Search results

1. embrown057

Modifying the speaker terminals?

I've been installing the DH Labs P1 pin connectors for customers for years, work great! https://silversonic.com/products/connectors/spade-connectors/
  2. embrown057

Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

Not this time, it's all me. It won't end till I'm on the road then I can get a 3 day brake and sit back and drive. The electrical wiring to all the equipment and personal system may take awhile to put in place. I had a separate 100A circuit dedicated installed here and will do the same @new place.
  3. embrown057

Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

That bench is for repairs and restoration, plenty of room for most amps and receivers 8x6. I have another 8x6 just for turntables and reel to reels. I'm in the middle of a life changing move across the country. Packing all the equipment and inventory has been mind blowing experience. Haven't...
  4. embrown057

Restoration: worth it to replace internal wiring?

Who uses all lead solder any more? Really, you talking 60/40? Next thing well be discussing wire and skin affect, more disputing won't get a better sounding speaker or help the OP. I use 20ga for tweeters, 14ga for mid's and small woofers and 12ga for large woofers.
  5. embrown057

Long term brass sustains its ability to resist corrosion compared to unplaced copper. Most fast-on copper connectors are tin plated making the connector magnetic also. Capacitance and resistance is also a factor in the connectors. You can find gold fast-on connectors at a higher price. As far...
  6. embrown057

NO soldering to the drivers, use brass connectors. I tin the wire, crimp the connection and run a fine line of solder into the crimp. Be carful not to overflow the solder into the connector, it will not push on fully.
  7. embrown057

Not only me, experience over a half century and a few hundred speakers rebuilds. As I stated it's the listener that matters, very few have said it made no difference. In those few cases the system and balance of wiring was at best marginal. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, I always...
  8. embrown057

Internal wiring dose matter. Upgrading to Cardas Litz wire gives a softer but balanced sound as where with DH Labs T14 has a more lively signature with brilliant highs. Then again some can argue more commonly found wire such as Beldin or whatever sound just as good. It all comes down to the...
  9. embrown057

Spec 4 Biasing

Bypass soft start always, still use either variac or DBT. Using the DBT while adjust in bias will limit current and give unexpected results.
  10. embrown057

ADS L1230

I need another set of speakers like a new hole in the head! Getting ready to move to OK in just weeks, any one want them I could get them as far as OK.
  11. embrown057

Stolen Telefunken 6SN7GTA

I always take plenty of pictures and NEVER accept returns. I don't sell much on Eb but know this has happened to more than a few sellers. Sorry for the loss of your valves, hope they blow up in there face.
  12. embrown057

BAX13 Diode Replacement

I show the BAX13 as a Fairchild part, high speed switching diode @50v/400ma. UF4001-shoud work fine.
  13. embrown057

Snell Type K Mk I Rebuild

Great Job, Peter would be proud of you. Snell's are and were some very fine speakers.
  14. embrown057

Best speaker enclosure filling

In my experience Black hole 5 is far better than filler of any kind. It's expensive but go's a long way. Once you've used it you'll never use cheap crap again. You can also use some strips of Sound Coat on the basket supports to cut down ringing. You can purchase it through Sonic Craft, Jeff is...
  15. embrown057

Deoxit Shield?

I use it on open contacts like the wafer switches for final, works great. That product dispenses large so use protection for the surrounding area. I did not have good luck using to finish any carbon pot, a touch of faddier lube works better.
  16. embrown057

Lost a family member yesterday...

No mater if we know the end is coming or a sudden crisis of organ failure were never ready for them to go. There more than friends or family, our bond with our animal friends is deep in our DNA. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Always keep the memory's and know you gave them a...
  17. embrown057

Nikola Tesla... where is the movie?

Need some big ball's studio to follow through, and why not. The real story of his accomplishments and ideas undermined by the wealthy and powerful needs to be remembered.
  18. embrown057

SA-9100 has no bass in the left channel?

It's like a light bulb in a house, one go's out they all do. Just replaced that same switch in the same model a few weeks ago. Had cleaned it multiple times and still had issue with it. Ended up getting a salvaged board with switches and used one off of it. The plating on the contacts was just...
  19. embrown057

Bias calculation

Most of the On-Semi's that are used run well at factory setting for the original device. The best approach is to start factory (mV/mA) with that setting and measure temp and distortion. Then lower it till you see your crossover distortion and record distortion, bias (mV/mA) and temp. From...
  20. embrown057

Hello from Peoria Illinois.

Welcome to Audiokarma.. I have family dating back to the very early 1900's in Peoria. You must be freezing out there!
  21. embrown057

Power amplifier makes strange sound when powering down

Lot's of opinions, and yes to the extent limited to the Adcom's listed above they do this. The correct answer is from our friend in Poland.
  22. embrown057

Public (pay) phones

Last time I asked someone where there was a pay phone I was told I could find one at Wal-Mart. Most if not ALL here in the US have forgotten them. I myself would love to have one just like the Dr. Who series. I'm assuming they got crushed.
  23. embrown057

Need help digitizing NASA tapes

Seems the military did several Nuclear test in 1958 like "nutmeg" . Is it possible it might be from that ?
  24. embrown057

The tape has multiple signals on top of a steady low frequency then go's to white noise at the end of side two. The tape is fully recorded on both sides. 2551-1 JIC 3.0 13 Aug 1958 -1 min. to Impact Code 66/641/01 13 Aug 1958
  25. embrown057

My son found a very old FM/FM data tape in Oklahoma. It's from a retired NASA employee that passed away last year. It's 1/4 tape and sound like all it was recorded yesterday. It's on Type EP Audio Tape so it has to be old, like 1950's or early 60's. There are some dates on the container...
Back
Top Bottom