Search results

1. Yukon888

Thoughts on HSU Research CCB-8 speakers?

For AKer's that have heard these speakers, I'm interested in your thoughts on them. There are a few reviews on them out there that are mostly positive, and I've read them all, but I'm interested in AKer's thoughts who have actually heard them. One of the things that interests me about these...
  2. Yukon888

Urei Model 809 for $750?

No affiliation https://albany.craigslist.org/ele/d/schenectady-vintage-urei-model-809-time/7646128493.html About 3 hours from me. Needs foam but seller will supply a refoam kit. Price fair? Anyone know how they compare to Yamaha NS-1000's?
  3. Yukon888

Yamaha p2200 some questions

Designed for commercial use but will work perfectly fine in a home environment. Beast of an amp. Very heavy. Puts out 240wpc. I ran one for a while. Good sounding amp, and I enjoyed watching the meters dance. One thing to consider is that it doesn't have built-in speaker protection, so if...
  4. Yukon888

Onkyo Model 30 speakers in NY....ebay.

Pretty hefty at 51lbs each. A pretty flat frequency response too.
  5. Yukon888

Thanks Ohighway!
  6. Yukon888

Not sure, but I would start a new thread in the speaker sub-forum for a better chance at an answer. Thanks for posting the pictures of the inside. Interesting speakers. Looks like alnico magnets on the tweeter and bass drivers. With the horn drivers, I wonder if Onkyo was intending to compete...
  7. Yukon888

Help with Focal Elegia cable replacement - Confused

MEZE HEADPHONES 3m Cable for 99 Classics https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756HSDNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 I use this cable on my Focal Elex with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter. It's 9meters (9.8 feet) long. Ergonomically, it's night and day better than the stock Focal cable...
  8. Yukon888

Vandersteen Model 1 - Tube or SS amp ?

Should be fine. I ran mine (1C's) with an 8wpc SET amp in a smaller room (12 x 13) and I thought the combination sounded very good. They're actually relatively efficient compared to they're bigger brothers. From the Vandersteen website, here's the specs on the latest generation: Sensitivity...
  9. Yukon888

Millett Uniamps

Good looking builds.
  10. Yukon888

Millett Uniamps

I also built George Anderson's Tubelab SSE using KT88's. To my ears, the Tubelab is a bit sweeter sounding, more three dimensional and nuanced. But Pete's mono blocks are still very good and I can leave them on for hours and not worry about using up expensive audio tubes. The engineers amp uses...
  11. Yukon888

Millett Uniamps

Nice looking build. I built Pete's 50watt monoblock version of the Engineers amp, the 50 watt Nutube / class-D hybrid amp, and the Sangaku headphone amp. All very good sounding amps. Somehow I overlooked the Uniamp. Had I been aware or it, I probably would have built it before the other amps...
  12. Yukon888

SAE X-15A Hypersonic class A amplifier - any opinions?

https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/d/rochester-sae-x15a-hypersonic-class/7615036466.html Not mine and no affiliation. Any opinions? Can't find much info on it. Claims class A and 150 watts. Can it really be 150 watts of class A? Maybe it's just class A up to a few watts, then changes to AB...
  13. Yukon888

Vandersteen 1C Advice

Yea
  14. Yukon888

Do High End Capacitors Make A Difference In The Crossover?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Nagel
  15. Yukon888

Do High End Capacitors Make A Difference In The Crossover?

Just anecdotal, but I've replaced crossover caps and coupling caps with Mundorfs and I thought I heard a difference for the better. However, I wouldn't tell anyone that they would absolutely hear a difference with boutique caps. However, the person that runs this website definitely believes so...
  16. Yukon888

Christine McVie Passes away @ 79

RIP. Thank you for the decades of wonderful music.
  17. Yukon888

Western NY Alert: Dave's at it again; Sansui 8080DB

Similar ad in Rochester craigslist. Same price but pictures and description slightly different. https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/d/rochester-sansui-8080db/7540819169.html
  18. Yukon888

List of Absurd Prices for Items - Fun thread for obviously enthusiastic expectations

The tweeters are not original and without a doubt inferior to the original beryllium tweeters. In any case, they are certainly not an appropriate replacement. One low resolution, blurry picture that most likely hides a multitude of cosmetic imperfections. Claims "great condition" in the...
  19. Yukon888

Looking for cheap headphones for testing rebuilds

Philips SHP9500
  20. Yukon888

Built Pete Millett's 50W monoblock "Engineers Amp"

Yes, I was intrigued with the use of tv sweep tubes. Happily, they sound fantastic. I have another tube amp - a KT88 single ended. To my ears, these monoblocks sound as good, or maybe even better than the KT88 amp. I bought a few extra sets of the 6HJ5's since they are fairly inexpensive...
  21. Yukon888

Built Pete Millett's 50W monoblock "Engineers Amp"

Some of you might be familiar with Pete Millett's "Engineer's Amplifier" - a distortion canceling push-pull amp that uses TV tubes. Pete designed the original version in 2009. These monoblocks are Pete's variation on that original design. Link - http://www.pmillett.com/DCPP_MB.html I'm using...
  22. Yukon888

Yamaha P2100 Noisy on Power-On

If you haven't already, I would start with contact cleaner (deoxit) on the power switch and volume controls.
  23. Yukon888

Farthest you've driven to see a concert?

The farthest I've driven is from Rochester to Toronto, about a 3 hours, 180 miles, to see the band Luna.
  24. Yukon888

Jim Seals of Seals & Crofts Dies Aged 80

The song "Summer Breeze" makes me feel fine. RIP
  25. Yukon888

Need some Ebay advice about a very rude buyer

Send the item, block the buyer, and move on with life.
Back
Top Bottom