie removing crap) I think Ill just save up a bit and purchase he-500s later since I dont think Ill need to make an immediate move. the fostex's are interesting. I don't have that much experience...
  12. redisburning

an interesting suggestion but wireless is a no-go for me. is it an active setup with some sort of DSP? I must admit I am more inclined to go with a passive solution with a higher end driver.
  13. redisburning

One of the few complaints I have about my ~3 month old AKG Q701s is that it felt like whenever I would listen to a recording it felt like the band/orchestra/etc was playing with a wall directly behind it. I know this is a hard thing to describe, but I feel like they lack depth in the sound...
  14. redisburning

Do Most Audio Enthusiasts Dislike Country Music?

everyone needs songs about their lives. it's funny but most of the stuff that people in this thread have said they actually liked is the sort of stuff that the modern country music fan simply doesn't care about; Johnny Cash might as well be Messiaen to the average purchaser of a Toby Keith...
  15. redisburning

My First Foray Into Thorens

they are lovely tables, aren't they?
  16. redisburning

Old house, shaky floors, and a Turntable

well, your problem sounds pretty severe. I have hardwood floors and wall mounting wasnt an option for me so what I did was make a little platform under each of my feet of corrugated cardboard over an inch thick. my problems weren't so terrible if you were on the nice thick carpet throw but if...
  17. redisburning

Symphonies by the Pound, and for the Dollar

thank you, am doing. much more to my tastes I must say. it may take time to warm up to his symphonies, or I may never change my mind. Ths364 I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me but if so I actually like late Romantic and 20th Century the best. I referenced Bruckner as an...
  18. redisburning

Symphonies by the Pound, and for the Dollar

I don't know I have not yet found an adequate entry into Bruckner myself. Usually I will start a Bruckner symphony and a few minutes later ask myself why I am still listening to it and go put on something else. FWIW I don't find Haydn to be boring at all. At the risk of being branded a...
  19. redisburning

Decca Headline 7 - The Music of Harrison Birtwistle I have found the pieces on this label to be, for lack of a better word, challenging. they are jarring in a way that reminds you exactly how powerful music can be. and as I listen to The Fields of Sorrow I am struck by how thick the sounds are...
  20. redisburning

Modern music 2012-13 onwards what do you listen to.

there are a few bands/acts that are currently releasing music that I really like: Ellie Goulding Godspeed! You Black Emporer Crystal Castles The Darkness Enya Lana del Ray Norah Jones Susumu Hirasawa Buckethead Denki Groove Fun DJ Spooky Helios Low Macy Gray
  21. redisburning

Im pretty jelly bro. Right now I am listening to Previn conducting and Ashkenazy playing Rachminanoff concerto 3 on London CSA 2311 mastered by (Nick?) Dembling at Mediasound. I don't know what the deal with US pressed Londons is, did they ever press their own classical in the states or was it...
  22. redisburning

Yet another impossible to find clean copy of.....

funny enough I got a good copy of Individually and Collectively from my grandmother. I must admit that before tonight I had never actually listened to it. My dad told them they were awesome but he is pretty hit or miss on this sort of thing. It's not objectionable. Sorry you can't find a good...
  23. redisburning

Classic Rock Is A Cancer (Article)

ok. well I see it all the time. you may be blind to it as you are to NWA's talent. it's not a life I want, but it IS the life of the inner city black men especially circa the time the album came out. to me, it tells a much more compelling story than Rush because it is real. it actually...
  24. redisburning

Classic Rock Is A Cancer (Article)

NWA had more of value to say than any classic rock artist Ive heard. I'm gonna get the Rush argument but Rush is the music of old white guys and NWA gave a glimpse into a life that most of us didn't understand at all. If I wanna know about the life Rush talks about I can turn on the tv. And the...
  25. redisburning

New Alfa Romeo coming to the US this year!

lol maybe if they pay a German company to make it for them. the 4c is amazing in the looks department, besting the 8c for me. I wonder if the American market can support it though, most of the cars I see people driving north of 30k are ugly as f***.
Back
Top Bottom