Search results

1. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

Sounds interesting. One of the books I'm working on The Mask of Sanity by a psychiatrist named Hervey Cleckley. It's an old, classic work about sociopathic personalities like con men (as opposed to violent criminals). I read it a million years ago in college but I appreciate it way more now...
  2. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

That's my idea of a "full day" these days; hot tea, I've got a couple of books that I'm working on, and I tend to switch back and forth, and practicing my horn in spots. I haven't been posting albums in this thread much these days because the bulk of my "music time" is practicing, and my...
  3. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

Yeah, low of 9, high of 24 -- that's the prediction! Fortunately, not all that much snow here, at least not by Syracuse standards, but up north near Watertown, which is on the east end of Lake Ontario, there's a persistent snow belt, and some spots got over 4 feet yesterday. If you snowmobile or...
  4. johnebravo

Hobbyist Vs someone who owns a decent stereo?

This is really just a question about the meaning of the word "hobby", and I wouldn't get too hung up on it, because different people are going to define it differently. There's no agreed-upon, sharp line that distinguishes between what is and what is not a hobby. Ask yourself "When does a hobby...
  5. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I've got a Charles Owens CD; I don't play it that often, really, but it's good -- I'll have to get around to it again soon! Can't say that I know much of anything about him, though. I bought it on a lark because it was only $2 at my local record store.
  6. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

Yeah, Turtle Wax -- that's a thought! I never would have come with that, but I'm going to have to give it a shot!
  7. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I'm with you on Wilbur Harden. I don't think he was recorded very much, but I've got a Savoy double LP reissue of a session he co-led with Coltrane that I just love. He plays beautifully.
  8. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I heard that the Bills/Steelers game has been moved to Monday at 4:30.
  9. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I have to ask: just how does one go about waxing the auger blades? I've had this jamming problem myself at times with wet, heavy snow, and have resorted to just shoveling it instead. I wonder if WD-40 spray would function in roughly the same way.
  10. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I saw a lengthy and interesting interview with him in the Howard University Oral History Project -- it's in several parts: https://dh.howard.edu/do/search/?q=jimmy%20heath&start=0&context=11013659&facet= EDIT: actually that's not the one I was thinking of -- I one I saw was video. I'll look more...
  11. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

That is a thought, and a very good one at that. I haven't tried that, but I think I will! Thanks.
  12. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

No, I'm pretty sure it's not Bobby Short. Piano trio, but no singing. This guy's got me stumped. For most of the videos, I can at least guess one or two guys, and from there figure out the rest.
  13. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I've posted a couple of times recently about a jazz TV channel I've been watching; the titling is mostly non-existent, but I can usually guess who I'm watching. This guy has me stumped, and I know there's someone here who can help me:
  14. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

This is one of my favorite records of his, and there's a bunch of great ones to pick from.
  15. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

16. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I have to say, they do look like the most unlikely bunch of jazz aficionados . . . but I guess anything is possible. ;)
  17. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I have it on a Samsung TV that has a preinstalled Samsung TV Plus app, ch 1539. There is minimal to no info about performers or song titles, so you can test your own knowledge.
  18. johnebravo

Zelle/Bank Fraud warning

Probably the best thing anyone can do when they get a call like this is to say that you'll call them right back, and then call the published, listed number for that financial institution.
  19. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I posted about this jazz TV channel I've been watching a little while back, but I'm throwing it in again because I'm still enjoying it. SonOfJames helpfully posted this link before: https://www.samsungtvplus.com/ Just great stuff. Getting to watch Erroll Gardner's hands as he runs through...
  20. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

The first time I really noticed Gonsalves was when I first started listening to jazz back in the 70s and I got the Jazz At The Plaza record. His solo on Ready, Go made me sit up straight. "Jeez, who is this guy?" Blistering, pure energy and excitement.
  21. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

Clearly, someone's labor of love.
  22. johnebravo

Favorite “One Liner’s” from albums??

Frozen food in a concrete maze.
  23. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

Assuming that this is a cleverly altered punchline (it must be!), I'm going to guess that Bil Keane probably wouldn't have appreciated the copyright infringment, but I sure do. ;)
  24. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I don't know where or how you find most of the pictures that you post, but they're invariably entertaining, and sometimes amazing. This falls into the latter category. I guess he didn't have to adjust his embouchure much, but it may have felt odd to have to use his left hand for once! ;)
  25. johnebravo

Today's JAZZ playlist

I can't see Mr. Counce's charming smile without remembering this little story I read in an interview with saxophonist Billy Root about when he was with the Stan Kenton band (https://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2019/04/billy-root-interview-with-gordon-jack.html): “Curtis Counce was with us for a...
Back
Top Bottom